New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-11-29 12:24:49

tahanson43206

Biopod

The concept for which this topic is named appears to incorporate many of the ideas discussed at length in the forum.

I decided it deserves it's own topic because it seems likely (to me at least) to receive support over time.

(th)

#2 2023-11-29 12:24:56

tahanson43206

Re: Biopod

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biopod-could … 38446.html

Reuters Videos
This 'biopod' could be used on Earth and in space

Reuters Videos
Tue, November 28, 2023 at 7:08 PM EST

STORY: Imagine a way to grow fresh produce anywhere in the world... no matter the season or the weather.

Biotech company Interstellar Lab says it's possible.

They say their controlled-environment capsule would not only make agriculture more sustainable...

but it could also open the door for crops to one day be grown in space.

This is the BioPod.

It was inspired by space technologies to offer a totally sealed production system.

That means it can grow plants much more efficiently than a traditional greenhouse.

Barbara Belvisi founded the company in 2018.

"Biopod is like a super advanced greenhouse that will collect CO2 from the atmosphere, recycle the water, fully optimize the conditions. So not only will we accelerate plant growth, but more specifically will trigger the production of specific molecules inside the plant. When you do that, you use less resources. You have less impact to CO2, impact on, you know, buying flowers from another country, bringing you to another country to make the extraction. So it's trying to give a tool for farmers to re-localize production, and by this very large trend of climate that we can do, then allowing them to grow plants they usually cannot grow."

The BioPod is about 16 feet tall with a surface area of almost 600 square feet.

A combination of technologies ensures a balance of climate, nutrition, and light conditions.

It also uses AI-based management and monitoring software.

BioPod's unique ellipsoid shape helps with airflow, heating and cooling... and also makes it rapidly deployable.

It requires no foundation or access to water.

Belvisi says the company is working with NASA to design a cube for use in space and another version for the Moon.

"Over time, food will degrade in space, NASA was looking for a solution to grow mushroom insects, vegetables, some microgreens, and that's what we've been designing. So we're really focusing on recreating the climate so we can cover some of the gaps of the astronauts in space."

Keeping astronauts well-nourished for extended periods has long posed a challenge for NASA.

The need for self-contained, low-waste food production requiring minimal resources has become more important as the space agency sets its sights on the Moon and beyond.

"I don't believe in plan B. There is only one plan which is plan A, which is the Earth. We learn how to preserve life on Earth and then this technology can help preserve it here and then bring it to space. But space is not an escape of the Earth. Mars is not a very habitable planet. So we're going to go there to explore but the plan A is our planet."

Belvisi is heading to Dubai for this year's U.N. climate conference to drum up interest in the project and seek investors.

The firm plans to sell each unit for $350,000 once it's commercialized.

View comments (1)

(th)

#3 2023-11-29 21:02:14

Void

Nice article (th).  I am looking to be less of a speculator and more of an observer.  You have given entertainment.

The question of competitiveness comes up for Earth, but to go into space, I think there is not much for alternative methods, I guess maybe some way to funnel some light from the sun it might be a speculative modification, but I like the machine as is.  Apparently, NASA does as well.

It seems to be mostly self-contained but needs electric energy and radiates heat I suppose.

A canister of water in space with solar energy might host it, or a lake on Mars, perhaps with nuclear energy and a bit of solar.

Both situations would answer the need for radiation shielding.

But I begin to speculate.  Very good materials (th).

Done

Last edited by Void (2023-11-29 21:05:31)

Done.

#4 2023-11-30 20:28:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Indoor farming such as the lunar inflatable that appears as other topics names.

5af1cf926598e02b008b45a2?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Board footer