New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-16 02:43:38

bmk
Website

Re: Free Speech on Mars - Theme of BCML Corp. Time Capsule 2006

cool
Hello all,

My company is currently planning to send a Time Capsule into Near Earth Orbit for the sake of demonstrating our commitment to helping open space for everyone.  We'll probably conduct this project with a long term partnership with Space Quest.

Anyway, the theme for our Time Capsule is "Freedom of speech on Earth and every planet within our solar system."  The contents of the capsule will primarily consist of rare ethnic oriented publications produced in the United States from the early 19th century to the present (in digital form).

I wanted to know if anyone out there is aware of any Black African or African American doing something similar.  The reason why I'd like to know if this has been done before by someone Black is due to my current assessment that my company may be the first African American company to embark upon this endeavor.  If so then the launch of our Time Capsule into near earth orbit will be somewhat historic.

[img:sig_uid][url]http://naijaman.united.net.kg/images/ftmc.jpg[/url][/img:sig_uid]
[url=http://www.afternic.com/name.php?id=572612]FlyToMars.com on Afternic[/url]

"With perseverance the needle digs the well." - Nigerian Proverb

#2 2003-12-16 10:58:45

clark

I'll bite, why are you doing this, and why free speech?

#3 2003-12-16 16:07:22

bmk
Website

Why?

Adventure, history, publicity and maybe make a little money in the process.  Space is now wide open for anyone and for whatever reason to venture into it.

Why Free Speech?
I'm happy you asked because your first reply to this posting is the reason why free speech must be championed before the actual colonization of any planet or rock within our solar system.

There are too many autocrats out there who want to control who is going into space, and what they are doing out there.  That in itself is wrong because no one except God has exclusive rights to the heavens.

That's another reason why I was asking have there been any other African Americans participating in helping open space to all.

Since no one has answered yet and considering your answering with a question, then maybe I am the first Black African descent planning such a humble endeavor.

I guess the next question to arise with the arrival of non-Whites into space will the Western form of racism be exported into the heavens.

Will Whites willingly help in the financial support of a private space mission conceptualized, designed and controlled by Blacks.  These kind of social concerns will be put into test before the end of this century as the financial might of non-Whites escalate.

Then maybe one day I can post a small synopsis about one of my dreams without my intentions being suspect.

[img:sig_uid][url]http://naijaman.united.net.kg/images/ftmc.jpg[/url][/img:sig_uid]

#4 2003-12-16 16:55:22

Cobra Commander

Will Whites willingly help in the financial support of a private space mission conceptualized, designed and controlled by Blacks.  These kind of social concerns will be put into test before the end of this century as the financial might of non-Whites escalate.

If there is profit in it for them. Race and ideology are not nearly so powerful a motivator as the prospect of wealth.

A word of caution: Too much focus on race, while at times well-meaning, often causes greater problems than would otherwise exist. Space endeavors focusing on achievements by a particular race rather than the achievement itself will virtually guarantee that racism will follow us into space.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2003-12-16 21:15:52

bmk
Website

Space endeavors focusing on achievements by a particular race rather than the achievement itself will virtually guarantee that racism will follow us into space.

Good point Cobra Commander.  But this can only happen when Whites and Blacks willingly come together to focus on achieving a particular space endeavor regardless of profit or loss.  At this stage of development we are more concerned with proving to the world that space is now attainable to anyone regardless of economic status or race...

#6 2003-12-17 10:40:05

clark

Adventure, history, publicity and maybe make a little money in the process.

Okay, perhaps name the first ship P.T Barnum.  big_smile

I'm happy you asked because your first reply to this posting is the reason why free speech must be championed before the actual colonization of any planet or rock within our solar system.

There are too many autocrats out there who want to control who is going into space, and what they are doing out there.  That in itself is wrong because no one except God has exclusive rights to the heavens.

Are you saying that going into space is a matter of 'free speech'? What does control of space by autocrats have to do with free speech?

That's another reason why I was asking have there been any other African Americans participating in helping open space to all.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't really want to help open space to 'all'. It sounds like you are primarily focused on opening space for Blacks.

How is a space mission 'coneptualized, designed, and controlled' by one particular race, becuase they are a particular race, inclusive?

