New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-21 15:04:22

Rxke

Re: Phobos 2 pictures - from the ill-fated mission

http://pages.preferred.com/%7Etedstryk/ … ]Beautiful... Digitally enhanced pictures from the Russian Phobos-2 mission (1988)

Thanks to REB's pointing to this excellent site, in fact... (in Lunochod thread)

I think those pictures are very dramatic, strange i did never see them before...

#2 2004-05-21 15:16:27

Palomar

I think those pictures are very dramatic, strange i did never see them before...

*Join the club...I've never seen these pics before either! 

My fav is "Phobos with Mars in the upper left corner."  Something peculiarly dramatic about that otherwise gentle image.

--Cindy  smile

::EDIT::  Check out pic of "gibbous Jupiter" at very bottom.  Makes me wonder how much magnifying power the camera equipment had...

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-05-22 11:07:35

dicktice

Yeah, such "you are there" pics are a rarity. I wish more, realistic space travel films using today's animation techniques were produced. "Life in Space" should be motivation enough, interspersed with views such as this, sans the "alien threat" angle. Space itself, like terrorism on Earth, is threat enough to motivate the story action. And, oh--how I long for satellite views of Earth to be available on an exclusive television channel set aside just for that, available to any individual on Earth, anywhere--for free.

#4 2004-05-24 08:01:32

REB
Banned
Website

I like the Phobos over the limb of Mars picture. It is a Full moon shot of Phobos.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#5 2005-02-16 09:24:26

Yang Liwei Rocket

Poor Russians, could never get it right with Mars. Although they did have some missions that made it good but nothing ever lived too long with their Mars projects

I think they are planning some more missions in the future, the Phobos-Grunt sample return mission, and a possible Mars sample return mission by Roscosmos

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#6 2005-02-16 11:57:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Hopefully any Russian sample and return mission data would be share with the partners (US) in the ISS.

#7 2005-08-04 16:21:50

Yang Liwei Rocket

A new mission in the works by Russians

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ESA_Permane … QWD_0.html

This mission’s objectives are to collect soil samples from Phobos, a satellite of Mars and to bring the samples back to Earth for comprehensive scientific research into Phobos, Mars and Martian space.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/inde … wtopic=631

Design work has gone on since 1997, and the new design is scaled down to fly an a Soyuz rocket instead of the larger Proton. The main purpose is similar to Phobos-2, with the addition of a sample return.

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#8 2005-08-04 16:33:40

Rxke

Fingers crossed the Russians do not meet the Red Ghoul this time...

Phobos could prove an invaluable asset to Mars missions, as a refuelplant, using ISRU. Heck it could prove to be the hottest real estate in space were they to find out it has some interesting volatiles in usable abundancies!

Ooooh fingers crossed so much it hurts!

#9 2005-09-21 11:53:12

aldo12xu

I hope the funding is there for the new Phobos mission.  But I was wondering, if the Russians are spending all that money to go to Mars and return a soil sample, why not a sample return from the Martian surface instead of Phobos?

[url=http://www.marsgeo.com/]http://www.marsgeo.com/[/url]

#10 2006-02-08 14:43:14

EuroLauncher

very nice website

#11 2006-08-23 21:06:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Looky, Looky, another colaboration and this time it is with China, Russia plan joint Mars mission Unmanned exploration of Red Planet and Phobos in 2009

Board footer