New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-10-04 11:39:28

tahanson43206

Centrifugal Impulse Mass Delivery for Deep Space Propulsion

This topic is offered for study and discussion of the option of delivering water (or other mass) to high velocity in high volume, for space craft propulsion.

On Earth, the centrifuge concept has been in use since at least the late 1800's, when it was used to separate milk.

In another topic, the possibility that water (or other mass) in a continuous flow might be accelerated to a velocity on the order of 5000 mph at a rate of 1 kilogram per second is under consideration.

The problems of engineering a continuous feed acceleration system are different from the challenges facing an engineer who is working in the impulse area.

The engineering problems have been solved in the impulse arena, by folks working for SpinLaunch, in the US.

SpinLaunch has successfully spun up and released a significant mass which reached a (reported) altitude of 40 miles.

This topic is available those who are interested in finding a solution to the Large Ship propulsion problem.

GW Johnson has requested that any impulse system be designed so that the forces from impulses are spread out as evenly as possible between impulse events. The actual mechanism needs to weigh as little as possible, because the system is intended for Large Ship, which has a total mass budget of 5000 metric tons.

(th)

#2 2023-10-04 11:45:45

tahanson43206

Re: Centrifugal Impulse Mass Delivery for Deep Space Propulsion

To give this new topic a running start, I asked Google for a list of manufacturers of Ultracentrifuge equipment:

Eppendorf North America Manufacturer. Micro Ultracentrifuge CS-(F)NX Series. ...

Beckman Coulter, Inc. Manufacturer. ...

Biocompare. Ultracentrifuges. ...

Analis. Analytical ultracentrifuges. ...

Eppendorf Himac Technologies Co., Ltd. Ultracentrifuges. ...

Alfa Wassermann Inc. KII Ultracentrifuge. ...

Tradesworth Group Distributor. Ultracentrifuge.

7 Ultracentrifuge Manufacturers in 2023 - Metoree
us.metoree.com › Measuring Equipment
About Featured Snippets

I notice that Eppendorf shows up twice.  According to Google, this company was founded in 1945.

I note that Germany surrendered in May of 1945, so the burst of creative energy that resulted in modern West Germany was clearly in progress immediately after.

(th)

#3 2023-10-05 09:40:43

tahanson43206

Re: Centrifugal Impulse Mass Delivery for Deep Space Propulsion

GW Johnson sent me a number of documents recently, relating to this topic, and to the continuous feed parallel topic.

The overall impression that comes across to me is how difficult it is going to be to find a way to propel a spacecraft with a centrifugal technology.

This makes perfect sense to me.  If something were easy, it would be done already.

This topic is set up to explore the fringes of what is known, in order to find any opportunities there may be to improve upon existing techniques.

I invite serious discussion and collection of facts that bear upon the problem.

This topic is dedicated to the impulse track.  Per GW Johnson, a solution that involves impulses needs to include a momentum smoothing mechanism, such as the huge pusher plates designed for the Orion nuclear explosion space craft.

The opening salvo of documents about existing technology is concentrated in the continuous flow topic.

For ** this ** topic, we have the existing, working, proven technology of the SpinLaunch system.

If anyone can find technical details about this system, please add them here.

I would expect the SpinLaunch design must be patented, or at least ** new ** elements of design must be patented.

The idea of rotating a mass and releasing it must be thousands of years old. We can cite the Bible for that one.

Specifics of material choices for components of the system might well be patentable, and thus patented.

(th)

Board footer