New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-09 08:01:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: 2005 budget year effects - How it will effect Nasa's Future

Well we are seeing the effects of the current years passed budget in the ranks of employee layoffs but what other side effect will this also have is a deeper question.

Nasa Marshall Space Flight Center to Cut 250 Jobs

#2 2004-12-09 08:29:05

John Creighton
Website

It is too bad more of the employees can’t be moved around to other places were there needed. Of course NASA needs the best in every department and fresh blood is important. It will also give them a chance to trim some fat. Not that that is a stated goal.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#3 2004-12-09 09:10:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

The fat will not necessarily be trimmed thou but other side effects will also be seen.
Such as the rationalization that the Hubble mission should not be done or at least the second guessing as to the least costly method. Mission cancellation, or of delay creep to launch dates. There are other facilities also being hit by the role back of employment numbers.

#4 2004-12-09 14:24:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well with the aging employee comes the problem of educating replacements.
SPACETEC ADVANCES WITH KEY FEDERAL PARTNERSHIPS

The SpaceTEC national center of excellence for aerospace technician training has entered into partnerships with two key federal agencies—the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL)—underscoring the importance of SpaceTEC’s mission to train the next generation of space industry workers.

WELCOME TO THE SPACEPORT CENTER...

BCC's Spaceport Center operates from the Center for Space Education at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. The two-year Associate Degree programs prepare graduates for entry-level positions in the aerospace industry, including both reusable spacecraft such as the Space Shuttle and expendable vehicles such as the Delta IV and Atlas V.

#5 2004-12-11 17:50:52

Grypd

It seems that NASA will need a new leader soon it is expected that Sean O'keefe will hand in his resignation soon and take of to become the Chancellor of a university.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.h … 6]Spaceref article

So who will lead the team taking NASA into the Bush plan?

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#6 2004-12-12 15:53:07

Vir Stellae
Banned

NASA could use a good employment overhaul with layoffs as a result. Since it's inception it has decayed alone with other bearacracies through self preservation trumping in importance ahead of its goal. NASA and other bereaucratic institution blackmail the legislaure through the threat of bad publicity through  job losses of fund cutting. Believe me, NASA could probably afford to free up thousands of useless and/or redundant jobs freeing up funds for the thing that are really important.

#7 2004-12-12 15:58:08

John Creighton
Website

Believe me, NASA could probably afford to free up thousands of useless and/or redundant jobs freeing up funds for the thing that are really important.

On problem is that the politicians see dollars per Job. A politician like Kerry may only look at the amount of jobs within NASA and not the stimulation in the economy created both through purchases and technology transfers.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#8 2004-12-12 16:06:43

Vir Stellae
Banned

On problem is that the politicians see dollars per Job. A politician like Kerry may only look at the amount of jobs within NASA and not the stimulation in the economy created both through purchases and technology transfers.

True, some need realize that the goal of business is not to produce jobs, but products and services, with as little cost as possible. Employment is a cost, but generally a necessity too. The employed then use their earnings to by products and the cycle completes itself... The other problem people dont realize is that employment is driven by the market, meaning the more rare/in demand your skills are the more money you'll make. The problem is some (cough..unions) take the market out and wonder why manufacturing is leaving the US, when they want $20-40/hour to pick their nose and turn a screwdriver all day...

#9 2004-12-12 21:31:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

This whole shake up of Nasa has been long over due..

#10 2004-12-13 06:22:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Another draw back to this years budget is in how future years scheduel projects for research questions to be answered but also to where we will send the probes that are needed to answer those very questions.
DISTANT DESTINATIONS: Outer Solar System Beckons, but Moon/Mars Focus Could Slow Exploration There

An upcoming NASA selection between very different robotic spacecraft for a $700-million mission scheduled to fly by 2010 is emblematic of the strains that are likely to beset the U.S. agency--and its international partners--for years to come as they struggle to map the new pay-as-you-go U.S. exploration program.

In choosing between a vehicle to return lunar samples from the Aitkin Basin at the Moon's south pole, and an orbiter that would circle Jupiter from pole to pole to see if the gas giant has a solid core, NASA managers must strike a balance between human space spectaculars close to home and the equally spectacular science possible deeper in space.

#11 2005-01-04 07:06:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

PoliSci: Fight begins for science dollars

With all that has happened not only to Nasa in 2004 but with the recent tsunami it will press the budgets to the limits and may force delays or cancellations to on going projects as a new pecking order of priorities are adjusted.

#12 2005-01-04 13:46:21

Martian Republic

I have kind of mex emotion about the NASA cut backs. I both don't like seeing it and there no real mission given to NASA to accomplish either. So generally my impression that it not necessarily a good thing. I generally side with the people that are being laid off in most cases, because I support the general welfare of the general population of the United States and world at large for that matter. I generally oppose each against all type of solution to economics and solving problems, because it generally favors a hand full of rich people at the expense of everyone else. That said, most of everything that been going on in the last thirty to thirty five years or so has been a ripe off for the average American or General Population from other countries too.

