New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-04 14:27:51

Rxke

Re: 'Tumbleweed' probe tests a success - future probe plan

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/antarcti … SpaceDaily
From the article: "The final Tumbleweed Rover is envisioned as a lightweight, roughly 40-kilogram (88 pound) device that can serve multiple roles as an independent robotic explorer"

I didn't even know they were already doing full-scale testing on this approach!

The idea is not new: build a (cheap) wind-blown structure with a science-package and let it roam free...

The tests were 'real-life' under quite severe conditions in Greenland and Antarctica, and promise a new low-cost approach of travelling around other planetary bodies with an atmosphere (errr... Mars, I'd say!)

#2 2004-03-04 14:32:58

GraemeSkinner
Website

Rxke
Can you send me a copy of the text if you have it, when I go to the website all I get is the banner for some reason.
From your description I hope if they drop one on Mars it does not get becalmed.

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#3 2004-03-04 15:50:07

Rxke

I'll PM the text... Sometimes SpaceDaily acts 'weird' had it too, occasionally, but now, for me it loads fine.

(Can you Acknowledge receipt of the PM, look like i'm having some problms with it...)

Board footer