New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-07-14 10:04:16

clark

Re: Columbine Paintball Recreation - What do you think of this?

The website can be found here:

http://www.columbinepaintball.com/

They have recreated the layout of Columbine Highschool, which can accomadate up to 100 players.

There are apparently three seperate teams. One is the SWAT Team, one the Columbine Killers team, and the last is the "defenseless students and teachers team" (this team dosen't get guns, and they seem to be only there to be hunted).

So, what's your feeling on this?

Oh, it's in Canada by the way, not the States.

"Are you ready to re-live the most exciting event of April 20, 1999?" - Banner advertisement for Columbine Paintball.

#2 2003-07-14 11:48:07

rustyplanet
Banned

That's like making a September 11 video game. Maybe the people who made it want to honor the tragedy, but I don't think that is the right way.

#3 2003-07-14 12:04:06

clark

Actually, Microsoft Flight Simulator can be used to fly a plane into the Twin Towers, but it wasn't really promoted for this feature.

What is the 'right' way to honor the tragedy?

#4 2003-07-14 13:00:37

Palomar

The website can be found here:

http://www.columbinepaintball.com/

They have recreated the layout of Columbine Highschool, which can accomadate up to 100 players.

There are apparently three seperate teams. One is the SWAT Team, one the Columbine Killers team, and the last is the "defenseless students and teachers team" (this team dosen't get guns, and they seem to be only there to be hunted).

So, what's your feeling on this?

Oh, it's in Canada by the way, not the States.

"Are you ready to re-live the most exciting event of April 20, 1999?" - Banner advertisement for Columbine Paintball.

*It's stupid trash and an insult to the victims.  #### the jerks who created it.

It's always so much easier to glorify and think someone else's tragedy is "cool" or to brush it off.

I hope a similar tragedy in real life never occurs in Canada (or elsewhere), but if it does...well, maybe it won't be considered worth glorification then.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2003-07-14 13:11:08

clark

Paintball, by and large, borrow 'settings' for players to enact what is really just a fantasy.

Many paintball parks will include several different 'settings', all usally asscoiated with particular Wars, or Battle grounds.

The most common are "Vietnam' settings, which feature large fields full of dense brush- a jungle kind of feeling. Other common ones are 'Beruit' style environments filled with mock buildings and urban 'stuff'.

Is this an insult to those who died in those locations? Are they also in bad taste?

Or is it that the Columbine environment is odious becuase it apes a specific event?

Would a Waco like setting be in bad taste? What if the location was simply a highschool, without any mention of Columbine? Is that more appropriate?

#6 2003-07-14 17:22:30

Josh Cryer

Well, as long as they're able to seperate the reality from the game, I see no issue with it. I play DDay. I play as a Nazi sometimes (the Nazis' have a much better sub machinegun, just like in real life). Does this make me evil? I'm glorifying the Nazis, right?

I think these people can appreciate the things that happened in Columbine better than those who just see it on TV and are basically told how to feel about it. Especially if you play as a victim. Believe me when I say that if you can avoid getting hit by a paintball, you will try to. You will run. And you will most likely be scared out of your mind (especially if it's your first paintball experience).

This reminds me of an episode of Star Trek: Voyager where the crew were made to believe that they participated in a major massacre of a particular race. Come to find out, they were just given the memories, as a sort of memorial. Never forget, as they say.

Now, I'm not saying that people wouldn't play it for sadistic reasons, nor am I saying that they are all innocent or whatever and are doing it to just experience Columbine first hand. But anyone who participates in violent behavior in their ?playtime? is not safe from showing those behaviors in their real life, so it's irrelevant what game they're playing.

One thing is that I think they need to have a rule that anyone who hunts must play as a victim at least once.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#7 2003-07-14 18:39:49

rustyplanet
Banned

I just looked at it again and on the bottom of the site it says:

Disclaimer: Columbine PaintBall is a web site for entertainment purposes only. Columbine Paintball is not an actual paintball facility, nor is there any monetary profits related to Columbine Paintball.  However, the ignorant mail people send us is pathetic. Apparently people will believe anything, such as believing that a plane actually crashed into the Pentagon on 9-11.

#8 2003-07-14 19:04:10

clark

Apparently I forgot to read the fine print!  :laugh:

It's sad that I could readily believe someone doing something like this though.

Thank you rustyplanet for pointing this out.

At least some interesting points to ponder.

#9 2003-07-15 12:19:42

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

it is in bad taste and it is wrong to remember the deaths of those students like that. . . .I think a protest should happen against them even though it is not really happening.  besides,

Apparently people will believe anything, such as believing that a plane actually crashed into the Pentagon on 9-11.

shows just how much these people care for reality.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#10 2003-07-15 17:15:21

Josh Cryer

Personally I find the idea of a Columbine paintball facility less insulting and offensive than the implication that there was some huge underlying conspiracy with regards to 9/11. I could accept perhaps a misjudgement about intelligence, I can't accept that the government would go through expansive lengths to make something happen as these people are implying.

I guess we all got duped. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#11 2003-07-20 08:01:20

Shaun Barrett

Well, you may have been duped on that one but I read in a Sunday newspaper today that real paintball hunting does go on in unusual circumstances.

Somewhere near Las Vegas (I think they said), men with paintball guns hunt naked women. It costs thousands of dollars to join the hunt and the women are paid large sums of money for their trouble - I believe it was $4000 if they aren't hit but only $1500 if they are. (Or figures in that region.)
    There have been complaints that such behaviour might encourage unstable males to attack women for real in less controlled conditions.

Aside from any psychological considerations, what worried me was a report from one of the women describing how painful a paintball hit on bare flesh can be. She said the impact had broken the skin and drawn blood!
    Maybe it's not the harmless game it's made out to be.

Perhaps we should take a leaf out of Josh's book and insist that all participating male hunters must, at least once, be stripped in turn and hunted by women with paintball guns!
                                     :;):

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#12 2003-07-20 09:49:51

Palomar

Somewhere near Las Vegas (I think they said), men with paintball guns hunt naked women. It costs thousands of dollars to join the hunt and the women are paid large sums of money for their trouble - I believe it was $4000 if they aren't hit but only $1500 if they are. (Or figures in that region.)
    There have been complaints that such behaviour might encourage unstable males to attack women for real in less controlled conditions.

*Yes, this is going on in Las Vegas, NV.

I really have only 1 observation about this.  What are the chances you could get even a dozen African-Americans to line up and get paid for going through the very real motions of slavery to paying white men armed with whips (or paintball guns) or whatever?  And I mean outside of the purposes of making a TV show, movie or documentary; I mean "for fun".  You couldn't.

Women can be very incredibly stupid and are often as much to blame as men for negative stereotyping and fostering violence against women (or the fantasy thereof).

You can bet your bottom dollar a few (at least) mentally unstable men will pick up on this idea and ordinary Janes going about their daily business will be targeted.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#13 2003-07-20 09:53:12

RobertDyck
Website

Ok, extreme bad taste exists everywhere. On behalf of Canada I would like to appologize for this. However, you have to be careful not to believe everything you read. Try to click on the picture of the layout of their facility. It will take you to http://www.columbinepaintball.com/scams which is a rant against just about every government conspiracy imaginable. At to bottom is the disclaimer "Columbine Paintball is not an actual paintball facility, nor is there any monetary profits related to Columbine Paintball, as too many people seem to believe." Be warned, it does get quite insulting not just to the government, but to anyone who fell for their "Columbine Paintball" home page. There is crap everywhere on the internet. However, their arguement that the damage to the Pentagon is not sufficiently extensive for a collision with a 757-200 does make one think. I'm not going to believe their explanation either, but it does raise a ligitimate question.

Canada has had its share of violence. On December 18, 1989, a gunman took an automatic weapon to a school in Montr?al. He killed 14 women and himself. Here is a link to one description of the Montr?al Massacre.

#14 2003-07-20 09:58:24

Palomar

Canada has had its share of violence. On December 18, 1989, a gunman took an automatic weapon to a school in Montreal. He killed 14 women and himself. Here is a link to one description of the Montr?al Massacre.

*I remember this very sad incident.  If such incidents in Canada are few and far between -- if you have to reach this far back in time for such a bloody example -- then consider yourself fortunate and that Canada must still be a rather safe place to live.

--Cindy

:Edit:  Might be going a bit off-topic, but this is interesting (and not surprising to me):

http://www.cnn.com/2003....ex.html

#15 2003-07-21 11:23:05

dickbill

From "Le Monde" about "the Tour de France":

"C'est alors que Lance Armstrong se heurte ? un spectateur au bord de la route, chute et entra?ne l'Espagnol Iban Mayo ? terre.
ARMSTRONG CHUTE, ULLRICH ATTEND

Jan Ullrich r?ussit ? ?viter les deux hommes. L'Am?ricain se rel?ve, v?rifie son mat?riel et remonte sur le v?lo. Pendant ce temps, les hommes de t?te, sportivement, attendent le maillot jaune. L'Allemand, ? 15 secondes d'Armstrong au classement g?n?ral, se retourne et ne profite pas de la chute de son rival."

Armstrong collides with a spectator on the side of the road, he falls from his bicycle. Ulrich, the german competitor, second in the general classement with only 15 seconds behind Armstrong in the general cumulated time, looks behind him, see Armstrong and stops, waits for Armstrong to go back. He could have taken advantage, he didn't, maybe he lost the tour at that moment, but he didn't. That is sport and spirit.

#16 2003-07-21 14:12:53

clark

From the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports....adlines

That essentially reduces the Tour to a duel between Armstrong and Ullrich leading to the finish in Paris on Sunday.

The fall came with about 6 miles left in the 99-mile stage. Armstrong smacked onto the road after a spectator's outstretched bag caught his handlebars.

He grazed his left elbow and dirtied the left shoulder of his yellow jersey when he drove into a spectator. He then climbed back on his bike and got back in the race.

The Texan also grazed his left hip but was otherwise unhurt, said Jogi Muller, spokesman for the U.S. Postal Service team.

"After the fall, I had a big, big rush of adrenaline," Armstrong said. He said he then told himself, "Lance if you want to win the Tour de France, do it today."

Armstrong said he was partly to blame because he was riding too close to the edge of the road. Spain's Iban Mayo also fell after crashing into Armstrong as he lay on the road.

The drama didn't stop there. A few seconds after getting back on his bike, Armstrong nearly fell again when his right foot slipped out of his pedal.

Ullrich had to swerve to avoid the crash. He waited with other riders while Armstrong and Mayo got back on their bikes and caught up.

"Jan is a good guy, he's an honorable guy," Armstrong said. "He probably didn't forget that when he crashed in 2001, in what appeared to be a serious crash, I told everyone: 'We can't race until he gets back up.' As we say in English: 'What goes around comes around,' and so I appreciate him doing that."

Armstrong, slumped over his bike after his ride, crossed the line 40 seconds ahead of Ullrich.

Karma.

#17 2003-07-21 14:49:55

dickbill

Karma.

Karma maybe. In the NYTimes, they use the world "chivalry" so  these top level athletes are knights that follow strict rules of honor for they epic quest.
Armstrong particularly examplifies "The" Knight, I guess you all know his story (his cancer) .
I just posted this to show that not everything was girl paintballing or silly video game. We have to post feeling-good informations sometimes.

#18 2003-07-26 16:31:36

rustyplanet
Banned

The whole Hunting for Bambi thing was actually a hoax. I feel kind of bad for all those organizations who took it seriously, petitioned, wrote letters to the government, and broadcasted it nationwide only to make fools out of themselves. Except now they're trying to put the people in jail for embarrassing them, which I think is stupid. I knew this was fake as soon as I read how they refused to tell the government where they were playing.

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/07/25/bambi.reut/index.html">Read about it.</a>

*Aww that didn't work. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/07/25/b … index.html maybe that's how.

#19 2003-07-27 07:51:40

Shaun Barrett

Yeh, I just read today (in this week's edition of the same paper) that this whole thing was somebody's idea of a joke.
    What some people do with their lives!! Or is it that they don't actually have a life?!   ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#20 2003-07-27 10:10:41

Palomar

Yeh, I just read today (in this week's edition of the same paper) that this whole thing was somebody's idea of a joke.
    What some people do with their lives!! Or is it that they don't actually have a life?!   ???

*Yeah, it was a "hoax"...after women's rights groups started breathing down that guy's neck. 

He wimped out.  Not that I'm upset that he wimped out, mind you.  He's just covering his ass, "Oh, it was a hoax," blah blah.

The women who were willing to participate were to blame, ultimately.

--Cindy

#21 2003-07-28 09:36:43

clark

What's wrong with women who choose to partake in such an event?

Free adults, making free choices, isn't that what is going on?

I realize it is a hoax, but what is 'wrong' with such behaviour?

I am in no way condoning it, and it certainly isn't my cup of tea, but I fail to see how this is any different than other forms of 'adult' entertainment, that are sometimes far more more violent, or degrading to women.

Some guy wants to chase naked women through the brush with a paintball gun. What's wrong with that?

What some people do with their lives!! Or is it that they don't actually have a life?!

Yeah, some people spend thier lives judging others choices. So who is it in this situation that dosen't have a life?

#22 2003-07-28 10:10:57

Josh Cryer

I'm with clark on this one, sorry Cindy. Women need to exploit their ?inequalities? by making guys fork our major cash to do something they (the females) could potentially enjoy doing.

There's one thing women have that men, generally, don't. And that's beauty.

--------

#23 2003-07-28 11:26:09

Palomar

There's one thing women have that men, generally, don't. And that's beauty.

*Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom are beautiful.  smile

--Cindy

#24 2003-07-28 11:31:05

Palomar

What's wrong with women who choose to partake in such an event?

Free adults, making free choices, isn't that what is going on?

I realize it is a hoax, but what is 'wrong' with such behaviour?

I am in no way condoning it, and it certainly isn't my cup of tea, but I fail to see how this is any different than other forms of 'adult' entertainment, that are sometimes far more more violent, or degrading to women.

Some guy wants to chase naked women through the brush with a paintball gun. What's wrong with that?

What some people do with their lives!! Or is it that they don't actually have a life?!

Yeah, some people spend thier lives judging others choices. So who is it in this situation that dosen't have a life?

*Chill out, Clark.  It's a matter of personal perspective, taste and opinion.  These consenting adults can do whatever they want...and I, as a tax-paying adult, can voice my opinion about it; as can Shaun. 

And aren't you overdoing it abit with your "Yeah, some people spend thier lives judging others choices. So who is it in this situation that dosen't have a life?" statement?  Do you know Shaun personally, seeing him day in and day out in Cairns?  Do you know whether or not he spends his life judging others' choices, and perhaps doesn't "have a life"?  C'mon, Clark.  Sorry, Shaun, I know you don't need me to stick up for you.  Quite often you ask very good questions, Clark, but this is the real world:  Not everyone thinks or believes everything everyone else does is wonderful and "okay" and hunkey-dorey 24/7/365.  And it's not fair to castigate an entitled complaint or negative opinion as being evidence that someone "doesn't have a life." 

You say you don't condone this behavior...yet you defend it.  Are you attempting to straddle the fence?  Is there something other than approval (condoning) and disapproval (condemnation)?

Whatever.  I just think the guy who started this was trying for his 15 minutes of fame, which he got, and that he was serious in wanting to make some hefty cash out of his exploitation of other people (male and female).  Now he's claiming it was "a hoax!" because feminist groups started haranguing him about it.  He's back-paddling.

I honestly don't like violence, period.  Women hunting naked men with paintball guns would be just as repulsive and repugnant to me.  I'm a humanist, not a feminist.  The whole gun-crazy flavor of America is disgusting to me.

Kapish?  smile

--Cindy

#25 2003-07-28 11:38:41

Josh Cryer

Wonder if I can get my galfriend to let me hunt her naked... heh, I'm going to seriously propose that, see what she says. big_smile

--------

Board footer