New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-03-29 22:04:18

makzak
Banned

Re: Please no more guppy experiments - Lets explore

I cant think of a better way to stimulate the economy than by a bold message from President Bush that its time to head to Mars. Unfortunately he only offers us impotent leadership, and despite his talk of 'vision' his stewardship of the economy is reckless.
But we need to head out. Enough round and round in the shuttle; how many more 'guppy weightless experiments ' can we do.
Light those engines, and explore the oceans of Europa, which for all we know may harbor schools of fish like creatures; a discovery which would be unparallelled in human history. But lets start with Mars. Its doable, its a challenge, and our society must be challenged to be healthy.

#2 2002-04-01 01:27:57

Phobos

I cant think of a better way to stimulate the economy than by a bold message from President Bush that its time to head to Mars. Unfortunately he only offers us impotent leadership, and despite his talk of 'vision' his stewardship of the economy is reckless.

I've always found it amusing that the President is expected to have some magical ability to fix the economy.  Even if the President did come out and make a declaration for Mars he'd probably find a very loud mouthed mob accusing him of recklessly spending money when the economy is in such shambles.   But I agree with you that supporting an effort to get to Mars could be a boost to the economy.  It'd be a lot better than designing new bombers.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-04-01 20:17:40

Phobos

I couldn't agree more that we should siphon off a little more money for non-military ventures like education and space exploration.  I get the feeling that we're going to see a lot more projects like New Horizons axed so that some military technology can be developed.  Yeah, I agree that we need to do experiments that feel like they have the potential to increase our presence in space rather than testing how crickets react to weightlessness. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer