New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2024-08-10 15:16:58

GW Johnson
Website

Re: DIY pallet home building

Be careful trying to re-use pallet lumber.  Some is "ordinary" lumber,  some is not.  Quite a few pallets are made of Bois d'Arc wood (also known as "ironwood"),  which is so dense (and hard) that it sinks in water.  It also routinely breaks drill bits and saw blades.  There's just not a lot you can do with it,  unless you are tooled-up to deal with harsh properties like that. 

Pallets made of Bois d'Arc last a whole lot longer than the rest,  out in the weather.  And they take bigger load forces than any other sort of lumber in pallets.  But eventually,  they rot,  too.

Been there and done that.  Since I was a teenager,  now very long ago,  indeed.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2024-08-10 15:19:36)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#27 2024-08-10 16:35:33

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re pallet identification...

It is helpful to have this additional information available, as SpaceNut bravely ventures into this new arena.

I'm wondering if the kind of stout wood you encountered is still used to make pallets.  I've only seen a tiny fraction of pallets that are in daily use in the global industry today, so am wondering how SpaceNut might be able to differentiate one kind of wood from another.  It seems to me reasonable  to suppose the wood used to make pallets is what is left after all other industries have rejected it for building.  A really strong wood such as you describe seems to me to be desirable for furniture or other high value products.

In any case, the ability to be able to identify wood types and quality would seem (to me at least) to be highly desirable for the kind of project SpaceNut is considering.

(th)

#28 2024-08-11 14:26:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

#29 2024-08-12 08:19:46

GW Johnson
Website

Construction began this morning on our solar PV installation.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#30 2024-08-12 08:46:13

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... please consider making periodic reports on your progress.  You are the only NewMars member who is actually working on this particular technology, so you are the best placed to provide up to the minute reports and images as you go along.

(th)

#31 2024-08-16 16:11:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have collected 2 more loads of materials from the moped motor scooter shop. Have started to count what I have of rough cut 2x4 and other such to see how many more loads I will need before taking them apart for use.

#32 2024-08-20 17:55:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

The other night I collected a load of building materials in construction dumpster of large section of 1/2" OSB that had been cut out for windows and doors from the building that is in process. Got similar pieces of flooring subfloor as well in a variety of shapes large enough to piece together once starting to build.

Tonight, I picked up another load of the scooter stores material that have already been reported on for shape and type contained.

#33 Today 11:00:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

Got another near car full load of the pallet materials Friday and spent the Saturday morning sorting these to identify all of the materials that I have obtained for build. Counting the quantities of 2x4 that are in each pallet count as well as other wood shapes that are also present for use to see if I have enough to begin taking apart in order to build the shed that I am in need of. It appears that I am close for the wall and roof but still need more for the floor to be built.

#34 Today 11:12:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #33

Thanks for the update on your progress. 

Your stock of incoming materials will include a lot of 4x4 inch locks that are used to separate the floor from the ceiling of each pallet.

Those blocks represent potential load bearing columns for a larger building, such as a garage or shop.

If you save the blocks you can make a column out of them.  The regular slats used for the floor and top surface of each pallet can be nailed or screwed to the blocks, so they will be held in place.  When they are set vertically, the load of the roof will compress them, and with the side boards to hold them in place, they should provide the same service as full length 4x4 beams.

Related question... Are you planning a flat roof which might be sloped to flow water off, or perhaps a normal peaked roof, with two slanted sides?

In any case, I assume you're thinking about a roof covering of some kind. 

(th)

#35 Today 11:54:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Currently I am planning to have a sloped roof but still looking at what I have. I am still short of the materials to complete the shell at this time but perhaps I am at 80% of what is needed. So, a couple more loads might get me to what is needed. Still need to go back to the construction dumpster to see what more I can retrieve from it to finish it up.

Board footer