New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-09-25 12:02:53

~Eternal~

Re: Faster methods of travel? - Ion Engines, Wormholes, etc...

Well recently I've become obsessed with space ,
I always find myself doodling planets, space stations,
terraformations, but now I come to space travel.
Which root should we take? Which engine should we use?
Mars is only 9 months away, Venus only 8(?).
So what are your opinions on space travel?

I personally prefer the wormhole method myself.
With recent discoveries of event horizons and new
brilliant theories on putting point A to B.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#2 2003-09-25 16:13:27

Tyr
Banned

Nuclear thermal, nuclear electric and cycling stations are my favorites. I like AL and LUNOX burning chemical rockets for the Moon.  If and when fusion gets here, fusion will be the way to go.  If you really want to get whacky, try solar sails and/or mag sails.  Build huge microwave beam bases on Earth, the Moon and Mars to propell the sails.  Maybe we can get real fancy.  When our cycling stations come near Earth or Mars they can deploy sails and the beaming bases can correct their orbits so the cyclers stay in synch. with Earth and Mars without using any fuel at all.  Use nuclear thermal taxis to and from the cyclers.  If that's illegal, burn Al, Mg and LOX.

#3 2003-09-26 19:58:12

sethmckiness
Banned

I think the Ion engine will be the engine that will become the most useful in the nearterm.  With it's high ISP It is far superior to chemical rocket, if you can wait for the slow acceleration times.  As Solar Cells continue to develop and alternate power methods develop, I see Ion engine becoming more and more capable.  Just look at how the chemical rockets have developed.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#4 2003-09-27 05:58:13

alokmohan

Kip Thorne is very serious about wormholes.We may be daily passengers to other stars.

Board footer