New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-10-18 10:03:56

Palomar

Re: If a satellite crashes onto YOUR home...

*Or rather a -section-...

Haven't seen this posted yet here at New Mars.  Well, Huo Jiyu definitely seems one of those "the glass is half FULL" types of optimistic persons.  smile  Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Returning Chinese Scientific Satellite Crushes Apartment

BEIJING (AP) -- A section of a Chinese scientific satellite that was returning from orbit crashed into an apartment building, wrecking the top floor but causing no injuries, a newspaper said Sunday.

The capsule crashed into the four-story building Friday in Penglai, a village in the southwestern province of Sichuan, the Tianfu Morning News said. It said a woman who lived there had left five minutes earlier.

The incident was a minor embarrassment for a Chinese space program that sent its first astronaut into orbit last October and has launched 20 recoverable scientific satellites.

A photo in the Tianfu Morning News showed the kettle-shaped capsule, which appeared to be about two meters (six feet) long, lying amid broken bricks, beams and roof tiles.

Another photo showed the capsule being lifted off the building as spectators crowded onto surrounding rooftops.

"The satellite landed in our home. Maybe this means we'll have good luck this year," the tenant of the wrecked apartment, Huo Jiyu, was quoted as saying.

The capsule was part of a satellite that spent 18 days in orbit, the newspaper said.

The rest of the satellite will remain in orbit, the government's Xinhua News Agency said.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-10-18 18:16:07

Commodore

Crap. I don't think my home owners insurance covers space junk.  big_smile

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#3 2004-10-23 07:59:30

trentsta
Banned

cable tv beats Satellite !
Boom Boom!

#4 2004-10-23 08:00:19

trentsta
Banned

cable tv beats Satellite !
Boom Boom!
whoops, i double clicked!

#5 2004-10-23 09:54:30

~Eternal~

Crap. I don't think my home owners insurance covers space junk.  big_smile

I think the People's Insurance of Home Destroying Space Objects covers it though.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

Board footer