New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-08-05 15:05:36

Bill White

Re: Maybe I should. . . - "get a life!"

The following is a delightful quote copied from the K5 site Adrian so graciously introduced us to - and the emphasis is mine:

I admit; I'm a politic-discussion junkie. I love to argue, poke holes in people's logic, and spread my opinions. In fact, of all the articles I have written, about 1/3 were about politics. However, I have come to a realization. Winning an argument on the internet is like winning a gold medal at the Special Olympics -- even though you're the champ, you're still a retard. With that in mind, I'd like to point out a few things about the political discussions on Kuro5hin.org that I have noticed.

Hardly politically correct - actually I do support Special Olympics as being a truly worthy cause - but I still think its funny.

But don't worry, clark, Cindy, Phobos, AJ, MarkS, Josh Cryer et. al.,

I think I am addicted to the whole lot of you.

wink

#2 2002-08-05 15:46:26

Mark S
Banned

As an extremely opinionated person myself, I have realized that logical and reasoned debate usually doesn't change the minds of others who also have logical opinions.  The purpose of debate is to sway the uninformed and to raise awareness about your point of view.  As a poster on this forum I hope that I have at least raised awareness of different aspects of Mars mission design, especially from an engineering point-of-view.

"I'm not much of a 'hands-on' evil scientist."--Dr. Evil, "Goldmember"

#3 2002-08-05 20:06:10

Phobos

Hey Bill you just gave me an idea.  Maybe everytime someone actually wins a political argument over here we'll award them a Special Olympics medal that they can proudly display in the space beneath their names.  And I agree that there's very little chance of actually changing peoples' political opinions in internet forums or anywhere else for that matter.  But I still think it's good to state your opinions simply because it might be one you've never heard before.  I think that bit Shaun wrote about fascism in the flags thread was the best summation of fascism I ever read.  Anyways, I often find my mind easily changed on things like engineering and science.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#4 2002-08-06 08:48:53

Palomar

But I still think it's good to state your opinions simply because it might be one you've never heard before.

*Agreed.  Besides, I've learned a lot by interacting with select people on internet forums such as these.  I won't interact with "just anybody," and yes there are a lot of cranks and creeps online; avoid them.  I'd never heard the term "model agnostic" until I happened to strike up a friendship with a young archeology student from Brooklyn, NY.  That's just one example. 

The most advantageous thing about interacting on the internet is that it's free of interruptions...no jealous spouse/significant other is honing in, trying to bust up an innocent conversation because the attention is momentarily diverted from them; no interloper is trying to hijack a conversation s/he knows nothing about, and attempts to physically ignore them go nowhere because you are there with them; no clinging child is trying to distract mom or dad because they don't want to sit another 5 minutes while you finish up your discourse...etc., etc.

When you find people you want to interact with on the internet, it's a purer and more concentrated form of interaction, IMO.  You have this ability to select and choose who you wish to interact with, and who you wish to ignore.  I think I'm a rather discerning person, and that helps. 

I really don't understand people who consider that internet interactions may be a lesser thing; they can be, just like in "real life", but needn't be.  I've had more enjoyable, indepth intellectual conversations on the internet than I've been able to find in "real life," no contest there.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2002-08-06 11:14:32

clark

The funniest thing about interacting with people on the internet is emotion. Here we all are, seperate individuals, living our seperate lives, with the liklihood of actually meeting one another very small. I interact with all of you as much or as little as I want, and you all do the same.

I don't care what you look like, if you're a racist, an idiot, or how you think the world should work.  After all, why the hell should I?

Cindy thinks there should be laws in place that guareentee the right for people to kill themselves when they want to. Good for her, more power to her.

Bill is even handed, a testimony to what life can teach one person.

Phobos is still trying to figure it all out (like everyone)

And Mark S can be as think headed as myself.

I find that I became much happier when I admit to myself that I am trying to convice myself, and not others of what i believe and why.

After all, it is up to each one of us to find out our own truth, no one will give it to you.

A parrot can mimic what is aid to it, but does it understand what it is saying?
A person can read all of the world philosphies, and hear all the points of view, but does that mean they have any true understanding?

Understanding why someone else thinks something will only help you understand them, but it will never teach you about yourself, which is where true wisdom lies.

That being said, I still have fun.  tongue

#6 2002-08-06 12:06:08

Bill White

Bill is even handed, a testimony to what life can teach one person.

Phobos is still trying to figure it all out (like everyone)

Hey! I like your description of Phobos better - I am also still trying to figure it all out. . .

smile

Anyway, for perhaps the first time ever, clark as written a post I can agree with 100% - although I do tend to agree with clark more than many others on the board; provided we set aside all that old "Moon first" stuff. . . and . . . we always remember that he raises extreme examples to force us to reach the logical conclusions of our arguments.

I also agree with all of Cindy's post - being free to focus only on ideas without real life issues getting in the way is part of what makes internet discussions so popular. Yet, talking philosophy with some bread and cheese and a good Napa Valley red wine is a good thing also.

Cheers! to all and Ad Martem!

big_smile

#7 2002-08-06 20:40:24

Bill White

Here is another gem stolen from K5:

?You are very, very interesting, and very, very perceptive; so interesting and so perceptive that I think we will now fight with knives.? ?Moltar

Kinda' describes some of our discussions, no?

#8 2002-08-31 12:52:13

turbo
Banned

Hello All!
I've been looking at the MDRS part of the MS site.  I'm curious, what do those packs weigh and what are they made of? 
Classes are over and the Dream Job isn't here yet, so I thought about making a EVA backpack myself.  I have a few ideas, but I was wondering if there was a weight restriction or a standarized air hose fitting size that is used.

wink Yes, eventually I will get a life!
turbo, your friendly neighborhood electronics type

#9 2002-08-31 17:16:09

Adrian
Website

Sounds like an interesting project turbo, although it's probably more suited for a thread in 'Mars Analog Research Stations' than here in 'Free Chat'  wink

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#10 2002-09-01 11:45:05

turbo
Banned

Sounds like an interesting project turbo, although it's probably more suited for a thread in 'Mars Analog Research Stations' than here in 'Free Chat'  wink

Actually, I'm kinda hoping to get it into Life Support.  I'd like to start out with the simple simulation types, then work up to CO2 scrubbers and the like, and finally to true self-contained atmosphere. 

I figured I'd start off in Free Chat rather than start a new thread in "Analog."

t   wink

#11 2002-09-01 13:09:19

Adrian
Website

Life support is equally good  smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

Board footer