New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-02 10:37:36

cassioli

Re: Mars in 3d without glasses! - Look at this amazing image!

I did some experiments with Ulead Gif Animator and Spirit images, and I obtained this incredible image:

hills-3d-anim.gif

I obtained it from these images:
[http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/2P1340 … 67L7M1.JPG]left
[http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/2P1340 … 67R1M1.JPG]right

I created this sequence:
1) left
2) right
3) left
4) right

1) is the same of 3) and 2) is the same of 4), BUT 1) and 2) are centered on point 2, 2) and 3) are centered on point 3, and 3) and 4) are ceneterd on point 4, and this three points are at different distances from the observer:
hills-anim-explain.gif

It looks like it will be quite hard to rech those hills!  sad

Luca

#2 2004-04-02 14:15:49

Rxke

Good one, cass! To be honest, i never really liked the red/blue stereos, this kind of stuff, OTOH is great!

Now some brave soul that wants to stitch *all* S&O images together, using 'overflows' so we get a "wild ride on the rovers..."? Bonus points if you do it in stereopairs!

(I'm serious, that would be *great*... there are some very short sequences of the rovers' pics made already and they're amazing... Don't think it'll be possible in stereo thoug, but you never know...)

#3 2004-04-02 14:34:44

SBird
Banned

cassioli - Great work!  That's a really clever approach.  It really brings out the depth in a way that I wouldn't have expected.  The best part is that this would also work for color photos which 3D glasses can't handle.

It sort of looks like old 1920's motion pictures.  I keep expecting one of those old silent movie dialog screens to pop up. :;):

#4 2004-04-02 14:51:38

Julius Caeser

Well done Cassioli....actually i can make out another crater right in front looking towards the hills in this 3d photo,i hadnt seen before when looking at the same pic in 2d!!Hope to see  more of these 3d pics as the rover makes its way toward the hills.

#5 2004-04-02 20:17:00

RobS
Banned
Website

Congratulations on a good idea! More! More!

-- RobS

#6 2004-04-02 20:37:14

atomoid

cool! and yeah, there is a big little stealth crater lurking right in front of the rover.

Seems to be similar results to that "StereoMorpher" program? that program is a pain to use, but maybe thats how that does its work.

check out [http://www.geofusion.com/MarsDemo/]this software demo for navigable mars global sattelite flyovers, really cool!

"I think it would be a good idea". - [url=http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Mahatma_Gandhi/]Mahatma Gandhi[/url], when asked what he thought of Western civilization.

#7 2004-04-03 14:23:24

cassioli

Good one, cass! To be honest, i never really liked the red/blue stereos, this kind of stuff, OTOH is great!

Now some brave soul that wants to stitch *all* S&O images together, using 'overflows' so we get a "wild ride on the rovers..."? Bonus points if you do it in stereopairs!

Give me the images, I'll give you the movie! (I'll try, at least).
Looking for all suitable images in ~160 Sols is quite hard...

(I'm serious, that would be *great*... there are some very short sequences of the rovers' pics made already and they're amazing... Don't think it'll be possible in stereo thoug, but you never know...)

Starting with color images would be better, in my opinion.
Waiting for images links--- smile

Luca

#8 2004-04-04 11:24:51

cassioli

I have a good news and a bad news...

The good news is that I succesfully obtained an animated gif of Spirit's hills from Sol 8 to Sol 88.

The bad news is that it shows that those hills are so far, that they actually didn't change at all in their resolution in last 80 sols... sad

This is the animation, quite huge as it is not optimized (it does not worth the effort...)

[http://jumpjack.altervista.org/immagini … m-8-88.gif]Hills-Sol8-->Sol88

I also tried to create a color 3d anim of Bonneville, but there are not enough color photos, so it is impossible! sad

Luca

Board footer