New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-05-30 14:21:13

Palomar

Re: Philosophers on Mars? - Who would you "take"?

Greetings.

Which philosopher's work(s) would you take to Mars, and why?

My vote goes to Voltaire.  He was compassionate, humanitarian, wise, practical, possessed foresight, etc. 

While he never attempted to develop a philosophical *system* (he felt such a thing was a waste of time) -- and was more than a philosopher, a playwright, etc. -- he was, IMO, "right on" with regards to the human condition, optimism, human potential, and reality.

More importantly, he was a man of *action*...and not just that of words.  Has anyone here ever read Victor Hugo's 1878 Oration of Voltaire?  Hugo gave this oration upon the 100th anniversary of Voltaire's death.

Voltaire was the friend of mankind.  If I were to go as a colonist to Mars, I'd take his writings with me.

--Cindy

Mars Society member since 6/01.

P.S.:  I am owner and moderator of an 18th century Enlightenment mailing list.  If you are interested, write me privately.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-05-31 05:27:04

Peter Pevensie
Banned

Hi Cindy!  Great topic!

I hope this doesn't start an argument (yeah, right! big_smile ), but I'd take the Christian Bible with me.  Though not technically a work of philosophy, the principles for interpersonal relationships set forth in the New Testament teachings of Jesus in particular could have an incredible impact on an infant society.

I'd probably add to that the work of Karl Barth, John Warwick Montgomery, and (believe it or not) Nietzsche.  I'm a study in contrasts. tongue

[Edit:  I almost forgot S?ren Kierkegaard!]

"When I think about everything we've been through together, maybe it's not the destination that matters. Maybe it's the journey..."

#3 2002-05-31 09:35:37

Palomar

Peter wrote:  "I'd probably add to that the work of Karl Barth, John Warwick Montgomery, and (believe it or not) Nietzsche.  I'm a study in contrasts.

[Edit:  I almost forgot S?ren Kierkegaard!]"

Hi Peter:

Though I'm not *yet* well-versed in the following philosophers, I'd also take the works of Montesquieu and John Locke.  The USA Founding Fathers said they drew mostly upon Montesquieu's writings when drawing up the Constitution (and I presume also the Bill of Rights).  John Locke was also considered a "patron saint" of the Enlightenment by his intellectual colleagues.

--Cindy

Mars Society member since 6/01

P.S.:  Everyone is welcome to inquire with me privately regarding my Enlightenment era mailing list!

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2002-05-31 10:44:18

Peter Pevensie
Banned

If you're both an Enlightenment scholar and a Mars enthusiast, Cindy, I'd recommend
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … 5-6435017]The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

(The link is to the Amazon.com description.)  Although it's a bit out of balance and uncharacteristically closed-minded coming from such a great scholar (I'd love to have seen him debate religion with Polkinghorn and Hawking big_smile ), it's a fairly clear look into what the Enlightenment mindset had evolved into by the late 20th century.

Visited by moderator 2022/01/30

"When I think about everything we've been through together, maybe it's not the destination that matters. Maybe it's the journey..."

#5 2002-05-31 10:53:01

clark

Probably a bit off topic, yet a bit related- Has anyone ever read a book titled: Sophie's World?

great book, great idea- I suggest that if you have read it, don't ruin the concept. It is a philosphical construct, presenting a history of philosphers. It is by far one of the most engrossing books I have ever encountered.

Along the same esoteric lines is a book called, Looking for Caciatto.

#6 2002-05-31 12:23:27

Palomar

Hi Peter:  I have read "Demon-Haunted World."   smile

--Cindy

MS member since 6/01

#7 2002-05-31 12:28:04

Palomar

Clark wrote:  "Probably a bit off topic, yet a bit related- Has anyone ever read a book titled: Sophie's World?"

Who is the author?

--Cindy

P.S.:  I can't get the "Quote" feature to work for me, which is why I'm copying and pasting.  sad

#8 2002-05-31 14:53:27

clark

Sophie's World : A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder, Paulette Moller (Translator)

http://www.amazon.com/exec....2661404

Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien

http://www.amazon.com/exec....2661404

#9 2002-05-31 15:01:55

Adrian
Website

I can second Clark's recommendation for Sophie's World (me agreeing with Clark? Say it ain't so! smile )

It's a great introduction to the different schools of philosophy through history, and it's also an engrossing story to boot. A suggestion for another thread: Perhaps we should make a list of books that all self-respecting Mars Society members and potential colonists should read?

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#10 2002-05-31 15:10:37

Phobos

Along the same esoteric lines is a book called, Looking for Caciatto

Is that novel by Tim O'Brien?  He's an awesome writer, his novel "The Things They Carry" is one of my favorites.  As for novels by those who are acclaimed as philosophers I think I'd have to choose Candide by Voltaire.  I loved that novel, I thought it was witty as well as deep.   As for philosophers I'd take to Mars, maybe I'll just drag Clark and Bill White along and let them debate a proper political system for Mars during the trip.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#11 2002-06-01 14:48:53

Palomar

Phobos wrote:  "As for novels by those who are acclaimed as philosophers I think I'd have to choose Candide by Voltaire.  I loved that novel, I thought it was witty as well as deep."   

*I'm about halfway through it.  By comparison with Voltaire's other philosophical tales, this one is a bit strange.   ???  I'd call it a dark comedy, for sure.  I am enjoying it, however.  Last evening I was at the part of the story where Candide and Cacambo find themselves in a Paraguan meadow, Candide shoots two monkeys chasing two girls, and then fearing reprisals for having shot the monkeys, Candide and Cacambo hide in the forest.  They fall asleep, only to awaken tied up with spears pointed at them.  Cacambo is sure he can communicate with the hostile tribe members, and begins to address them very formally.  At that point in the story, my imagination did a "switcheroo," and I could see R2D2 and C-3PO in that spot, with C-3PO giving the address in his delicate English accent.  The whole image gave me quite a laugh.  Yes, I'd say the story is witty -- and then some!  A bit on the manic side, too.

Voltaire is adorable, do admit!

--Cindy

#12 2002-06-01 18:49:53

Phobos

Oh yeah, I must admit that Voltaire is one of my favorite philosophers even if I don't agree with all of his ideas.  I think a lot of people would be surprised that Voltaire, and other philosophers as well, aren't just these dry, humorless entities that spew out unintelligible arguments.  A lot people probably get scared away because the first exposure they have is to someone like Kant who can be pretty #### intimidating.  I've been reading Rosseau lately and he strikes me as something of softer, gentler Plato.  They both seem to believe in the supremacy of the state, but I doubt if Plato would believe in a concept as the "general will."  Plato defended the idea that there are people who possess the wisdom to rule from their own reason and that the masses should really have no say being that they lack the political wisdom to positively affect the state.  Actually Rosseau, so far as I've read,  doesn't seem to defend any kind of political system in particular.  He wrote that different governments can suit different countries.  I'll get back to Rosseau though when I've read more of him.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#13 2002-06-03 05:34:06

clark

Volitare is "deep"? LOL   big_smile

Isn't that like calling Sagan "pretty smart"?

Just thought it was a pretty funny understatment.

As for philosophers I'd take to Mars, maybe I'll just drag Clark and Bill White along and let them debate a proper political system for Mars during the trip.

I think THIS discussion should be continued under the "Crime and Insanity" thread. smile

At least talking one on one he wouldn't be able to chastize me for improper spelling.

Board footer