New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-03 07:34:17

SynapseOrange

Re: Getting there! - Discussion about the First Manned Craft

Hi.  I am busy drawing up designs for a spacecraft (it's for a college project), I have so far got all the basics, etc.  But I would be interested in what people think are the best systems to install, best propulsion, best life support ideas, etc. Because I have been looking around this board and though you all discuss different aspects about the first manned craft to go to Mars, all your thoughts are very disjointed and you lack focus, so I guess apart from getting aid for my Project I guess I would like to aid in focusing all your thoughts into one thread, because you all talk about getting something done, but none of you get beyond the basic ideas before you break into arguements or focus too much on the lesser aspects.  So I would appreciate any ideas and help and also If you really want to discuss ideas about future Mars craft give me an e-mail, ok?

#2 2004-04-03 08:50:32

GCNRevenger

Somthing akin to Mars Semi-Direct 3.0 cooked up by Nasa seems a little more plausable, when combined with nuclear thermal engines, then Zubrin's bare-bare-boned MarsDirect.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2004-04-03 08:55:51

Rxke

Hi, SynapseOrange,

There is no such thing as a plan that everybody would approve, I'm afraid...

several factors like cost, timeframe, using existing or 'still in the labs' technology, make for an infinite scale of possible solutions to te question.
Like GCNRevenger point s out, nuclear propulsion could be a big plus, but then again, you got politics/environmental issues with that... etc etc...

A quite detailed plan is, of course, Mars Direct, but a lot of people don't like it, because it is too 'light'

RobS Mars24 is another, built on 'off the shelf' tchnology, using  today's launchers... There's a whole topic dedicated to it...

Board footer