New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-10-23 09:50:38

Bill White

Re: Funding space - A Chinese angle

I found this article interesting:

The Inner Mongolian dairy giant Mengniu, maker of the official milk of China's astronauts, also raked in profits in recent days. Commercials highlighting "Mengniu milk is special milk for Chinese astronauts" show up frequently during prime time programs of China's Central Television (CCTV).

Beijing's Huapu Supermarket is planning to order more Mengniu milk, whose sales volume has kept soaring since the successful manned spaceflight. Huapu also intends to purchase more food and daily-use articles designed for astronauts.

The communist Chinese marketing space before the West?

???

Funding via marketing is very democratic, IMHO. Traditional space advocates seek to persuade the US Congress to appropriate billions of taxpayer dollars for a Mars mission. To do that we seek to rally voters to write their Congress-person or Senator. Public relations.

But, if there were an "official" milk or sports drink for a Mars mission consumers could express their support for "doing Mars" simply by buying that product.

Some scoff that we can't pay for Mars by selling "T-shirts"

I say take a look at Nike's balance sheet. Nike can readily afford to pay $100 million to a 13 year old basketball player with the profits generated by "selling T shirts"

I sense, however, that some space advocates feel that money appropriated by the US Congress somehow "cleaner" than money raised through marketing? Is that true?

#2 2003-10-23 10:04:51

clark

Teflon and Tang did well with that angle. And I believe that yankee ingenuity is a good formula to follow, at least the Chinese seem to think so...  big_smile

#3 2003-10-23 10:53:52

Bill White

Teflon and Tang did well with that angle. And I believe that yankee ingenuity is a good formula to follow, at least the Chinese seem to think so...  big_smile

Obviously we agree on the main point, however, verbal combat is so much more fun, so . . .

I suspect the Chinese may say the term "yankee ingenuity" shows some presumption. My understanding is that the Chinese were accomplished merchants, traders and business-folk back when the Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestors of the famed "yankee traders" gave worship to trees and wore animal skins while battling the Romans.

Marx and Mao are merely a surface veneer on an ancient and proud civilization with a tradition of entrepeneurial ingenuity.

Or, as a very successful Chinese-American businessman once told me: "Jesus wasn't white and the Italians didn't invent pasta. . ."

#4 2003-10-23 11:02:05

clark

Obviously we agree on the main point, however, verbal combat is so much more fun, so . . .

:laugh: "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die."

My understanding is that the Chinese were accomplished merchants, traders and business-folk back when the Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestors of the famed "yankee traders" gave worship to trees and wore animal skins while battling the Romans.

And my understanding is that the Chinese burned down their fleet, turned their back on the rest of the world to worship their dead ancestors, while the Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestors of the famed "yankee traders" went and made a quick buck from an empty market.  tongue

Marx and Mao are merely a surface veneer on an ancient and proud civilization with a tradition of entrepeneurial ingenuity.

They may have invented it, but we learned how to package it!

Or, as a very successful Chinese-American businessman once told me: "Jesus wasn't white and the Italians didn't invent pasta. . ."

Which is more global, Chinese cusine, or McDonalds?  big_smile

#5 2003-10-23 11:04:08

Bill White

And my understanding is that the Chinese burned down their fleet, turned their back on the rest of the world to worship their dead ancestors, while the Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestors of the famed "yankee traders" went and made a quick buck from an empty market.

Dude, the sequel to my current book shall be a 21st century Chinese effort to "correct" that mistake. . .

In the coming century who will make better application of the lessons of history? What is the next great "empty market?"

#6 2003-10-23 11:07:30

clark

LOL. A yankee would try to make a buck on that idea!  tongue

#7 2003-10-23 11:09:17

clark

In the coming century who will make better application of the lessons of history? What is the next great "empty market?"

Those who remember it.  :;):

And the great empty market of the coming century shall be the retired.

#8 2003-10-24 09:42:56

Bill White

I did not write this::

China is a space station and a Martain colony away from being a space power. That's the answer.

If China moves fast and dedicate more resources to space exploration, it will be the first Martain. China MUST NOT do what the Ming emperor erroneously did, disbanded Admiral Eunuch Z from exploration the vast expanse of earth. Although China is the first nation to discover American, it failed to populate it. It must NOT repeat the mistake which brought China down 500 years of treachorus path by isolating itself.

Remember, when europeans used Admiral Z maps to visit americans, they discover domesticated Asian chickens on the americas. Since Asian chicken cannot flys, it was brought here by the Admiral's armada.

Do the Chinese have web trolls?

#9 2003-10-24 10:33:41

clark

Yes, only smaller.

#10 2003-10-25 00:39:37

sethmckiness
Banned

And They were as fast as lightning....   And it was a little bit frightning...

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#11 2024-04-19 13:05:31

Mars_B4_Moon

older topic bumped

China Focus: China, Thailand to cooperate in lunar exploration missions
https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/274 … n-missions

an old debate on Chinese Admirals and web trolls?

and yes before Columbus found North America, there were perhaps arrivals of Scandinavia culture and Vikings before and before this perhas Eskimo culture on foot from Siberia to Alaska, Yupik and other language and DNA traces, some go into ancient Atlantis myth and theory and folklore study, Egypt to the Americas and others will claim building or Olmec mask from Central America has a China influence, British author Gavin Menzies claimed that the treasure fleets of Ming admiral. There is also a Welsh legend,  Madoc was a prince from Wales who explored the Americas.

Board footer