New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-06-25 01:41:45

MarsDog

Re: Sooner the Safer - Only the Paranoid Survive

Survival is driving the expansion into space.

How long did the Aliens last staying in one placer ?

#2 2004-06-26 13:44:25

smurf975
Website

Good idea, if you need help with your plan here is a http://www.rosaviakosmos.ru/english/eindex.htm]who will happily help you. Just transfer $30 billion to a Swiss bank account.

Ooh you want the taxpayers to pay for your paranoid schemes!?

Waht? Tehr's a preveiw buottn?

#3 2004-06-26 14:45:24

DERF

Well he's right. The more locales humanity has the more likely we are to survive any major disaster/conflict.

The thing that people seem to miss out on is that colonization will make the solar system a whole helluva lot more INTERESTING. All the openings of culture and such that will occur because of us spread like primodial goo from planet to planet. Of course there is no clear return on this in sheer $$$. Too bad.

#4 2004-06-26 14:48:44

smurf975
Website

Well he's right. The more locales humanity has the more likely we are to survive any major disaster/conflict.

The thing that people seem to miss out on is that colonization will make the solar system a whole helluva lot more INTERESTING. All the openings of culture and such that will occur because of us spread like primodial goo from planet to planet. Of course there is no clear return on this in sheer $$$. Too bad.

You are correct however I think there is no money, political will or a good plan.

I know about Mars Direct but for some reason NASA seems to ignore it. Maybe someone knows why?

#5 2004-06-26 14:58:34

DERF

I know about Mars Direct but for some reason NASA seems to ignore it. Maybe someone knows why?

Ha ha ha.

There seems to be a multitude of ideas (the majority of which are good and will work) but it seems that all we need is somebody who happens to be in power to go "Yeah, I like that." and devote money to it. We can wait for someone like that with real will until it happens (dumb luck), we can lobby (which the Mars Society does alot of) or we can get a angel investor to make something actually happen (SpaceShipOne).

I must admit SpaceShipOne is a BEAUTIFUL design. I mean just look at it - and it is shirt sleeves. Government agencies get more solid STUFF done but when companies actually do something it is amazing. Another good example would be all the VTOL. I get so excited whenever I see videos of those.

So what do we need? will. to do something. I'll see what I can do here.

#6 2004-06-26 15:19:24

smurf975
Website

To me it looks also like that the President has power to set NASA's goals. As he just changed it some months ago. However still no Mars Direct.

I wonder what the long term goals of the space initiative are?

It looks like the ESA keeping a Mars Human mission as a possibility, well thats what I got from their http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Aurora/ESA9 … tml]Aurora Programme in which they plan a manned Mars mission in 2025. Thats eleven years from now and its better then what NASA has to offer us.

#7 2004-06-26 15:25:40

smurf975
Website

Looking better at it it seems that the ESA planned a human mission to mars at 11 October 2002 when the Aurora programme got the green light.

Looks like NASA has some compitition tongue. Basically if things work out, an European team will be on Mars by the year 2025.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Aurora/ESAO … .html]Look at this esa press release on how they plan to achieve this.

The new space initative and Aurora programme are basically the same however with two differences: 1. Aurora started 2 years ago 2. Aurora programme has more emphasis on Mars then the Moon.

#8 2004-06-26 15:49:06

smurf975
Website

Agian me  yikes

It looks like you can submit your ideas on the next ESA mars rover http://spaceflight.esa.int/users/file.c … omars]Call for Ideas!.

Board footer