New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-04-01 15:07:01

clark

Re: Talk about Naming Mars-an Settlements... - if you have comments, or questions:

It seems a few people are reading the posts I am making in the naming martian settlements thread.

I will continue, as I do this for my own reasons, but I for one am curious as to what others think?

Or perhaps if a few of you want to talk about any of the things I bring up? Even if you have never posted before, please, feel free to do so now.

Either way, thanks.

Critisicm is of course welcome... but not the scorn. I can't handle scorn.

P.S. - Adrian, I do realize that I may be off-topic here, please feel free to place this where you deem appropriate (like you need my silly permission to begin with!)
big_smile

#2 2003-04-01 17:05:34

Byron

Re: Talk about Naming Mars-an Settlements... - if you have comments, or questions:

I've been reading - and enjoying your "Mars-an" posts.  Good writing about the Red Planet is awfully hard to come by, so I, for one, appreciate your contributions to this board of your stories and soul-stirring poetry. 

Just a couple of questions:  What kind of settlements are you envisioning for your Mars-ans?  What terraforming projects, if any, are they involved in?  What kind of day-to-day lives do they live?

O.K., I'll stop here, in any case, please keep writing!

B

#3 2003-04-01 17:24:36

clark

What kind of settlements are you envisioning for your Mars-ans?"

Many. I have shown but a few. How each is composed, how it works, they all follow similar guidelines. However, like life, each realizes those guidelines in their own way.

Think of it like a ship- they come in many different shapes and sizes, yet each is constructed of the same main components.

What terraforming projects, if any, are they involved in?

Well, there are terraforming projects, as I have hinted at or described. There are other projects, but they are dependant upon the time frame of the story. i am envisioning a more linear approach to terraforming- not a "blow up the planet" kind of thing- but something more gradual that makes progress through small steps, not giant bounds.

What kind of day-to-day lives do they live?

It depends on who you mean by 'they'. Sorry, couldn't resist the rather cheap and bad joke that was. Anyway, their day to day lives are like ours- a function of our environment and the people that inhabit it.

Of course my Mars-an's always like it when I give them something to do...

#4 2003-04-02 13:25:15

clark

Interesting what you said about those Dark Days. I think something very bad can happen with space colonies, but it wouldn't necessarily be the fault of the entire Earth:

True, but I am approaching this from a slightly different angle. It isn't a matter of placing correct blame, it is a matter of events, and how different people perceive these events based on their circumstances.

To give you an example, to clarify: The US goverment is engaged in a war with another country. Is this war the fault of the entire US population? Many americans would answer this single question differently, but it is a simple yes or no answer. Many non-americans would answer differently too, yet we all witness the same events.

I must confess, I have not given anyone the reasons behind the abandonment of the space colonies... yet. However, the end result will be from the non-terran persepctive, it will look like Earth has abandoned them.

And thank you for naming New Tomis for me.  big_smile

#5 2003-04-02 16:53:27

clark

Well, thank you for that reply BGD, but it was a bit of a rhetorical question.  big_smile

That said, your points are well taken, but I would rather delve into modern day politcs elsewhere.

But maybe they would be wiser than us, earthlings, and they won't blame the many for the mistakes of the few.

True, and I do deal with some of these issues, after all, how can I not? I don't like unanswered questions, or things that just don't logically make sense.

You may have noticed some of my refrences to "Hu-man" (pronounced Hoo-Man). This is part of how I deal with the shades of differences in how people perceive others.
You can be Terran, which is of Earth. You're a person from Earth, so that's your title. That's how I see you if I am a non-terran.

Now, if you do something bad, or I have a bad impression of you, then I see you as Hu-man. Sure, you can be Terran, but that dosen't get the idea of what i think about you across. I need to differentiate between the how I perceive the two. So even a Mars-an can be considered a Hu-man, becuase Hu-man is defined by a set of behaviours which all people of Man posses, but only some choose to act on them.

