New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-11-23 11:46:07

tahanson43206

Nutrition

For SpaceNut ... We did not appear to have a topic containing the word "nutrition".

We've had many discussions about food or related subjects, but for some reason no one put nutritiion into the topic title...

I'll lead off this new topic with a collection of quick lookups by ChatGPT.  I'm hoping our members will take an interest in this topic, and will add links, comments and perhaps a question or to as we wrap up 2023.

(th)

#2 2023-11-23 11:48:25

tahanson43206

Re: Nutrition

I asked ChatGPT(4) to look for any information there might be about planning expedition meals around dried food... the answer that came back seemed to cover more ground than just dried food, but I thought that it might provide a starting point for our members to develop a comprehensive plan for an expedition to Mars that will last a minimum of two years. 

Chat history

tahanson43206
Close sidebar
ChatGPT 4

You
Dried Food All Nutrition - Hello Again .... this might seem a surprising message on Thanksgiving, when ** real ** food is in preparation around the United States, but I am hoping you might be able to find references to all the research that's been done on how to provision expeditions with dry food that is designed/selected to meet all nutritional needs of human beings for an extended period, such as a year or more.

ChatGPT
I did a quick search for more information and here's what I found.
I found some valuable information on the nutritional aspects of provisioning expeditions, particularly in extreme environments like mountaineering or space exploration.

1. Expedition Nutrition Overview: Nutrition is crucial for human performance in extreme environments, such as space or remote terrestrial locations. It involves developing balanced diets with controlled intake of biologically active substances, vitamins, and food with radioprotective properties. Each mission has unique nutritional requirements that must be addressed to optimize performance and maintain health. The Frontiers Research Topic on "Expedition Nutrition" focuses on various research themes related to this, including the role of vitamins in bone demineralization during space travel, stability of food and nutrients in space environment conditions, effects of nutrient levels during ground analogues (e.g., bed rest, under-sea habitats), and the nutritional landscape of warfighters and extreme athletes. [7][8]

2. Mountaineering and Trekking Expeditions: Proper nutrition planning is vital for the success of mountaineering expeditions. Brian Rigby of Boulder’s Elite Sports Nutrition suggests a nutrition pyramid for climbers, with the base being adequate caloric intake. The majority of calories should come from complex carbohydrates (50-65%), followed by fats (20-35%, focusing on poly- and monounsaturated fats), and proteins (15%). Nutrient timing is also crucial, with a focus on frequent protein intake and carbohydrate consumption before, during, and after workouts. At high altitudes, appetite and taste perception can be reduced, so the diet should be palatable and easy to prepare. A variety of energy-dense foods and easily prepared carbohydrates are recommended. Testing foods in different conditions (extreme heat, freezing temperatures) is also advised to ensure they remain intact and edible. [24][25][26][27][28][29][30][31][32][33][34][35][36]

Unfortunately, I couldn't access some of the specific studies on dry food nutrition for extended expeditions due to restrictions. However, these sources provide a broad overview of the critical aspects of nutrition in challenging expeditionary contexts. If you need more detailed or specific information, please let me know, and I can attempt to find additional resources.

You
Thank you for this promising first look! I'll save this conversation and come back to it. The material you have found, even at this first stage, looks ** very ** helpful for those who are thinking about an expedition that will last two years or more away from Earth. Best wishes for similar success as you attempt to help your thousands of other fans!

ChatGPT
You're very welcome! I'm glad the information provided is helpful for your research on provisioning long-duration expeditions, especially those extending beyond Earth. Remember, if you need more detailed information or further assistance in the future, feel free to reach out. Best of luck with your plans, and I'm here to help whenever you need it. Happy Thanksgiving and best wishes on your endeavors!

ChatGPT can make mistakes. Consider checking important information.

ChatGPT

(th)

#3 2024-03-29 13:49:42

Mars_B4_Moon

Re: Nutrition

Kobayashi Pharma confirms 'puberulic acid' in beni-koji supplements
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240329_27/
Japan's health ministry says the maker of the "Beni-koji" fermented rice health supplement has confirmed the presence of "puberulic acid", an unintended substance, in its products. The products made by Kobayashi Pharmaceutical are reportedly linked to five deaths and dozens of hospitalizations

Board footer