I guess the next question to arise with the arrival of non-Whites into space will the Western form of racism be exported into the heavens.

What is the western form of racisim?

#7 2003-12-17 16:09:08

bmk
Website

Are you saying that going into space is a matter of 'free speech'? What does control of space by autocrats have to do with free speech?

Yes, going into space for any purpose represents freedom in all of its complexities.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't really want to help open space to 'all'. It sounds like you are primarily focused on opening space for Blacks.

That's impossible Clarke.  Most Black American people are too narrow minded, brainwashed, and too afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone to begin thinking and dreaming of private space exploration...

Actually the only Blacks who would be interested in what I'm talking about are the Intellectual ones, those who are working toward discovering the Unknown and Unseen things of this Universe!!!!!!!!!!!

How is a space mission 'coneptualized, designed, and controlled' by one particular race, becuase they are a particular race, inclusive?

That eventually will be done by Nigeria.

What is the western form of racisim?

I think you know the answer to that question, Clarke.

#8 2003-12-17 16:22:31

clark

Let me apoligize for all these questions... I'm just trying to understand.

Yes, going into space for any purpose represents freedom in all of its complexities.

How does it, or in what way, does going into space represent free speech?

That's impossible Clarke.  Most Black American people are too narrow minded, brainwashed, and too afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone to begin thinking and dreaming of private space exploration...

Well, I didn't say Black Americans... So intellectual Blacks are the ones you think will be interested in going into space. Why are you even focusing on race as an issue to begin with then if you only think 'intellectuals' meet the requirements?

That eventually will be done by Nigeria.

Okay, I am familiar with their plans to put up a sat- but they're a far cry from Human launches.

I think you know the answer to that question, Clarke.

Well, I have my understanding of what I think Western Racism is, but that might not be yours... which is why I would find it helpful if you could explain it. If not, no problem. I fail to see though how Western racism, as I understand it, will be an issue if you are dealing with Nation States and intellectuals....

#9 2003-12-17 16:40:19

Cobra Commander

This is what I was talking about. Now instead of the space mission we're all hung up on the question of race and how it fits in the plan and why anyone even cares.

Ah hell. Lets' just send as many people up there as we can and let 'em fight it out. That approach at least has historical precedent.

???

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#10 2003-12-17 21:56:07

bmk
Website

Clarke, the issue of free speech in space may not be so apparent if you hold the premise that humanity's venture into strange new worlds cancel out negative humanoid behavior.  In all likelihoods we'll colonize other planets in our solar system and bring along all of our dirty laundry including the propensity to govern and oppress people.  That is why it is so important to discuss important social ills confronting man early in this race to enter space.  If it is not approached properly, then the benefits space has to offer mankind will only manifest among a select few.

The focus on race is not my doing.  When people learn about my company's plans to goto to outer space and mine near earth asteroids for precious metals there is interest.  But when people learn that I'm African American planning and heading such an operation, then doubt kicks in.  Why?  Probably because there aren't very many Blacks involved in such endeavors.  But still why be shocked when a Black separatist turn space adventurer?  Racial stereotypes.  These media generated stereotypes must be eliminated.  The best way to eliminate such stereotypes is for the victims of such propaganda to do what I'm trying to do.  I'm putting this Time Capsule into Earth's orbit as a statement, a personal accomplishment, publicity and a demonstration that space is now affordable to those who want it to happen.  My efforts will also show the arrival of a new, progressive breed of Black leadership manifesting that enjoys a pro-futuristic outlook, capable of effectively and efficiently deploying financial capitalism to meet any need on demand.

#11 2003-12-17 21:59:10

bmk
Website

Another perspective, Clarke, on why race is an issue.  I guarantee you that once my team begin promoting our plan on college campuses White students will be the ones taking interest.  Very few Black students will come our way.  It's strange how and why this is.

Ahhhhh, I know why.  Most Black people associate captivation by the stars with White genuises.  Thus Blacks take no interest in such endeavors because "It's not a Black Thang."  Too bad ignorance is so fashionable among the bulk of our people.

But these are some of the obstacles that pioneers like myself must deal with.  Half the reality toward proving the commercial viability of space is changing the way people think in order to muster the needed capital to fund these treks into the final frontier.

