New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-15 22:09:06

Earthfirst

Re: Mars whats Next? - Has NASA have any plans of colonization?

We all know about NASA plans of robot missions to mars, but do they have any plans to send a maned mission to mars? With the purpose to start a settlment, which would to the colonization of Mars. As far as I could find out only people like in the Mars Society and other other groups have come up with any plans on matter how far ficth they may seem. If these groups like the Mars society would sign a lettler and send it to congress and the president, it could make the government  look serously at coming up with a plan beyond unmaned missions. I think that by sending a lettle about are dreams of mars with credable names, like NASA workers, and common folk. It at the very least will show are dedication to are dreams, and help to bring together many people in different countrys that feel the same way.
What do you think about the idea? Is it a good one or not, please tell about plans that you have seen of recently,and should all people born on mars be called RED NECKS!

I love plants!

#2 2002-10-16 20:05:50

Phobos

I think NASA is half-way serious about sending people to Mars, but I'm not sure they'll do it before we're all fossils in a museum exhibit somewhere.  Like Josh (the other Josh smile ) mentioned, if NASA doesn't send someone to Mars maybe in a few decades a non-governmental organization could scrape together the resources for a mission if launch technologies like the s.e. become a reality (and I think such people would likely strive to establish a base on Mars rather than doing one time shots.)  I guess time will tell.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-10-28 11:20:12

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

NASA seems to be pulling their head out of their a$$.  They have released a plan for a massive effort toward permanent human settlement of the great beyond.  They have even created an office for a "space architect" who will help lay out a course for our expansion into space.  I just hope that they actually do something with this new plan.

NASA's Bold New Plan

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#4 2002-10-28 12:36:31

TJohn
Banned

There is a pdf file that can be found at http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/ma … _crew.html

It's located at the bottom of the page.  It's 237 pages long but it goes into detail about a Mars mission.  Some of it looks a little like Mars Direct

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

Board footer