New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#76 2024-06-11 15:29:18

tahanson43206

Re: kbd512 Postings

For kbd512 re latest post in Vertical topic...

Awesome!  If we had a "like" feature running, I'd be wanting to increment the value.

However, YouTube uses a simple "Like" and it is possible to turn it off, which is interesting.

I just scanned your post and will return to read it carefully later.

However, it ** was ** fun to be reminded of the history of gun launch systems.

One name I didn't catch was Dr. John Hunter, whose name has not reached household name recognition level yet, so I'm just reminding you Dr. Hunter is ** out there " for consideration.  He built working guns for Star Wars, and has been trying to built a ** real ** launcher ever since.

He was planning (and may still be planning) to use hydrogen for the fluid. The reason is velocity... Unlike the Vertical Launch Assist concept, he was going for LEO, which hydrogen gas can facilitate.

(th)

#77 2024-06-16 07:25:25

tahanson43206

Re: kbd512 Postings

For kbd512 re latest post in SSTO topic...

Your post included a reference to the use of spark plugs for pre-burners...

For all who might be interested in kbd512's reference ...

https://space.stackexchange.com/questio … -preburner

The discussion at the link above includes a flow diagram for the Space Shuttle, in addition to attempts to answer a question about how pre-burners work.

There are probably other references for this detail of rocket system design.

(th)

Board footer