New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-06-10 20:54:32

Palomar

Re: Micro Spacecraft Exploration

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology … html]Click

*Searched twice.  It doesn't seem this has been posted previously.

Short, sweet and to the point.

A handful of links to additional info/articles within.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-06-11 03:10:51

Rxke

Schweet.

I like the coical shape, they're clearly thinking of dropping these things from orit, later on.

Hove this is not another piece of vaporware, that will never leave the drawing board.

#3 2005-06-11 04:54:42

Palomar

*Hi Rik.  Yeah, cool huh?  Certainly only a matter of time.  Everything else starts out heavy and bulky and cumbersome like TVs, radios, etc.  They become refined, smaller, more compact and usually more efficient as technology progresses.

Surely the same will happen with probes and robots.

I like the concept of "webbed probes"; drop them in a group, enable them with the ability to operate independently or collectively.  Attach, detach from the group (physically too), etc.

And snake-like probes are interesting too.  They're already developing snake-like robots.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2005-06-11 05:50:07

Rxke

yes everything getting smaller.
Sometimes for a DIY-er not so funny, recently tried to solder some friggin' SMD components together (those *really* tiny chips, etc., that are normally soldered using robots or other procedures...)

Lemme tellya, I wuz cursang so lawd, the ceiling nearly came dawhn!

Board footer