New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-02-11 21:32:58

Earthfirst

Re: Shuttle Colombia break up! - How will affect nasa

As you can see by the pole people reacted to the event in many ways some felt saddness, others dont realy care why are they any more special than passigers on a jet plain. While others just want to know when a exlussive night club will open up on mars.  Some just want more government hand outs.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Any ways please tell me how it made you feel, and how will it afect maned space flight.

I love plants!

#2 2003-02-11 21:38:23

soph

I think that we have to pursue other launch vehicles, my personal inclination being NTRs like NERVA.  However, I think that even with a significantly cheaper chemical launch vehicle, our capabilities will be improved.  Our overall goal should be more efficient launch systems-we should at least do R&D on nuclear vehicles, so we can use them down the road.  Only using a more efficient method of propulsion will we significiantly reduce the cost of space travel, and develop orbit.

#3 2003-02-13 22:37:11

Earthfirst

I think that you are right it wont hurt maned space flight much any ways by the time NASA develops a new spaceship China will be sending up little caspulals like the Gemeye program. Thats to fromer pres Clinton taking away founds away from Nasa that X 303 or what every that space space ship they were desiging never got off the drawing broads. I think the blood of those brave heros is on that playboy holywood elit kisser ex pres hands. You never hread a pep about that little fact on the news. NASA would not have to use 20 year old obsoletle ships. Nasa had plan to retire the shuttle mouths before the event but had to put it back in use. Are hero should should be flying in state of the art ships not pieces of junk. Sure its state art now and was 20 years ago, but so was beta max machines and A tracks. Do you go around showing off your proble phone, or old apples computters from 1983 to your friends. But thats what Nasa has been forced to do and we are runing out of shuttles to loss but not heros to die!  sad  sad

I love plants!

#4 2003-06-24 10:20:27

Palomar

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2003-06-24 10:21:58

clark

I for one hope they don't launch by December.

#6 2003-06-24 10:25:08

Palomar

I for one hope they don't launch by December.

*Okay...now care to give us your reason(s)?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2003-06-24 10:30:33

clark

Because it wilbe more of the same thing.

We will fly the Shuttle until the next one explodes. And the horrible part is that everyone will accept it.

It will be business as usual: tune in, tune out, and for gods sake *don't think*.

Don't get me wrong, I want NASA to be flying again, but I am looking at the larger picture if the Shuttle is grounded.

If the Shuttle is grounded, it will FORCE NASA to invest in alternative access to space. No one is going to pay for another lemon of a Shuttle. It will have to be something new.

Secondly, China is blasting off in Oct-Decmeber time frame. If we are NOT flying by that point, you will see SPACE be a major politcal issue in the coming elections.

All of that is less likely if we are flying as usual. Just more bumbling in LEO, without any traction to go somewhere.

Board footer