New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-30 15:20:35

Palomar

Re: Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles"

*I've been intending to post this sooner or later.  As Bradbury is a scheduled guest at the Planetary Society's "Wild About Mars" event (see thread pertaining to that, also in the Free Chat section), I'm wondering who all here has read _The Martian Chronicles_, what you thought of it...and most importantly, what your favorite "chapter" of it was (without trying to spoil it for others who haven't read it yet). 

Mine is "August 1999:  The Earth Men." 

They're all excited, thinking they are finally being taken seriously and are ushered into a room filled with enthusiastic greeters...only to find out they've been committed to a Marsian ward (of sorts).

I enjoyed the entire book, though.  What an imagination...my favorite "chapter" :::title::: is "The Million-Year Picnic."  That'd be nice; I often think of humans going to Mars with that phrase in mind (infuses a special sense of wonder...)

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-12-30 16:11:57

clark

One flower from the garden?

April 2026: The Long Years

When memories are all that is left...

#3 2004-01-05 15:49:47

clark

Okay, who hasn't read the Martian Chronicles?!
And for the love of all that is holy, why not?!

You want to fall in love with Mars? Read this book, it exsists in a time before the mathmaticians and scientists killed Mars.
Before it was made cold and lonely by our ever improving technology.

You'll be glad you did...  big_smile

Board footer