Considering all these, and other things, do you really think Mars will be a new begining? Or just a new place, with the same problems? Moreover, are we worthy enough to go to Mars?

No, i do't think Mars is a new begining, i think it is a new opportunity for us to learn something we just can't seem to learn here on Earth. In large part, Mars will experience the same problems, yet I think it will develop new strategies to deal with them. I also think we as a people are worthy, just some individuals less so.

#6 2003-04-13 13:11:57

A.J.Armitage

Critisicm is of course welcome... but not the scorn. I can't handle scorn.

You fool! A curse of boanthropy be upon you!

Human: the other red meat.

#7 2003-04-13 13:30:01

clark

Cute.

#8 2003-05-21 15:14:59

clark

Cindy:

*Lovely, Clark.  And considering it's already in the 90's here...

I'm wondering:  How long does it, on average, take you to create a post like this (sans typing)?  Do the ideas come quickly together?

--Cindy

I take a page from Kerouac, and find that the stream of consiousness is a great way to formulate ideas. I've learned to generally trust my instincts and not second guess what I am doing- it's a bit hard to actually explain the 'process' though... it took me a little longer to weave your comment in though because there wasn't much to work with...

A straight forward answer though:

Valhalla took me about 20 minutes to develop and type out. Sometimes it takes me longer to develop plot points- but that is a function of layering arcs throughout a storyline to create a more compelling story.

I actually had a harder time coming up with the 'name' than the actual description and backstory.

#9 2003-05-28 13:30:09

clark

Cindy asked:

BTW, I notice you used the word "minuet" in your most recent post (relative to the photo from Mars of Earth and the Moon).  Did I somehow influence you to use "the minuet" in descriptive?  wink

Perhaps.  big_smile  You do go on about France quite a bit... it just may have a subconscious effect... some threads do that.

Thank you for your praise regarding the value of some of my work- it is encouraging to say the least.

#10 2003-05-28 15:16:45

Palomar

Clark:  "Perhaps.    You do go on about France quite a bit..."

*Who, ME?  Nah!  I'm gonna get you into a powdered wig yet, young man!

Clark:  "it just may have a subconscious effect... some threads do that."

*Hmmmm.  You're impressionable, huh?  I just may start typing in reverse to...whoops, ha ha, forget what I started saying.  smile

Clark:  "Thank you for your praise regarding the value of some of my work- it is encouraging to say the least."

*You're welcome.  Merit and talent deserve praise. 

BTW, just curious:  Are you open to the notion of others winging a few scenarios your way, for you to consult your muse on and write up?  I don't have any scenarios, but just thought I'd ask.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#11 2003-05-28 15:24:14

clark

What do you mean by "scenerio's"? It's pretty broad in terms of interpretation... Give me an example of what you are thinking about.

However, if I am guessing right on what you mean, then  I am open to others suggestions or requests. I enjoy the challenge.

Of course, I have to clear everything with my muse first.  ???  :laugh:

#12 2003-05-28 15:32:33

Palomar

What do you mean by "scenerio's"? It's pretty broad in terms of interpretation... Give me an example of what you are thinking about.

*Someone throws a few (related/semi-related) words out and you write a story around them. 

For instance:  Mons Olympus, shadows, frost, morning.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#13 2003-05-28 16:14:27

clark

A story? I've done that with poetry to the point where it is second hand... but I don't think I have ever been given the same task and exploring the results in a 'story'.

I think I could do it, but stories usually require a bit more structure. That's one of the reasons why I haven't been able to use everything that others have posted in the naming settlements thread- there are rules to contend with.

Of course, if someone does have a 'scenerio', I would like the chance to try. I think it would be fun, and educational for me.

#14 2003-05-28 16:23:26

Palomar

A story? I've done that with poetry to the point where it is second hand... but I don't think I have ever been given the same task and exploring the results in a 'story'.

