New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-07-18 16:14:06

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Re: Who are you fellas, anyways? - Introduce yourselves to the world  :)

I would be interested to hear who you guys are.  It seems half of you are students of some kind, and the other half retired or active personall from NASA/Miltary/aerospace.

I would love to get to know a little more about you fellas.  You don't have to respond but I am curroius b/c you guys seem like a pretty smart batch of cookies.

If you want to respond, at least tell the following. . .

1.  Your name (and gender if applicable, with names like 'pat' or 'sam')

2.  Your age (if female, can lie as much as like)

3.  rough area of the world you inhabit.

4.how you make a living, and if you are retired, etc

5.  education to date

6.  any other personal info you would love to share with us!

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#2 2003-07-18 16:18:54

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Given that I made this board, I might as well reply first.

My name is Nathan Weitzman.

I am an eighteen year old male from Cleveland, ohio.  My business is to prepare for my senoir year of HS.  My education (my spelling attests to this) is the junior year of HS thus far. . .

I am the heavyweight captian of the wrestling team and I like to exersize in the off season.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#3 2003-07-19 20:49:39

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

Judson
20 years old
Daytona Beach, FL (School)/Cheyenne, WY (Home)

I live off summer jobs and my AFROTC scholarship. Thank you taxpayers!
big_smile

I am a fourth year Aerospace Engineering (Astronautics) student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I graduate/commission in Dec. 2004 (and I can't wait!).

If anyone here is in Developmental Engineering in the military (especially AF), I'd like to hear from you about what the job is like.

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#4 2003-07-19 21:03:33

sethmckiness
Banned

Seth McKiness(who would have thought)

24 years old

Pyoungtek/Osan Area, Republic of Korea(Originally from Iowa)

I am a Senior Airman in the Air Force.

I have been trained as a Journeyman-Level Satellite, Wideband, Telemetry(and Instrumentation), and Space Systems Maintenance and Operation.  (there was some career field combination about 3.5 years ago.

I also went to college for 2.5 years as a Geology major.

I am going back to college in the Fall of 2004, but I am unsure what I will major in.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#5 2003-07-21 18:03:42

Algol

Nick Ramsay - 21 - UK

3rd year of a 4yr Masters course in Aerospace Materials.

Currently support myself though research scholarships(im in USA at the moment conducting research on ferroelectrics), and through my training with the RAF (Royal Air Force) as a pilot. Im not fully commited to them, but they pay me and teach me to fly, am also on the lookout for a possible PhD.

Havent chosen a career path yet - it was originally astronaut, which is why i speak languages and am learning to fly and scuba dive etc, but im currently eyeing up other options.

#6 2003-07-22 16:42:23

dicktice

Thanks for asking. I'm just an old guy, with no time to waste on silly buggers who're counting on getting into Space "50 years from now." The Spacelab, and Mir, and a lot of expensively launched gear and material have been squandered, through lack of support by the Earth-bound power players ... leaving us nearly 40 years behind where we should be in Space. I've gained a lot of insight via these forums, and I apologize for my impatience with pie-in-the-sky schemes. We've got the basics now, but shouldn't expect the World to be interested in what is, for the present, a great adventure--for the few who are ready and/or able to support spacetravel..

#7 2003-07-23 11:41:15

Ian
Banned

"The Spacelab, and Mir, and a lot of expensively launched gear and material have been squandered, through lack of support by the Earth-bound power players ... leaving us nearly 40 years behind where we should be in Space. "

The "power players" are mostly funding military stuff with big budgets and are funding human space exploration with less budgets. The more they keep funding in the military, the less they will fund in pure research and human space exploation.

Visited by Moderator 2022/01/28

Board footer