New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-08-18 15:43:25

Bill White

Re: Moreon clark kent. . . - Superticket for President

From the Christian Science Monitor:

By then, [retired General Wesley] Clark may well have made a decision. And if nothing else, his band of 30-something draft organizers will have had some fun. They've even got the dream running mate in mind: Sen. Kent Conrad (D) of North Dakota. The bumper stickers would read, "Clark Kent: Superticket for America."

Wouldn't that be something. Maybe our "clark" could sell his NewMars screen name for big bucks and donate the money to a Mars mission. . .

#2 2003-08-18 16:29:40

clark

:laugh:  tongue

#3 2003-08-19 04:03:21

Josh Cryer

I read that ?moron clark can't? tongue

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#4 2003-09-11 12:44:02

clark

It would appear my 'namesake' is one step closer to running for 2004 President.

http://www.newsday.com/news....adlines

Clark Set to Enter 2004 Presidential Race
By RON FOURNIER
AP Political Writer

September 11, 2003, 2:05 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Retired Army Gen. Wesley Clark has told friends he is likely to become the 10th Democratic presidential candidate, a move that could shake up the crowded field just four months before the first ballots are cast.

Clark, 58, has not made a final decision, but the Arkansas resident has begun to recruit campaign staff and plans to announce his intentions next week, friends and party officials said on condition of anonymity.

Now, here is a ticket to consider, Clark for President, Hillary as VP.

I believe that might be the strongest ticket the democracts could put together...

#5 2003-09-18 06:27:30

clark

Hey, ho, what do ya know!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic … 6901c.html

Bill on Hil: It's a maybe

His hint she may run in '04 shocks Dems

Clinton loyalists were startled yesterday to hear former President Bill Clinton suggest that his wife hasn't made up her mind yet about running for the White House.
Asked in Monterey, Calif., on Tuesday about chatter that Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) might join the crowded Democratic field, the former President hinted that it remained an open question. "That's really a decision for her to make," he said, according to The Californian newspaper.

Clinton said his wife was being urged to run by supporters in spite of her commitment to serve out her six-year Senate term, the newspaper said.

The former President's statement tantalized Democrats who have heard the senator say repeatedly she will be on the presidential sidelines next year.

So, here is the situation, Clark's campaign staff is full of old Clinton cronies. Basically, the people that got Bill elected are in charge of Clark's campaign.

Hillary could run for President in her own right, but she has a better chance at 2008 when there is no incumbant Republican President. I think she is going on the 2004 ticket as VP with Clark, thereby insuring a Democratic win. If this ticket were to lose, Hillary can still run in 2008 (look at Liberman, Gore's VP pick)

Watch and wait.... big_smile

#6 2003-09-30 09:56:41

clark

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,60629,00.html

Clark Campaigns at Light Speed 

By Brian McWilliams
02:00 AM Sep. 30, 2003 PT

Clark's comment about time travel came at the end of a long answer to a question about his views of NASA and the U.S. space program. Clark said he supports the agency and believes "America needs a dream and a space program."

But Clark said the nation must prioritize its technological goals and take a pragmatic approach to focusing its scientific resources and talent.

"Some goals may take a lifetime to reach," he said. "We need to set those goals now. We need to re-dedicate ourselves to science, engineering and technology in this country."

Time travel excerpts not withstanding, I thought this might be interesting.

#7 2003-10-10 08:36:49

dickbill

I watched the democratic debate last might on CNN. Who's gonna be the candidate ? my bet is: Kerry, because
1) he's 3rd in the poll behind Clark and Dean,
2) He looks better than either of those 2 (specially Dean) and he's taller, that's a well known bias in choice, specially women.
3) At least he has a record even if is not as good as Gephardt or Dean in economic issues. Clark is even worst in economy than Kerry and after a question on Healthcare and jobs, Clark pitifully englued himself in the issue, answering general concepts rather than precisely responding, exactly like Scharwtzeneger would do. In the economy however, Dean or Gephardt definitively have a better background and could easily beat Kerry on that ground.
4) If he can stop repeating "when I was in Vietnam...." as a beginning of each sentence, he would definitively improve.

The polls say it's gonna be Dean or Clark...maybe we're all wrong because Gephardt is not far behind...what a suspense !

#8 2003-10-10 15:14:56

Palomar

2) He looks better than either of those 2 (specially Dean) and he's taller, that's a well known bias in choice, specially women.

*Really?  sad

I must be in the female minority on that count:  I really don't care what they look like (contrary to the opinions of seemingly a lot of women, I thought Bill Clinton was UNattractive even in the early 90s).  I just have my "bull-crap detector" on, when I listen to the candidates.

Trouble is, that little detector goes off a bit too often.  smile

I'm definitely NOT voting for Dubya (I didn't vote for him in 2000, either).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#9 2003-10-10 17:40:35

dickbill

*Really?  sad

I must be in the female minority on that count:  I really don't care what they look like (contrary to the opinions of seemingly a lot of women, I thought Bill Clinton was UNattractive even in the early 90s).  I just have my "bull-crap detector" on, when I listen to the candidates.

I think their is a real statistical biais for tall people in managment post. I have a book of statistics which take example of the choice for a dean (not Dean the candidate) in acadamic position and wonder if a tall dean has more chance to be choosen than a small one. No kidding.

Physical appearance is important for a presidential candidate and on that point, Dean, Howard, has some work to do. In that debate yesterday, by the way, you could notice that all the candidates had the same shirt. I think just the tie colors varied. Dean speaks too fast too, small details maybe, but in a fight against Bush, He would need to fix that.

Board footer