New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-16 20:35:44

Ad Astra

Re: Hybrid kick stages for RLVs

If the shuttle gets an extension on life past the date when ISS is done, NASA should look into a hybrid-fuel kick stage for satellite-deployment missions.

Unlike the Centaur, which was deemed too dangerous for shuttle missions, hybrids reduce the amount of high-pressure liquid (or gas) carried on board the shutle, and they can't accidentally detonate like solid rockets do.

It would be silly to develop this rocket stage solely for the shuttle, seeing as how its das are numbered.  But a new RLV will come along sooner or later, and that RLV will need it.

Who needs Michael Griffin when you can have Peter Griffin?  Catch "Family Guy" Sunday nights on FOX.

#2 2004-10-16 22:00:08

GCNRevenger

Re: Hybrid kick stages for RLVs

I think that its pretty safe to say that Shuttle won't be launching satellites anymore. Ever.

For an RLV LEO-to-GEO kick stage, whats wrong with conventional solid assist motors?

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

Board footer