New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-01 11:55:43

Ad Astra

Re: The ORIGINAL new space vision

I was able to speak with a congressinal legislative aid recently about the new space vision.  Ther's not much to what he said, but I think there's some interesting things to be found in his paraphrased comments.

Apparently th desire for a new space vision came right after the CAIB report was released, which challenged NASA and the entire government to rethink its goals in space.  This lead to a series of meetings (my source actually met with the vice president during one of those meetings) and arrived at a concensus: the shuttle would be retired immediately, the CEV would be the next manned spacecraft, and an aggressive plan to return to the moon would be implemented. 

NASA saw the plan and balked.  They wanted to fly the shuttle so they could finish the ISS, and they felt they could not get to the moon on the proposed schedule.  So the compromise was to finish ISS by 2010 and ground the shuttle.  NASA was given a five-year window between 2015 and 2020 to return to the moon.  Mars was added at the last minute as a post-moon objective.

Who needs Michael Griffin when you can have Peter Griffin?  Catch "Family Guy" Sunday nights on FOX.

#2 2004-02-01 13:43:46

Bill White

Did NASA consider SDV?

#3 2004-02-03 00:24:15

flashgordon

looks like the moon guys had the Presidents ear, and they didn't even know about mars direct; looks like various mars direct people have wrote some pretty good letters to the president . . . .

Board footer