#12 2003-12-17 22:02:25

bmk
Website

Cobra Commander, I guess the next turn in this discussion should be about how we intend on accomplishing some of these ventures into space.

#13 2003-12-18 10:32:28

clark

bmk, I think I get it now. Thanks. I'm not interested in helping you with this plan though.

Goodluck.

#14 2003-12-18 11:00:25

Bill White

Ah hell. Lets' just send as many people up there as we can and let 'em fight it out. That approach at least has historical precedent.

???

I would support this plan. The more the merrier.

#15 2003-12-18 11:17:18

clark

Ba, humbug.  big_smile

#16 2003-12-18 11:20:30

Bill White

Clarke, the issue of free speech in space may not be so apparent if you hold the premise that humanity's venture into strange new worlds cancel out negative humanoid behavior.  In all likelihoods we'll colonize other planets in our solar system and bring along all of our dirty laundry including the propensity to govern and oppress people.  That is why it is so important to discuss important social ills confronting man early in this race to enter space.  If it is not approached properly, then the benefits space has to offer mankind will only manifest among a select few.

True. We will bring our dirty laundry. Probably lots of it. I can only hope that during the process of going out there we achieve improvements to our character and our souls.

But just as someone shouldn't skip a school reunion just because they failed to lose those last 10 pounds, I also don't believe we must perfect humanity before we go and settle space.

#17 2003-12-18 20:55:00

Aetius

I'm with Cobra on this one.

Once people start to terraform Mars and establish a powerful central government, people like me will want to leave for Ceres or Ganymede or wherever.

The more the merrier. It's a big solar system.

I believe that whatever profits are to be made from the exploitation of space resources, should belong to those who had the vision and the resources to take the risks. Greed is good.  big_smile

I also don't buy any of this "Star Trek"-ish rubbish about humans being one big happy, altruistic family someday. You can only turn a man into the liberal's "ideal" human by draining the humanity right out of him.

#18 2003-12-18 20:56:18

bmk
Website

Hello Bill, I agree with you that we cannot expect to be perfect as we begin our respective journey into space as civilians.  The key is that we create an environment where all of humanity can benefit from the precious or infinite resources space has to offer.  Most people at this time don't really care about who is in space and how they got there.  They are waiting for someone to convince them that access to space will directly improve their standard of living.  That's where education comes into place.  But most Earthlings don't have access to free nor quality education.

Let's say in another 10 years my company develop to the point where we have the expertise to construct our very own robotic spacecraft and send it to a near earth asteroid in search of precious metals.  In the process we accidentally discover a cheap and inexpensive way to transport huge blocks of ice from one of the moon's poles.  We patent the process and sell the rights to upstart and established space mining companies.  Not only does this spell big business but now the Earth has a fresh source of pure water.  We could overnight eliminate some of the most pressing issues of the Middle East and one of them is who gets access to clean water.

So as we venture into space the issue of race will eventually become secondary if not entirely eliminated in exchange for the improvement of the human condition on Earth.

#19 2003-12-18 21:11:34

bmk
Website

Aetius, how do you feel about free speech on Mars being promoted before actual colonization?

#20 2003-12-19 06:42:03

Aetius

Sounds like a fine idea to me.

#21 2003-12-19 07:17:05

Rxke

Hmmm... bmk, it's *vastly* more cost-effective to purify seawater etc on earth than to ship it from the moon. No matter what new cheap space transport system will be developed, it will stay cheaper to do it on earth. Some arab countries have already invested a lot of money in de-salination plants, like Saoudi Arabia... In the 60's-70's there were even plans to transport icebergs to Africa, using heavy-duty tugboats. And recently Russia revealed they were going to build ships with purification-abilities, so they could go to ports of cities in need and process the water there. (I'll try to find the link for the last one)

#22 2003-12-19 07:55:13

Rxke

mmm... Here's the link, well kinda, it's a negative reaction on the idea. Because it involves nuclear reactors...
Link
There's no talk about puriication in the article, but that was one of the ideas the russian/chinese had. Of course you could use it for other things.

Ok, this is getting wildly off-topic, so i'll stop here. And try to get a bit more on topic...

