New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-04 10:32:49

Bill White

Re: New wrinkle to - the asteroid threat

Possible evidence of a large asteroid strike within the past 500 years.

"What if" a similiar object landed on land? In a populated area?

#2 2003-12-04 10:42:46

clark

a 13 mile 'what if'.

The populated area would be vaporized, and if it hit with enough force, in certain areas, it might cause massive earthquake damage as an after effect of the impact.

Might make the skies dark for a week or so.

Either way, we would have a mighty big hole in the ground and a lot of dead people.  sad

#3 2003-12-04 10:43:51

Palomar

Possible evidence of a large asteroid strike within the past 500 years.

"What if" a similiar object landed on land? In a populated area?

*Hi Bill:  I read a book about 6 years ago (sorry...forgot the title) wherein an asteroid impact on land was discussed, i.e. the aftermath.

Besides the automatic devastation to the living things in the direct impact zone, there is also the "blast" and "shockwave," very similar to those of nuclear bombs (destruction spreading outward).  The book also discussed all the dust and dirt that would fly up into the high atmospheric levels, most of which would hang there for quite some time, which of course would block out a lot of the sunlight...resulting in colder weather, famine conditions, etc. 

It was a hellish scenario for sure.  I can't recall all the consequences and their sequences, unfortunately (sorry).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer