New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2024-03-02 16:18:01

Void

Cosmic Dust

I have started to run into materials for this topic.  Delete this if you like.

Quote:

Was Cosmic Dust Responsible for Life on Earth?
YouTube
Fraser Cain
1.8K views
3 hours ago

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … &FORM=VIRE

In the video, at one point the speaker indicates that cosmic and other dust collects in certain places in glaciers, and forms partly melted dark spots.  These then have radioactive materials in them as well.  But likely it is sunlight that does the bulk of the melting. 

I could say that this supports this article:  https://phys.org/news/2023-02-radioacti … rnova.html  Quote:

FEBRUARY 20, 2023

Editors' notes
Radioactive isotopes reach Earth by surfing supernova blast waves, scientists discover
by University of Hertfordshire

My interest here in part, is that Eris and MakeMake having oceans, may in part be due to a process that delivers such radioactive isotopes, to them.  I am speculating that the boundary between the solar wind and the galactic wind may be a concentrating point for some types of such dust.

If so, then dwarf planets may be more useful than previous beliefs would have.

I also speculate that they have reduced radiance of heat to the universe if condensed gasses emitted, will form a fluffy insulating snow.

Anyway, one hope for traveling to stars could be to island hop from one dwarf planet to another, presuming that they may exist very far out in the Kuiper Belt and perhaps even the Oort Cloud.

Recent publications suggest the Kuiper belt may be larger than was thought: https://www.universetoday.com/165885/th … llion%20km.

A curious question is how much cosmic dust would a rogue planet get?  Would it have enhanced radioactive heating?
A rogue planet may not have a solar wind pushing dust away from it.  I still don't know how Cosmic Dust gets though our solar wind to fall to the Earth.

A rogue planet also could be an island to hop to a star from.

Done

I think that oceans in part powered from radioactive decay may have free Oxygen, for the same reason that our atmosphere has free Oxygen.  If a process splits molecules, then in order for a life form to use it it has to discard some of the Oxygen, otherwise it's body would have to be Oxidized to ashes.  The organism would hold onto more Hydrogen and Carbon, and less so hold on to Oxygen.  This presumes a world with life of course.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-03-02 16:46:34)

Done.

#2 2024-03-02 18:14:30

tahanson43206

Re: Cosmic Dust

This post is reserved for an index to posts NewMars members may contribute over time.

Cosmic and Dust are uniquely together in this topic.

Best wishes for success with this topic.

(th)

#3 2024-03-03 02:54:00

Mars_B4_Moon

A unique area of study that overalps Extra Galactic Cosmology , Cosmochemistry, Planet Solar science and Astrobiology. Hubble has seen many events from exploding stars to clouds the size of stars formed by massive asteroids or proto planets colliding, drifting clouds of dust could move on such scales they could change the composition of planet atmospheres or even stars...could they not only seed life but also explain why we do not have contact and lead to extinction events by changing the air on Exoplanets, truly alien dust might have elemental, molecular, and mineralogical composition we have yet tosee. Impacts can exchange rocks, minerals and dust from Asteroids, Moon and Planets,  interplanetary dust causes the zodiacal light. Solar System dust includes comet dust, planetary dust like on the Moon and Mars could be a health issue for colonists. If a Moon gets too close to a planet it can be ripped apart, into stony, sandy, dust particles,  inside the Roche limit a Moon or Captured Asteroid or Watery Moon torn apart and Rings and may be the debris of a demolished moon then becoming diffuse planetary rings, they say Mars seems to have evidence for a Ring in the Past and once again can 'One in the Future'. The Universe seems to have Galaxy clustering together and then missing areas, through scientific theory and observation they recorded huge 'Enormous Voids' of missing matter and dust gathering around mass, there is the Dark Rift a dark band caused by interstellar clouds of cosmic dust that significantly obscure or visually extinguish the center of Spiral Galaxies, Lenticular Galaxy, Barred Spiral for example sectors of Andromeda, the Milky Way galaxy from Earth's perspective.

#4 2024-03-03 12:44:31

Void

This video from Isaac Arthur does include some thinking about the effects of cosmic dust on Primordial Planets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IsaacArthur/co … l_planets/

Obviously, it is thought that the amount of dust from "Metals" has been increasing over billions of years.
And with variability across distances and events in time, how a world develops apparently can be very different for each case, I think.

Done

I am curious about any possible continuing accumulations of materials into our solar system.  Does dust accumulate in toe bow shock of the Heliosphere?  How does our solar system shed mass?  Does it eject worlds to become rogue in nature?  Are comets continuing to form at the Heliopause?

I would like to know about things like that.

Done

So, do gasses shed from planets like Venus and Mars, condense onto comets in the Kuiper belt and the Oort Cloud.  Can interstellar materials also accumulate to some comets and dwarf planets that are near or beyond the Heliopause?

If so then the solar system is like a cloud cycle where comets dislodged to pass into the inner solar system are like rain drops in a way from a thunderstorm, or snowflakes if you prefer.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-03-03 12:52:34)

Done.

Board footer