New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-25 14:34:11

Palomar

Re: Space Cycle/Mars Muscles

*Hot off the space.com presses ("Astronotes"...column format, updated frequently; will copy & paste).  Can see pic of this contraption at space.com (I'd like a workout machine like that!):

Space Cycle Could Make Tour de Mars Possible

Pedal your way to Mars? Not quite. But an innovative "space cycle" that creates a miniature form of gravity might help keep a space traveler's muscles in shape.

University of California at Irvine (UCI) researchers are part of a scientific team delving into methods astronauts can use to remain healthy during lengthy travel times to far-off places. One early idea is a bike-like contraption that whirls a pedal-pushing astronaut around. Not only is gravity formed, but using the hardware can be part of an overall exercise program.

Kenneth Baldwin of UCI is leading a Muscle Alterations and Atrophy study group. Joining him is Vince Caiozzo, UCI associate professor of orthopedics. The research also draws upon the talents of scientists from institutions such as Harvard University and the University of California, Los Angeles.

The hope is to learn why muscles atrophy and lose their functional capacity in the gravity-free environment of space. With that knowledge, exercise gear and resistance work-outs can be developed. Funding for the work comes from the National Space Biomedical Research Institute of Houston, Texas.

No word yet about "backpedaling" astronauts on the return leg of a Mars voyage.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-05-25 14:38:06

Palomar

The hope is to learn why muscles atrophy and lose their functional capacity in the gravity-free environment of space.

*Um...because there's no resistence? 

--Cindy  roll

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-05-25 15:20:17

Rxke

Damn, so simple! That no-one thought about this before....

And it'll be helping against decalcificatio... errr bone-loss. Studies showed that intermittent centrifugal forces should be sufficient to counter the effect.

Cool. Now we have everything, what are we waiting for?

Sigh...

#4 2004-05-26 10:07:28

dicktice

Rxke: "Now we have everything" statements, are just typical of people who think [Cindy's] "early idea for a bike-like contraption . . ." is ready for use. As an idea, I think it's brilliant--but now, how about some contributions as to the different forms it might take? Obviously, the first space-worthy model should be launched up to the ISS on the first available Progress ship, asap!

#5 2004-05-26 12:56:30

Rxke

My 'now we got everything' remark was in fact ironic/discouraged..., i fully know it's not that simple (for instance vibrations, and look at the trouble they have at ISS with their expensive 'bike,' if falls to pieces every time they look at it in an odd way...

Problem is: even if the 'spinbike' was tried and tested on the ground, today it would be hard to launch it... Progress too small, European cargo-module probably already chock-full... And once aboard ISS, the overworked 'skeleton crew' will probably don't have the time to bother with it, the first months...

therefore my "sigh"...

Board footer