Space acces would be a good thing for the 'black nations' (bad phrasing, but you know what i mean) it's a great goal to live towards, to get inspired, to prove your know-how, make-do capabilities. So i'm all for it.
India is 'getting the point' Other nations should, too. The best way out of poverty and 'negative image' is through education. Space is a great way to inspire the youth into science/engineering.  The West, trying to act benevolent, drilling water holes for the poor... it's a dead end road. They'd better give scolarships, IT-gear, etc. Starvation is not the cause of poor education, it's a result.
But let's face it: the average Westerner's view of an African nation is that of a mass of hungry people in rags. What we forget is that among those very people, there are profesors, students, engineers,... just like you and me, they just 'happened' to get into some major political/enironmental upheaval.
But we *think* we see a bunch of uneducated people. That's not always the case. It could happen to us, too. Look at the East-European countries, and their refuge camps, during the wars there. Things go downward, very fast, once things start collapsing. Race is not a determinant factor. It can happen everywhere, given enough bad luck.

Access to education is as important as acces to food and shelter. Otherwise you get nowhere. The internet could prove to be a formidable weapon against ignorance, given a chance. Already farmers in 'third world' countries get detailed meteoforecasts for their regio in a low-cost way: small radio-stations downloading weather reports and broadcasting it for everyone. No big deal? Not for Westerners, no, but a lot of places lack decent forcasts, thanks to the 'net that's changing quickly.
Just think for a moment what a feeling of pride it would give, knowing your country built the very meteo-sat that's now giving you the info that you depend upon for a living. These 'small' things are important.

(wow, incoherent rant again)

#23 2003-12-19 09:48:11

Bill White

The value of real estate is detemined by three factors, and all three are this: location.

Equatorial orbits (low inclination) have at least three significant advantages for the staging of missions beyond LEO:

<1> The physics of launch is simply better (partially offset, I have read, by trajectory advantages for going to Mars starting from a higher inclination orbit)

Sea Launch already seeks to leverage this factor.

<2> National secuirty for 1st World nations. The equator does not cross any of the European nations, USA, China or Japan. Therefore, the staging of large amounts of mass in a zero inclination orbit, by civilian agencies, should cause less potential consternation in places like NORAD.

If larger inbound commercial payloads were restricted to using equatorial orbits, US Space Command tracking radars could verify the trajectories of incoming materials long before arrival and have more confidence the SpaceExpress shipment really was a benign commercial shipment rather than a kinetic weapon with New York or Tokyo's name on it.

Since US Space Command has already been given proposals to deploy depleted uranium tipped lawn darts in GEO (to drop as bunker buster kinetic weapons) I am fairly confident they would not want massiev commerical LEO activities going on overhead northern hemisphere cities.

Poor Indonesia, Kenya and Nigeria? See below.

<3> Space debris management. It seems to me that the vital first step (after prevention) for the management of space debris is tracking the junk. If large scale LEO activities related to missions intended to travel beyond LEO were confined to equatorial orbits, any resulting debris would also be confined to those same low inclination orbits, which would simplify tracking.

One consesequence of this is the enchancement in value of equatorial real estate. Sure, equatorial nations would be exposed to the risks associated with item #2 however the flip side is that launch facilities are best constructed on the equator. Non-equatorial orbits leave all exposed to the kinetic weapon lawn dart disguised as He3 from Luna while equatorial orbits limit that risk AND enhance the value of equatorial real estate which can create WEALTH for the forward minded equatorial nation.

Thoughts on this?

#24 2003-12-19 10:19:54

bmk
Website

Bill that was very good information.  I'll study it further.  It appears I may have use for that info in one of my long range strategies in helping to establish a commercial/civilian space program in Black Africa.  Thanks for sharing that interesting piece of info.  big_smile

#25 2003-12-19 10:30:02

bmk
Website

Sounds like a fine idea to me.

What are some of the methods that can be used to bring these topics to the attention of the established media?  Or do you think its pre-mature?

Also considering the oppression endured by Black Americans, Native Americans and other peoples considered expendable by 19th and 20th century America, do you feel that it's quite symbolic that a Black separatist turned space adventurer is sending a Time Capsule into orbit as a statement for free speech, free press and related First Amendment values?

Board footer