New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-24 10:38:13

Palomar

Re: Prince Gets Confused - Oui?

*I have to share this; it was hilarious.  Saturday night I was practicing French words and little phrases.  I was outdoors, stargazing, leaning against the hood of my husband's pickup truck, which is parked 1-1/2 feet away from a chainlink fence which encloses the front of our property.  Prince, our 9-year-old Chow-Chow, was sitting on the cement behind the fence.  I had my back to him, of course, and began mumbling French words sporadically.  After a minute or so I suddenly heard this whooshing "ROUFF!  Roufff, rouff!!"  Prince had gotten confused, jumped up and toward the fencing, barking -- he thought I was someone else!  Well of course...he's never heard French before.  And he's always affection and gentle, so this wasn't a repeat of occasional confused or aggressive behavior.  I said, "Prince!"  He tilted his head, automatically recognized me, and began jumping up and down affectionately.  Awwww, he's such a little sweetheart!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-06-24 14:46:42

dickbill

<joke>Or maybe he's just anti-french, as many americans ar today unfortunatelly.  sad </joke>
Or maybe he just thought you were possessed or sometin'  big_smile  ???

...possessed by Voltaire, sure.

Thanks to Cindy, I now pay attention when i see something about Voltaire and last week end, I read in the New York Times (the issue was actually about how it's unpolitically correct to be small) that Voltaire was small, 5 feet 3 or something. Could you imagine that Cindy ? did he overcompensate for his small size by having a BIG carosse ?

#3 2003-06-24 14:56:45

Palomar

<joke>Or maybe he's just anti-french, as many americans ar today unfortunatelly.  sad </joke>
Or maybe he just thought you were possessed or sometin'  big_smile  ???

...possessed by Voltaire, sure.

Thanks to Cindy, I now pay attention when i see something about Voltaire and last week end, I read in the New York Times (the issue was actually about how it's unpolitically correct to be small) that Voltaire was small, 5 feet 3 or something. Could you imagine that Cindy ? did he overcompensate for his small size by having a BIG carosse ?

*I think it was Edward Gibbon who, visiting at Ferney when Voltaire was in his early 70s, estimated Voltaire's as 5 feet, 10 inches tall (I read this at the Voltaire Society of America web site).  However, I've seen at least one other reference to his "tiny corpse" (referring to his nephew rushing the body out of Paris for a decent burial, before the church authorities could get a hold of it and literally throw it away).

I'm not certain. 

And what is a "carosse"?  I checked both French and Italian translation; it simply returns that word.  Or is this something I shouldn't discuss with a man who isn't my husband?  smile

He had a big heart, that's for sure.  That wonderful guy!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2003-06-24 15:19:14

dickbill

*I think it was Edward Gibbon who, visiting at Ferney when Voltaire was in his early 70s, estimated Voltaire's as 5 feet, 10 inches tall

but he was tall then ??? was it a mental representation of the "grand" Voltaire by an necessary "grand" stature ?  or just a misreport. Don't forget that at that time, the metric system was not yet implemented (I think it was at the revolution) and the french mensuration system was still using exotic units which migh have been difficult to recalculate for an american translator. Maybe Voltaire was 5'10 french feet. Well ,I don't know. 

And what is a "carosse"?

It's like a luxuous carrage. Remember Cinderella ? she was waiting until midnight and came back in her pumpkin "carosse". 

You're right Cindy, we cannot discuss too much the well known issue of guy's size versus guy's car size. Well, I don't want to go further...

#5 2003-06-24 15:55:18

Palomar

*I think it was Edward Gibbon who, visiting at Ferney when Voltaire was in his early 70s, estimated Voltaire's as 5 feet, 10 inches tall

but he was tall then ??? was it a mental representation of the "grand" Voltaire by an necessary "grand" stature ?  or just a misreport. Don't forget that at that time, the metric system was not yet implemented (I think it was at the revolution) and the french mensuration system was still using exotic units which migh have been difficult to recalculate for an american translator. Maybe Voltaire was 5'10 french feet. Well ,I don't know.

*I was wrong on who reported his height, but they were Americans, using standard feet and inches (I've read about the development in metrics, which originated in France; it was toward the latter part of the century, but just prior to the French Revolution).  This is quoted in its original form:

John Morgan and Samuel Powel, 16 September 1764
This is perhaps the first recorded visit to see Voltaire by Americans. Taken from The Journal of Dr. John Morgan of Philadelphia from the city of Rome to the City of London.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Chateau de Fernay. Sunday, ye I6th. --After Dinner went to the Chateau de Fernay--distant ab't an hours ride from Town to pay our respects to Monsr Voltaire to whom we had a letter from Mr. Wm. Huett an english Gentl'n whom we knew at Rome.

His Chateau as we observed it in driving into the Court Yard appears new--a double House, sufficiently large to contain a great family, being 3 stories high & neat with a Chapel on one side of the Court Yard in front, & the other w'ch is the side by w'ch we enter some round turrets,--which give more ye Air of a Castle--the front side to the Road being shut up. As for his Theatre I did not see it to know it, being as I suppose on one side of the Hall of Room before the Hall by w'ch we enter from the Court Yard.

Our Coach having drove into the Yard up to the Door, Monsr Voltaire himself received us on the steps...(snip)...

As for Mr. Voltaire himself as I have a good print of him I shall not describe him very particularly. He begins now to stoop with Years of Care, is thin meagre & if strait I believe would be about five feet ten Inches high. Has a very sagacious but at the same time Comical look. Something satirical and very lively in his Action, of w'ch he is full as most of his Nation are. His words w'ch are very emphatical seem to be accompani'd with an Action little less so.

--Cindy

#6 2003-06-24 16:09:57

dickbill

As for Mr. Voltaire himself as I have a good print of him I shall not describe him very particularly. He begins now to stoop with Years of Care, is thin meagre & if strait I believe would be about five feet ten Inches high. Has a very sagacious but at the same time Comical look. Something satirical and very lively in his Action, of w'ch he is full as most of his Nation are. His words w'ch are very emphatical seem to be accompani'd with an Action little less so.

Thanks for the quote Cindy. Is It indeed possible that Voltaire was so thin that he gave the feeling to be tall (5feet10 is pretty tall, even in todays standard) , while he was actually small ? 
I cannot imagine that he had 7 inches high eals, Dr Morgan would not be fooled by that, especially a doctor. I have to check the New York Times for the article then, and other sources too.

#7 2003-06-25 11:37:53

dickbill

quote from last sunday 22nd, NYtimes newspaper,

Short Men, Short Shrift. Are Drugs the Answer?

By NATALIE ANGIER
...Picasso was only 5-foot-4 and Voltaire an inch beneath him; and one way to stand tall is to do stand-up? ...

Well, the issue of Voltaire's size is too insignificant to ask Ms Angier her source.

Board footer