What does that have to do with the current NASA lay-off's?

The NASA lay-off's is just a continuing part of this process of ripping off the American People.

Before someone start calling my crazy. Just think about it for a while. And before you say something, let me remind you that I use to work at landing gear manufacture that made landing gear for the F-16 and we had people complaining about the Government spending there tax money. But, it not just the government contracts to buy military air craft that benefited either. It was also the Federal Government Hill-Burton Act for medical field that gave everybody access to healthcare which is currently being dismantled with the HMO's system. It government funding of road, power plants, dams, subway system, water & sewer system, etc.

I suppose I should get off my Soap Box now.

Larry,

#13 2005-01-04 18:08:48

oberth
Banned

What are you people talking about? NASA got its biggest budget increase in years (5,6% or more than $800 million) and a new vision and you're still complaining? ???

#14 2005-01-04 18:45:04

Commodore

What are you people talking about? NASA got its biggest budget increase in years (5,6% or more than $800 million) and a new vision and you're still complaining? ???

We tend to think of it as constructive criticism.  :;):

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#15 2005-01-05 05:32:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Or at least informing others of new release not heard by the general public in all parts of the world and of there sources.

#16 2005-01-10 12:16:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA Uses Budgetary Authority To Shift Funds Toward Exploration Vision

NASA intends to forge ahead with its space exploration agenda despite direction from Congress to throttle back on a key part of it to make refurbishing the Hubble Space Telescope a top priority.

#17 2005-02-08 05:50:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Lots of news with job losses due to 2006 budget dollars available. I wonder if this will translate down into the shuttle standing army.

NASA Glenn to whack jobs

The NASA Glenn Research Center expects to eliminate more than 650 jobs by the end of next year in light of a $120 million budget cut that is part of President Bush’s fiscal 2006 budget proposal.

NASA Glenn director Julian Earls said the cuts are a result of the space agency focusing more on space exploration and less on aeronautics, which is what NASA Glenn was built on. As a whole, NASA is slated to receive a 2.5% increase in its budget for fiscal 2006, which begins Oct. 1.

Staff size at NASA Glenn will go from the current 1,860 employees to around 1,200 by the end of 2006, and the research center’s budget will shrink from the current $636.6 million to $519 million in fiscal 2006. Dr. Earls does not predict additional cuts in the next several years.

NASA Eliminating 700 Jobs in Glenn Research Center Cleveland

NASA Langley to cut 1,000 jobs

Director Roy Bridges Jr. announced today that he will have to reduce the workforce by 1,000 employees by the end of fiscal year 2006.

That would take the center from 3,900 civil service and contract employees to 2,900.

Langley braces for 'big hit' from new federal budget

That reduction represents a shift in spending toward the ambitious space-exploration program that Bush outlined a year ago, and away from some of the airplane and flight research that has been a specialty at Langley.

The near-term effect will be a reduction in the center's overall budget from $830 million in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30 to an annual budget of only about $600 million in the 2006 fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.

Bridges said later that the biggest money shift affecting Langley will be a reduction in spending for an area of aeronautics known as "vehicle systems." The center will lose $89 million a year in that area, which includes some basic aerodynamic research and development of evolutionary improvements in airplanes.

Much of the expertise needed for that work will still be required work such as developing aircraft that can fly in atmospheres other than Earth's, but the budget won't support the number of experts now on the payroll, Bridges said.

He said cutbacks in programs during the current fiscal year have left some employees with no work.

"We can't afford to be carrying this overhead," he said.

#18 2005-02-09 12:00:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

More on the job losses that Nasa will experience in the coming year.

Dryden losing jobs, funds: Bush's spending plan calls for reductions

NASA Dryden Flight Research Center will see its budget cut and its work force reduced in 2006, but the center's director said Tuesday he feels confident additional work can be brought in.
Under the president's proposed 2006 budget, Dryden will see its civil service work force reduced from 568 people to 527. Dryden Director Kevin Petersen said he believe the reductions will be achieved through voluntarily means, such as early retirements and inter-agency transfers.

The center's baseline budget will also be cut from $160 million to $130 million over the next two years.

#19 2005-02-15 11:23:55

Yang Liwei Rocket

year 2006 looks better, but there also have been some things that got axed, there were small cuts in the project for CEV design and JIMO looks like it's gone sad

Overall they say NASA done ok, a rise but less than the expected rate, it could have done much worse with the costs of medicare, price of war in Iraq...some agency will have seen much worse and Congress could have been more harsh

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#20 2005-02-15 11:33:34

Grypd

I still think NASA will have to do a very good gutting of itself to be able to do the Bush plan and to keep the limping ISS along. I expect that next year we will see a lot more Job casualties.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#21 2016-02-13 10:57:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed shifting and artifacts.

This is the beginning to where we are with the current status of Nasa and the rocket that is to expensive to be used for everyday useages.

Not expecting any replies here, will open the 2017 topic shortly for that....

Board footer