New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-04 14:38:41

Ian
Banned

Re: Seismic Activity on Mars - Earthquakes on Mars

I think that once people go to mars they'll need to know where the earthquake "or Marsquake" will most likely happen. I think that seismographs should be used on mars and I think that the same kind of laser technology used to try to detect gravity waves could be beamed at mars from orbit and a marsquake would disrupt the laser beam. Of course a low frequency laser beam should be used unless you would want to destroy rocks on mars. Please reply. I only got one or two replies from the science and technology message boards. I would like to know what you think of this.

#2 2004-02-04 15:08:12

ERRORIST

I think it would be a great Idea. Perhaps, It can tell where water is.

#3 2004-02-04 16:43:11

RobS
Banned
Website

I have no idea whether a laser bean can detect seismic waves on the surface of Mars. Vikings 1 and 2 had seismometers, but the cage didn't open and the instrument failed to deploy, I think on Viking 1. The results of the other instrument were published in *Science,* probably fall 1976 (maybe it was December). Other landers that failed were supposed to have seismometers. It is just a matter of time before seismometers will be deployed there because they provide vast amounts of data about the layering inside, and thus help us reconstruct the evolution of the planet. One things about seismometers: one doesn't do much good. You need at least three to inpoint where a Marsquake occurred. But Mars will be receiving multiple visitors every two years from now on, from many counties, so be sure there will be a seismic network in place before people land there.

-- RobS

#4 2004-02-09 18:37:34

jadeheart
Banned

Better yet, get the seismometers in place and do some active sensing with intentionally-generated seismic waves (using explosives or 'thumpers').  This would allow good subsurface mapping, which would aid in the search for water (among other things).

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

Board footer