New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-05 06:30:31

Palomar

Re: Visionaries Hope NASA Charts Bold Course - ...Dr. Zubrin Quoted

Read Me

*I found this in early-a.m. Yahoo! headlines.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-12-05 09:07:49

Palomar

*Well, since it certainly seems it's coming down to the wire of Moon versus Mars (with a lot of favor leaning lunar-wards) and the seeming impending military-based (only) competition with China, I'd suggest we all write our reps again.

My fellow U.S. citizens can contact their reps at (this link WORKS; I've used it many times):

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Here's another:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2003-12-05 11:37:39

Rxke

Don't forget to vote on the Yahoo! article... The more people that read stuff like this the better IMHO

#4 2003-12-05 12:54:55

jadeheart
Banned

this ties in pretty closely to a similar piece on CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/12/0 … index.html

but CNN didn't quote any of those golden quips from Dr. Z.  i'm kind of encouraged that at least one mainstream media outlet (yahoo in this case) is looking to the mars society a little on issues like this.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#5 2003-12-05 14:10:29

dickbill

this ties in pretty closely to a similar piece on CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/12/0 … index.html

I read the article, there is also an article from Buzz Aldrin in the New York times, Aldrin preconise to go to L1 orbit instead of the Moon....

They don't get the point at all. For Dubya's councillors, Mars or the Moon, what's the difference ? just tiny points in the sky.

My bet is that a small crew on the moon will do the highest TV show rate for about 2 weeks, after that, back to the Bachelorette and Average Joe. Evrything is grey and notin happen.
But a crew on Mars, I am sure, will make the show for as long as they are there.
Mars is a New World, waiting for life, and he has waited for too long. The Moon is the old world before the world, dead as a grave.

#6 2003-12-05 14:21:56

jadeheart
Banned

hey, you may have hit upon the idea that will save the space program!  'the real world'-- on mars!  think of the ratings!  better yet, they could have the crew be all one gender w/ only one of the other gender present, so it'd have the 'bachelor'/'bachelorette' thing happening too.  it could be a bonanza!

anyway, there are some more articles on the space initiative thing on space.com too.  seems like the whole world is abuzz with this today for some reason.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#7 2003-12-06 06:30:57

Shaun Barrett

I'm hearing that President Bush has already announced a Moon-base and humans-to-Mars, all within 15 years.
    I haven't been able to confirm it yet.
                                                           ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#8 2003-12-06 06:41:26

Palomar

I'm hearing that President Bush has already announced a Moon-base and humans-to-Mars, all within 15 years.
    I haven't been able to confirm it yet.
                                                           ???

*Hi Shaun:  I've seen your posts questioning this matter.  I've not yet seen confirmation via Yahoo! news.

Space.com

Has headlines reading:  International Declaration Signed Advocating Return to the Moon (groan)

and:

White House Says No Major Space Policy Announcements Planned in the 'Near Future'.

I hope this is wrong, but probably it is not.

--Cindy

#9 2003-12-06 07:10:19

Palomar

Read Me

*An article from the "Financial Times."

This, I think, says it all...especially the last sentence.

--Cindy

#10 2003-12-06 07:17:08

Shaun Barrett

Yeah, Cindy, you must be right.
    I just sat through a late night BBC news program and nobody said a word about the Moon or Mars!
    Just a false alarm, I guess.
                                             sad

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#11 2003-12-26 08:32:41

Palomar

*I completely agree with the following (seems many segments of our society are going "around and around"...banality is becoming the accepted norm, in my opinion):

"America's frontier spirit was showing when President John F. Kennedy decided to send a man to the moon. But some critics now say the present human exploration program is an
'embarrassment' that has failed to capture the human imagination.

'It's not really exploration, it's just going around and around,' says Radford Byerly, former staff director of the House Science Committee on space.  'It would be like Lewis and Clark going around and around Central Park in Manhattan. Once you've been around five or 100 times, there's not much exploration left to do on that route.'"

You'd think more people would have figured that out by now, huh?  Further sad commentary on the fact that this has to be pointed out in stark terms.

Above quoted from "Critics:  NASA Must Clarify Exploration Goals"

--Cindy

P.S.:  U.S. Representative Vernon Ehlers (Republican in Michigan) is calling for NASA to decide between science (to exclude extraplanetary manned missions) versus exploration.  He seems to be opposed to further manned missions.

Board footer