New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-08-07 11:50:04

Bill White

Re: The urgency question, - Superfast VASIMR Rocket in Funding Limbo

"Superfast VASIMR Rocket in Funding Limbo" is the headline of a Space.com article found at Yahoo!

I had thought one of the arguments advanced by the current administration for postponing space missions was to develop better technology.

Cancel Pluto-Kneiper and go faster in several years with nuclear ion drive;

Hold off on Mars until we have plasma drive, etc. . .

Now this!

Maybe we shoud re-name NASA as "The Emperor's New Space Program"  - - lots of pretty pictures but nothing really ever happens - unless it is Pentagon related

sad

#2 2002-08-07 12:25:36

TJohn
Banned

I agree, Bill.  It seems that everytime NASA says that they're going to do this or that, it's put on the back burner!  It's like they're constantly pulling your chain.  I begining to wonder why even bother with NASA sometimes.     :angry:

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#3 2002-08-07 13:44:31

nirgal
Banned

Wait a minute, it has yet to be decided if VASIMR gets cancelled. Maybe they'll actually get a lot more money by the end of this year.

#4 2002-08-07 19:14:46

Phobos

NASA seems to have this strange complex where they let a project develop to a promising point and then suddenly axe it after spending billions of dollars.  C'mon NASA!  Lets see at least on project come through!

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#5 2002-08-08 07:42:15

nirgal
Banned

Actually NASA has spent only about $10 million on VASIMR/plasma rocket development over the last 20 years. But I agree there are a lot of examples where they have cancelled very promising projects (X34, X38, TransHab, Space Tug, the list goes on).

#6 2002-08-08 10:23:57

Mark S
Banned

The most underhanded part of this business about cancelling VASIMR is that they "conveniently" waited to pull the plug until Franklin Chang-Diaz was just about to lift-off on his shuttle flight.  I'm happy that they were able to find funding through the year 2002, but the future doesn't look good.  I think that pressure from the ion-thruster community is killing whatever chance VASIMR had for a demonstration before the end of this decade and a Mars flight by 2018.

"I'm not much of a 'hands-on' evil scientist."--Dr. Evil, "Goldmember"

#7 2002-08-08 11:28:40

turbo
Banned

The bureaucratic "bean counters" have frequently squashed projects after large outlays of money.  NASA is not the only part. 

So, looks like time to launch something bigger and better than Conestoga One, big grins to the reporters, and look directly into the camera and say something like "We did it because we can and the agencies can't with their hands tied."  Then slip a little hint that those first on Mars get to claim Mars, and if the bean counters start to huff and puff, remind them that running a marathon is more difficult when one has shot oneself in the foot at the start.  Hey, instead of Conestoga Two, call the rocket Tereschova or Gagarin, or even Super Sputnik.  "National pride a little bruised?  Good!, off your butts, open the checkbook, put the folks back on the project before the 'average joe' REALLY makes you look bad."

Thanks for letting me vent that one!  I just got my Circuit Design grade to a "A", so OF COURSE for my birthday I get a quiz tonight. :0

Off to study, be well all!

#8 2002-08-08 13:55:44

Palomar

*I guess my ignorance is going to show on this one, but we're always mentioning NASA.  What, if anything, can or does the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California have to do with building rockets and the like?  Can they help with Mars Direct?

And happy birthday to Turbo!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#9 2002-08-08 20:04:32

Phobos

JPL is pretty much an organ of NASA that's hosted by Cal-Tech.  It basically does a lot of the designing and research for NASA's robotic space probes.  JPL's function isn't really geared toward developing technology for manned spaceflight even though it might produce some technology in that department.

The most underhanded part of this business about cancelling VASIMR is that they "conveniently" waited to pull the plug until Franklin Chang-Diaz was just about to lift-off on his shuttle flight.  I'm happy that they were able to find funding through the year 2002, but the future doesn't look good.  I think that pressure from the ion-thruster community is killing whatever chance VASIMR had for a demonstration before the end of this decade and a Mars flight by 2018.

I think this in-fighting between the various departments and projects of NASA is what irks me the most.  I understand that there's not enough money to go around for everything, but can't these people see they're all working for the same basic goals?  It just strikes me as tragic and idiotic that "competing" departments desire the death of a "competing" technology before it can even be demonstrated.  And if the bean counters were waiting for Diaz to go into orbit before cancelling the VASMIR program, not only do they have no vision but they're immature cowards as well.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer