New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-09-25 11:54:36

Earthfirst

Re: Nukes and bio weapons - Using nukes and deadly life on mars.

The Use of nukes could greatly speed up teraforming efforts on mars. Some people might call it crazy but what the big deal, mars is a dead planet, the earth has too many weapons of massdestruction. Its a win win situation, we can take nukes and bio weapons from crazy people like Sadom Insane, and spread them on the surface of mars. The nukes could melt the dry ice and water at the poles forming an thicker atmosphere than today and form lakes or small seas, and the anthrax can live anywhere. Does it really matter that mars is filled with radation and deadly anthrax. Any humons that come to mars will be wearing space suits that would protect them from  the deadly atmosphere whats a little extra bacteria if they are not going to breath the air anyways. The radiation no problem from what I have read about mars is that any who one travel to mars would get lifetime dose of radition from the cosmic rays. Whats the difference if they get a few extra rads of radition on the planet? Besides most of the fall out will be at the poles far away from the equator where most people will go. Also any living plant, animal or fungus that colonizes mars would mutate and adaped to their new home and would become harmless.
If anyone can find problems with my plan, so what I came up with the idea, I just din't copy it from so NASA engenier its unique maybe I should right a multi million dollar book.

I love plants!

#2 2002-09-25 14:03:13

clark

It might be a bad idea.

In order to "nuke" mars, we would have to launch all those nuclear weapons. One explosion in the atmosphere or on the launch pad, and we have ruined our environemnt and probably killed untold thousands. The same goes with shooting anthrax up into space on rockets.

Then the idea that anthrax would survive on mars is dubious. The low pressure on mars, coupled with the other environmental conditions will probably make it difficult for any terrestrial organism to exsist unaided on Mars, including antrax. I also fail to see how putting anthrax on mars helps anyone, in any way. As for any "mutations" that occur on mars, it would be an unknwon wheter or not those mutations would happen, or even be beneficial- hell, it could just as easily mutate into a superbug that wipes us out.

nuking the poles is an old idea, so i doubt you can sell it as new in a book. And I believe you may be discounting the seriousness of the radiation levels- accepting that a "few more rads is nothing" is a bit shortsighted and demonstrates a lack of concern for human saftey.

At least you are thinking outside the box.... a little too outside, but good try. smile

#3 2002-09-26 19:46:02

Number04

I don't think nuclear winter is an answer to our problems. But I do agree about the weapons. The earth needs to be allot more stable politically and socially before we start any missions.

Board footer