I think I could do it, but stories usually require a bit more structure. That's one of the reasons why I haven't been able to use everything that others have posted in the naming settlements thread- there are rules to contend with.

Of course, if someone does have a 'scenerio', I would like the chance to try. I think it would be fun, and educational for me.

*Sorry...I meant poetry; what you are already doing.  "Story" was a wrong choice of wording, sorry...

--Cindy

#15 2003-05-29 08:02:44

clark

You mean something like this?

first light breaks
upon Olympus Mons;
sunlight scatters upon
this reef,
whose shadow
darkens morning still
and frosts the
scarlet sea.

big_smile

#16 2003-05-29 09:17:03

Palomar

You mean something like this? ...
big_smile

*Yep.  That's what I meant...show off  tongue  nyaaaa.

--Cindy  wink

#17 2003-05-29 11:05:44

clark

What, nothing about merit and talent?  tongue  big_smile

The issue with doing something similar in a traditional story format is that more information is required in order to make it meaningful.

I've been adding names given to me by others to things that really don't require the names to begin with- any name will do when all is said and done.

If I were to take the words you suggested (frost, Olympus Mons, morning, and shadow), I could develop a scene based on the setting- but the story itself could be anything... a little too open ended for my tastes. What's missing is just a plot starter really- a catalyst if you will.

Love, hate, revenge, greed, tragedy, comedy, etc.- then you have some boundaries within which to explore.

It's similar to you asking for "the funniest thing that you ever saw"- you've placed a constraint, defined the parameters, but left the overall story itself a blank page yet to be filled.

This is the same thing.  big_smile

#18 2003-06-11 10:27:36

clark

Something rather disturbing happened... I know this is merely coincidence, and I say this honestly, but some brat whom I have never met stole the name to my spaceship!

I haven't told anyone what it is, thus I know that it is simple happenstance that has brought about this strange feeling.

I direct you to this:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=827

Spirit Lifts Off for Mars

You see, the name of MY spaceship to Mars, the one that takes the first people there, it's named Spirit.

I wrote this several months ago, and now, I have to figure out something new! Arggggh!
:angry:  :laugh:

Well, I guess it's a small price to pay for the picture from Remembrance Point...

Anybody have a name for my spaceship?  ???  big_smile

#19 2003-06-11 10:54:34

Bill White

Try a translation of "spirit" into some exotic language. Then name another character after the child who picked "Spirit" for the NASA craft.

I hear authors do playful stuff like this all the time.

#20 2003-06-11 11:00:34

clark

Excellent suggestion Bill.

10,000 entries, and they choose two names, one of which is the name of the spaceship I send to Mars...

I had my heart set on Spirit though. Se la ve.

just too weird.

#21 2003-06-11 11:15:55

Bill White

A writing teacher once suggested to our class that we explore the theosaurus in situations like this - look up "spirit" and let your mind wander.

Do it online and you can surf through a great many words fairly quickly.

This will also help clarify * why * you liked the name "Spirit" so much. If you can figure out why you like Spirit so much, I daresay you might find something even better.

For character names, he also suggested a $9.95 "baby name" book (or free web sites) with meanings and histories. Page through randomly and ideas will just pop out at you.

#22 2003-06-11 11:23:46

clark

This will also help clarify * why * you liked the name "Spirit" so much. If you can figure out why you like Spirit so much, I daresay you might find something even better.

I'm pretty sure I know why I chose the name. To give you an idea, take a look at this link:

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=spirit

I chose it becuase it is such a versatile idea. The first manned mission to Mars- there is just so much working at that one point, so much meaning, and "spirit" is one of the few names that come close to capturing that feeling I get when I think about it.

Mars is a Spirit waiting to be born.
Mars takes Spirit to get to.
Mars requires Spirit to survive there.
Mars needs the Spirit of Man to live
Mars is without Spirit.
Mars is filled with the Spirit of possibility...

But then, you get the idea.  big_smile

Thanks for the suggestions. More are welcome.

Board footer