New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-23 10:34:11

Palomar

Re: (Methane) Peril of "Tooting" Sheep - ...and Cows  :D

plot 0033

http://www.spacedaily.com/2004/04092216 … ml]Methane: Belching and "tooting" farm animals

:laugh: 

Was tempted to post this in a Mars-related discussion of methane...who knows, maybe some day there will be sheep and cows on Mars.

For now though...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-09-23 10:46:16

Cobra Commander

Emissions standards for livestock!  :laugh:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-09-23 10:49:49

BWhite

Emissions standards for livestock!  :laugh:

Hmmm. . .

Can you fill a soapbox with methane? tongue

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#4 2004-09-23 12:36:32

C M Edwards

Vaccination against methane producing colon bacteria?  Bad idea!  They may need those bacteria!

I once took enough of an antibiotic overdose for it to have a similar effect on me.  I'd always known, intellectually, that diarrhea could kill me, but I never felt it in my heart until that following week.

I feel for those poor cows.  Truly.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#5 2004-09-23 12:44:36

Cobra Commander

Vaccination against methane producing colon bacteria?  Bad idea!  They may need those bacteria!

It is a bit excessive.

Particularly given that the problem it's meant to fight is dependent on numerous other factors we can't do a damn thing about.

Now the byproducts of animal life are destroying the environment, I can't help but get a laugh from the whole thing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#6 2004-09-23 13:43:46

Palomar

I once took enough of an antibiotic overdose for it to have a similar effect on me.  I'd always known, intellectually, that diarrhea could kill me, but I never felt it in my heart until that following week.

I feel for those poor cows.  Truly.

*Perhaps I should hasten to explain my laughter came from the title of the article and the thought of sheep and cows belching and farting.  :laugh:  It's been a heckuva long time since I've thought of livestock in much regard (other than as part of a meal).  And the fact that's the -last- title I'd expect to see at that particular web site.

Wouldn't want the critters to suffer in any way. 

They're responsible for 1/5 of methane emissions??  Holy cow!  Erm...whoops.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-09-23 15:43:37

Earthfirst

Forget about animal methane production what about people gas?
There like 7 billion people on da earth, all them farting alot , mostly in erd world because they eat beens and rice.
If eah person on earth produces 1 kilogram of methane a year that means people make 7 billion kg of CH3 a year. Much more than cows or sheep do! To save mother earth stop eating beans, the more you eat the more you fart!
As I have alwise thought vegitreans are causing goble warming due to their poor diet of tufood and beans, if they would eat meat they could save the earth but they are too stuck up to do that! :laugh:
In the ocean there are vast areas of methane hydrate ices, if the deep sea warm just a little vast amounts of CH3 would esacpe and cause great warming ina matter of years in the order of 10c goble raise. In the past a large release of methane from the sea help break the back of the last ice age.
Sea lavel went up 300ft. If it happens again and the antartic ice cap, and the artic sea and greenland ice melt too. A sea level raise of 500 to 1000ft are in order. Which is a good then such a raise would flood the midwest expanding the gulf of mexico, and make a wetter west. Also drowned all thoughs people in india, china, new york, and boston. Which is good because they eat way too much beans.

I love plants!

#8 2004-09-23 17:44:40

C M Edwards

Sheep and other herbivores are carbon dioxide neutral.  The only carbon in their bodies is what was previously taken up by plants they ate.  Thus, in order to sustain herbivores, that same carbon dioxide "emitted" by the sheep must be re-taken up by plants later to keep feeding sheep, not remaining in the atmosphere.  If not, sheep would be starved out long before their flatulence became a problem.

If the methane they release is similarly metabolized by plants and the bacteria that sustain them, sheep may be methane neutral as well.  This whole issue could be one big fart.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer