New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-10-10 23:36:34

Josh Cryer

Re: Christopher Reeve dead - ...RIP Superman...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ … TE=DEFAULT

NEW YORK (AP) -- The publicist for Christopher Reeve tells The Associated Press the actor has died.

---

I don't know what to say. This is a sad day. Christopher Reeve was my hero. He always made me feel better whenever I would see him give a speech or interview. He had courage beyond anything I can imagine. To not commit suicide in his state was a remarkable feat of strength.

Rest in peace Superman.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#2 2004-10-11 00:44:02

RobS
Banned
Website

How terribly sad! Here's the New York Times article.

-- RobS

Christopher Reeve, 'Superman' Star, Dies at 52
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 11, 2004

EDFORD, N.Y. - Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Va.

Enduring months of therapy to allow him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator, Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of "Rear Window," a modern update of the Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbor has been murdered. Reeve won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

"I was worried that only acting with my voice and my face, I might not be able to communicate effectively enough to tell the story," Reeve said. "But I was surprised to find that if I really concentrated, and just let the thoughts happen, that they would read on my face. With so many close-ups, I knew that my every thought would count."

In his public appearances, he was as handsome as ever, his blue eyes bright and his voice clear.

"Hollywood needs to do more," he said in the March 1996 Oscar awards appearance. "Let's continue to take risks. Let's tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can't meet."

In 2000, Reeve was able to move his index finger, and a specialized workout regimen made his legs and arms stronger. He also regained sensation in other parts of his body.

Reeve's support of stem cell research helped it emerge as a major campaign issue between President Bush and John Kerry. His name was even mentioned by Kerry earlier this month during the second presidential debate.

As for the strain of traveling to Hollywood, Reeve said: "I refuse to allow a disability to determine how I live my life. I don't mean to be reckless, but setting a goal that seems a bit daunting actually is very helpful toward recovery."

His athletic, 6-foot-4-inch frame and love of adventure made him a natural, if largely unknown, choice for the title role in the first "Superman" movie in 1978. He insisted on performing his own stunts.

Although he reprised the role three times, Reeve often worried about being typecast as an action hero.

"Look, I've flown, I've become evil, loved, stopped and turned the world backward, I've faced my peers, I've befriended children and small animals and I've rescued cats from trees," Reeve told the Los Angeles Times in 1983, just before the release of the third "Superman" movie. "What else is there left for Superman to do that hasn't been done?"

Though he owed his fame to it, Reeve made a concerted effort to, as he often put it, "escape the cape." He played an embittered, crippled Vietnam veteran in the 1980 Broadway play "Fifth of July," a lovestruck time-traveler in the 1980 movie "Somewhere in Time," and an aspiring playwright in the 1982 suspense thriller "Deathtrap."

"After the first `Superman,' I had the compulsion to do parts that were really weird," Reeve told The Associated Press in 1987. "That freaked people out. I've passed that."

More recent films included John Carpenter's "Village of the Damned," and the HBO movies "Above Suspicion" and "In the Gloaming," which he directed. Among his other film credits are "The Remains of the Day," "The Aviator," and "Morning Glory."

Yet Reeve always will be known to movie fans as the strapping, boyishly handsome stage veteran whose charm and humor brought a new dimension to the characters of Superman and his alter-ego, Clark Kent. The film co-starred Margot Kidder as Lois Lane.

Reeve said in public appearances promoting the "Superman" films, he tried to get children to better themselves.

"They should be looking for Superman's qualities -- courage, determination, modesty, humor -- in themselves rather than passively sitting back, gaping slack-jawed at this terrific guy in boots," Reeve said.

Reeve was born Sept. 25, 1952, in New York City, son of a novelist and a newspaper reporter. He in around 10 when he made his first stage appearance -- in Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Yeoman of the Guard" at McCarter Theater in Princeton, N.J.

He starred in virtually all of the theatrical productions at the exclusive Princeton Day School. By age 16, he had joined the actors' union.

After graduating from Cornell University in 1974, he landed a part as coldhearted bigamist Ben Harper on the television soap opera "Love of Life." He also performed frequently on stage, winning his first Broadway role as the grandson of a character played by Katharine Hepburn in "A Matter of Gravity."

Reeve's first movie role was a minor one in the submarine disaster movie "Gray Lady Down," released in 1978. "Superman" soon followed. Reeve was selected for the title role from among about 200 aspirants.

Active in many sports, Reeve owned several horses and competed in equestrian events regularly. Witnesses to the May 1995 accident said Reeve's horse had cleared two of 15 fences during the jumping event and stopped abruptly at the third, flinging the actor headlong to the ground.

Doctors said he fractured the top two vertebrae in his neck and damaged his spinal cord. When he finally was released from a rehabilitation institute in December 1995, he thanked staffed members "who have set the stage for my continued journey." He underwent further rehabilitation at his home in upstate New York.

While filming "Superman" in London, Reeve met modeling agency co-founder Gae Exton, and the two began a relationship that lasted several years. The couple had two sons, but were never wed.

Reeve later married Dana Morosini; they had one son, Will, 11. His wife became his frequent spokeswoman after the accident.

Reeve also is survived by his mother, Barbara Johnson; his father, Franklin Reeve; his brother, Benjamin Reeve; and his two children from his relationship with Exton, Matthew, 25, and Alexandra, 21.

No plans for a funeral were immediately announced.

A few months after the accident, he told interviewer Barbara Walters that he considered suicide in the first dark days after he was injured. But he quickly overcame such thoughts when he saw his children.

"I could see how much they needed me and wanted me ... and how lucky we all are and that my brain is on straight."

#3 2004-10-11 01:00:09

Josh Cryer

Thanks Rob, my initial post was short I know, didn't have the energy to wait for a longer report.

Man, just when you don't think you can feel any sadder about things.

Normally a celebrity death doesn't affect me that much. But Cristopher Reeve was someone to be admired. Not for his acting abilities, but for his will to continue on. Any time I saw in a commercial that he'd be having an interview or speech, I would take whatever time I had to stop and watch or at least record it. I have never done this for anyone else.

You will be forever missed Chris.  sad

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#4 2004-10-11 01:18:51

Yang Liwei Rocket

Starttext from Clipboard Row 0 in Step: 36
He will be sadly missed, may he rest in peace

I recall him being a bit anti-Bush in his past few talks

GW
he had some right-wing ideas on stopping stem cell research, Chris Reeeve was trying to raise money for medical research for SCI and other nerve tissue related injuries and diseases.  He lobbies the government for SCI research funding and funding for for stem cell research. The actor, who found film fame as "Superman," told Britain's Guardian newspaper the Bush Administration had caved in on the issue of embryonic stem cell research .
Reeve, paralyzed seven years ago when he was thrown from his horse, said he was "angry, and disappointed," that Bush had hampered developments in stem cell research which might have led to human trials aimed at rebuilding the nervous systems of quadriplegics.

"I think we could have been much further along with scientific research than we actually are," he said.

"There are religious groups -- the Jehovah's Witness, I believe -- who think it's a sin to have a blood transfusion. Well, what if the president for some reason decided to listen to them, instead of to the Pope, which is the group he really listens to in making his decisions about embryonic stem cell research ? Reeve was  saying.

From what I have read about him, Christopher Reeve was politically active in high school, protesting the Vietnam War then went to Cornell and became involved in environmental issues as well. As an adult, he has championed First Amendment issues and funding for the arts, and is active in Amnesty International, Save the Children, The National Resources Defense Council, The Lindbergh Foundation and others

Embryonic stem cell researchers hope these microscopic blobs might be coaxed to grow into healthy aortas for people with heart disease, and into pristine spinal chords for the actor Christopher Reeves, whose backbone was shattered in accident, leaving him paralyzed.
The president had rejected the views of a large majority in the Senate, his health senator (Bill Frist of Tennessee), Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson, former First Lady Nancy Reagan and actor Christopher Reeves. They all favored limited research on cells
Now how will George Bush answer the next star people and others who are in danger or need help like Mary Tyler Moore, or Michael J. Fox
On his deathbed,  former President Ronald Reagan, a victim of Alzheimer’s disease, makes the strongest possible case for why government should not interfere with stem cell research.

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#5 2004-10-11 05:55:58

Josh Cryer

Superman by Five for Fighting

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
I'm just out to find
The better part of me

I'm more than a bird...I'm more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It's not easy to be me

Wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I'll never see

It may sound absurd...but don't be naive
Even Heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won't you concede
Even Heroes have the right to dream
It's not easy to be me

Up, up and away...away from me
It's all right...You can all sleep sound tonight
I'm not crazy...or anything...

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
Men weren't meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I'm only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me

It's not easy to be me.

---

Good song. If anyone wants it (and can recieve largish attachments) I can send it to ya. Made me feel a little better. Heh, I think this is the first celebrity death that has actually affected me. Well, him and Phil Hartman.

These people are dying too young.

--------

#6 2004-10-11 07:49:50

Palomar

*Just saw this on "Good Morning America"; husband has been watching it this a.m., while I slept in.  I stepped into the living room, he asked me if Christopher Reeve had died.  Reeve was on the screen, talking with Diane Sawyer; I figured just an interview, until I saw the year of birth and "2004" at the bottom, in yellow.  sad

Sorry to know it.  I was really hoping to see him walk again some day, as he vowed he would do. 

Anyone remember the 1996 Oscars ceremony?  He came out in his wheelchair, the entire audience rose and applauded loudly, cheers and whistles.  He made a joke about having been notified of appearing there, and how long it took him to drive his wheelchair from the East Coast to Hollywood.  :laugh:

He really was an inspiration. 

Rest in peace. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-10-11 08:23:44

Shaun Barrett

That man was just so determined to walk again. I suppose only death could have stopped him.
    They die young, whom the gods love best.    sad

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#8 2004-10-11 13:12:29

Stu
Website

Christopher Reeve has - won't say had - a huge number of fans here in the UK too, and many of us, not just Superman fans, are saddened by his loss. I don't think any of us will ever hear that rousing theme tune again without thinking of him.

Three images of him spring to my mind writing this. First, the scene played over and over on the TV news today, showing him smiling wryly after catching Margot Kidder / Lois Lane as she fell from the top of that skyscraper, just after she says "You've got me? Who's got YOU?!"... classic!  smile

Secondly, his recent guest appearance in SMALLVILLE where he played a scientist who had sussed-out young Clark's secret identity. Unable to do anything more than use his eyes to express his emotions, he stole not only the scene but the entire show. He was a fine, under-rated actor, for sure.

Lastly, I remember seeing him at a film awards ceremony or dinner of some kind, accompanying his wife. She was dressed in a v glamourous evening gown, sequins sparkling in the spotlights and the flash of the press photographers cameras, and he was in a tux, looking as dapper as he ever had done, rolling along in his wheelchair beside his wife. Both of them were positively glowing with pride and love for each other. And I thought at the time how brave and incredible he was... and wondered if I'd have the same strength of character to be anything like him in such circumstances.

Today, watching the TV news, seeing him campaigning for more stem cell research in the hope of helping people who shared his condition, I was struck by a contrast, and while it might be a little off-topic here I'm sorry, I just have to say it to get it out of my system... I was struck by the contrast between Chris Reeve, and those butchers in Baghdad. On one hand you have a man who had every right to spit in the eye of the world and the rest of his species because of the injustice of what had happened to him; to shout out his hatred and rage at the sky... yet he dedicated his life to trying to help others, to prezserve and enrich their lives, to grab his own destiny back from the brink of the abyss and refuse to accept the cruel fate that the Universe had thrown at him. The stubborn guy absolutely refused, with every breath in his body, to be a thing of pity and sadness. He cherished life, and - after understandable initial weariness with it - devoted himself to Living.

On the other hand, there are those... animals in Baghdad, who view life as cheap, less than worthless, something that they seem to believe they have a right to have control over, to take away from others. People - and I use the term loosely - who can kill innocent men and women without remorse, without even a flicker of guilt, in the name of a cause which is drenched in more blood and death than an abbatoir floor.

Again, tonight, I wonder if aliens are monitoring us from stealth-concealed ships, watching our TV channels, browsing these very message boards, and scratching their heads in absolute bafflement that such a beautiful, verdant, world could have spawned a race of creatures so bizarre, so full of contrasts. How can the same planet be the Home Planet to a race capable of such nobility and evil at the same time?

I don't know, I honestly don't. All I know is that Chris Reeve represented the very best of us, and the world has been robbed of a genuine star, and a thoroughly decent guy.

He really *was* Superman. He just didn't know it.

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#9 2004-10-11 13:15:14

clark

You know, he fell off a horse.

#10 2004-10-11 13:16:22

~Eternal~

*Just saw this on "Good Morning America"; husband has been watching it this a.m., while I slept in.  I stepped into the living room, he asked me if Christopher Reeve had died.  Reeve was on the screen, talking with Diane Sawyer; I figured just an interview, until I saw the year of birth and "2004" at the bottom, in yellow.  sad

Sorry to know it.  I was really hoping to see him walk again some day, as he vowed he would do. 

Anyone remember the 1996 Oscars ceremony?  He came out in his wheelchair, the entire audience rose and applauded loudly, cheers and whistles.  He made a joke about having been notified of appearing there, and how long it took him to drive his wheelchair from the East Coast to Hollywood.  :laugh:

He really was an inspiration. 

Rest in peace. 

--Cindy

Remember, even though he never got to walk again, someday people will walk again thanks to him, and that is an encouraging thought smile

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#11 2004-10-11 13:51:50

Stu
Website

You know, he fell off a horse.

Well, the contract for the job required him to fly faster than a speeding bullet and leap tall buildings with a single bound. Said nothing about staying on horses.

Still a heck of a guy  smile

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#12 2004-10-11 14:05:37

Josh Cryer

I believe clark was referring to the "injustice." But clark is an ass. So be nice clark. This is a sad time for a lot of us. Don't make me put some archeangel whoopass on you. :;):

The reason Christopher Reeve was Superman was how he could go from Clark to Superman, in an instant, and it be believable. Recall the incident where he takes off his glasses and is about to reveal all to Lois, in that moment he goes from being this awkward geeky guy to being Superman! Once he realizes what he's about to do, he goes almost instantly back to being Clark. This transition from Clark to Superman to Clark again is very believable to me.

But in the end, what made him a great guy is his will power to live, to fight. Of course, he did have benefits, and he said so himself. He noted that anyone else in his condition would've most likely died (because of the vast expenses necessary to keep a person in his state a live- his injury was the worst possible injury you could get).

Another thing that struck me about him, and this may sound weird to the more spiritual here, but he said in intreviews that he was essentially an atheist and that he didn't believe in an afterlife. That he wished there was one, but that he didn't believe there was one. Often times people who have such injuries "seek god" but Christopher Reeve seeked science. His hope and faith was in science.

If only the science kept him from having those sores which eventually lead to infection and death. I believe since he had to stop his exercise regimen, it was overlooked, or at least, not totally anticipated. Stopping a habitual exercise regimen for some 9 years is going to end up with mistakes happening.

--------

#13 2004-10-11 14:07:35

clark

Not to disparage the man in any way, but he had a vested interest in seeing this research bare fruit. It wasn't like he took up this crusade while he was walking in the limelight. I just don't understand why you might make the comparisons that you alluded too. The world didn't do anything to him, and as far as I can see, he became an object to personify our pity.

I also find it slightly paradoxial the way you chose to compare Mr. Reeve, considering that some on the other side of the debate find the use of stem cells, and by proxy, the harvesting of unborn fetuses as taking the life of those most defenseless and those who have no control.

Just something to consider.

#14 2004-10-11 14:16:22

Josh Cryer

Yes, and Michael J. Fox is trying to help sponser Parkinsons disease research. I frankly think it's much more sincere when one is afflicted with something and takes it upon themselves, in their position of wealth or celebrity, to make things happen. It's a heck of a lot more sincere than celebrities trying to push off their little pet projects (geniune though they may be) on everyone. Because you are living your life through the very thing which you are sponsering, you aren't living a cushy life never knowing what it's really like.

Stu is right, though. Reeve didn't have to sponser this research. Given that he had the worst case imaginable, it is remarkable that he didn't just kill himself. I find it hard to believe that you can't understand that clark. You couldn't really make a determination without actually being in his shoes.

edit: and I take offense at the highly ignorant phrasing "unborn fetuses" as stem cell research does not use "unborn fetuses," this is just reactionary dogma used by the masses to charge the subject and avoid rational debate.

Edited By Josh Cryer on 1097525967

--------

#15 2004-10-11 14:29:46

clark

You won't see what you won't allow yourself to see.

I was saddened about his death for no other reason than a vain hope to see him one day walk again. To see that, and know what it meant- not for him personally, but that we could make something like that happen. It simply was, and is, a challenge worthy to meet.

Personally, and this is me, I think it a disservice to make some of the comparisons that have been made to him. He wasn't a god, he wasn't Superman, he was simply a man. Full of the same foibles and frailty we all are filled with. He wanted to walk again. We want to walk on a red planet. Don't you see that this is where our paths combine? We all want the impossible because we believe it will make the world better, however fractionaly small, better.

Now, we live in the day after where we can never give this man the chance to walk again. That opportunity is lost, but the opportunity to heal those with the same disability still exsists. I think we lose sight of that when we put the icon on a pedestal. We lose sight when we make grand sweeping comparisons of contrasts. We just see this swath of black and white ideals.

Christopher Reeve was as brave as anyone who chooses to live each and every day they can.

here, a message of hope from him:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/~rd13/hd/re … reeve.html

#16 2004-10-11 19:16:05

Mad Grad Student
Website

He truy was an amazing person. I don't think I can really add anything to what's already been said except that it really is sad to see him put so much effort and determination into simply being able to walk again, and then die because of a bedsore. The best tribute that can be made to Reeve would be if the torch is picked up and the idiotic limitations on stem cell research are lifted. That's what he would have wanted, and what the world needs.

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#17 2004-10-12 05:29:05

Shaun Barrett

Clark:-

You won't see what you won't allow yourself to see.

Until you found this thread, Clark, there was no hint of anything obscure which we weren't allowing ourselves to see; no hint of the kind of simple and profound truth you see so clearly and the rest of us don't.
    This man's death caused a lot of people to mourn, Clark. It's as simple as that. Mourning is a spontaneous feeling of loss and it affects people who lose someone to whom they are in some way attached. The fact that so many of us here have seen fit to express our common feeling that the world is a little bit poorer for the loss of Christopher Reeve is enough to show that he had something special. If half of one percent of the number of people who mourn his loss were even to notice (never mind mourn) my own passing, I'd think they were confusing me with someone else!

Don't worry, Christopher Reeve's death will soon be old news. Give us this brief moment to grieve for someone we'll miss.
                                                  roll

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#18 2004-10-12 05:34:14

Cobra Commander

I'm noticing alot of emotional rhetoric regarding stem cells lately, here and elsewhere, maybe it's time for some clarification.

I'm all for more research, being a "rush into the unknown" sort anyway. Angels fear to tread and all that, some might say...  :hm: But here's the deal. Bush did limit the sources for stem cells. But he also approved funding for research using those already available. Is the glass half full or half empty?

Second, we don't know that they'll help us cure anything. Maybe they will, or maybe it'll be a complete waste of resources. Too much rhetoric around the issue builds up hope in people that may not be justified. Let's treat this as a potential breakthrough, rather the a guaranteed quick-fix if only the evil Dubya would relent.

And of course there are all sorts of issues regarding the harvesting of the cells in the first place. Let's follow the research to its conclusion, aware of the precedents we're setting, and don't start promising to heal the masses just yet.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#19 2004-10-12 06:05:47

REB
Banned
Website

Cobra, you hit the nail on the head on that one. Everyone talks about stem cells like it will cure everything. We don’t know.

I am all for research, but I do not want to see the human embryo become a money making resource and being killed and harvested like some cash crop. There are other sources for stem cells beside embryo’s. I believe a human embryo has as much right to live as any other person. Is it ethic to kill an unborn person to help research that may save a human life?

Being adopted, I feel connected to the unwanted, unborn of this country. I was once in their situation and came out of it alive.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#20 2004-10-12 06:09:05

clark

Hakiu, for Christopher Reeve.

Flying Man of Steel,
Condemned to an earthly wheel,
Soars with spirit free.

Perhaps it might be a fitting tribute to the man if perhaps we saved our comments for him, and not for comparisons of human trash or politcal uncertainties. Just a thought, do as you like.

#21 2004-10-12 06:50:35

REB
Banned
Website

Clark, when I heard that Reeves had died, I felt saddened. I remembered the first time I saw him in a movie. I was around 13 and it was the movie Superman. I always saw him as Superman.

Then I started thinking there are those who will use his death to push their political agenda, and I was saddened again.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#22 2004-10-12 06:53:53

clark

Ever see him in 'Noises Off'? Absolutely hilarious.

The funny thing is that he will be remembered as Superman, the actor, but he billed himself as a thespian first and foremost.

I have yet to see him in the Hitchock remake he did, that should be interesting.  smile

#23 2004-12-24 11:39:49

Palomar

*Just in time for the holidays:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … ve_1]Chris and Dana's heroism continues  :up:

"I'm free, I'm free," Howard said. "I can go where I want."

Wonderful. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#24 2004-12-27 04:38:13

Yang Liwei Rocket

Clark, when I heard that Reeves had died, I felt saddened. I remembered the first time I saw him in a movie. I was around 13 and it was the movie Superman. I always saw him as Superman.

Then I started thinking there are those who will use his death to push their political agenda, and I was saddened again.

That's rubbish

Reeves was a great movie star and a fantastic actor, but he didn't need hippies or whatever you call them to push his thoughts out there. He already was an activist, voiced his thoughts over many issues when he was youger such as health care, vietnam...he later became a spokes person for the rational and smart use of stem-cell researching methods for science, so was former 1st Lady - Nancy Reagan who also spoke against the current administrations policy yet the conservative whitehouse admin did little on this issue for the past years and then Reagan went to lie on his deathbed. These were two people who have done much in their life, may they rest in peace and be remembered for what they did and their talents

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

Board footer