New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2022-01-30 06:44:36

Terraformer
Website

Chip Fabrication

This 22-Year-Old Builds Chips in His Parents’ Garage

Almost at the milestone of Intel's 4004, the first commercial microprocessor... without needing an incredibly expensive and incredibly tricky and complex fab. Not good enough for the computing we're used to of course, but for running simple processes like monitoring environmental conditions and doing something in response such as releasing more oxygen? That would be very useful.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2022-01-30 07:14:37

tahanson43206

Re: Chip Fabrication

For Terraformer re New topic...

Thanks for starting this new focus!

It blends well with the work of marc, who is working on a PhD project at a local university, to design a mini-computer based upon early generation chips.

He was working on design of the assembler level commands the last time he commented on his work.

He was NOT working on the chips themselves, which is why the topic you have created seems (to me for sure) like a good fit for the NewMars forum.

marc has only posted 4 times, so it shouldn't take long to catch up with his work.

Hardware is good, but by itself it is just potential.  Hardware ** with ** software is what runs a civilization.

Update:

This gent is a talent to watch.... I hope he ** does ** pursue the DIY path he's pioneered. 

Zeloof recently upgraded his photolithography machine to print details as small as about 0.3 microns, or 300 nanometers—roughly on par with the commercial chip industry in the mid-'90s. Now, he’s thinking about the functions he could build into a chip on the scale of Intel’s historic 4004. “I want to push garage silicon further and open people’s minds to the possibility that we can do some of this stuff at home,” he says.

(th)

Board footer