New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-03-10 10:09:28

Palomar

Re: From OK to Mars

*We've got tornado chasers in Oklahoma (and elsewhere in "Tornado Alley" such as TX panhandle)...what do you suppose the chances are "dust devil chasing" will be a pasttime (both for science and just for the fun of it) for folks in small vehicles (land-based if surrounding terrain is smooth enough OR by motorized hang-glider) on Mars?

Sounds like fun; I'd like to give it a shot.  On the ground, though (hang-gliding would       -not- be my thing...Cindy gets dizzy fast, Cindy gets disoriented, Cindy crashes...).

I wonder what sorts of variations in behavior among dust devils they'd discover, or if they're all pretty much ho-hum predictable.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer