New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-11-05 14:52:20

jburk
Executive Director
Website

New Mars Society Discord Server

Hi all,

We are in the process of setting up a new Discord server for the Mars Society.  I have asked the volunteers to use a similar discussion structure to New Mars Forums.  And, of course, everybody here is welcome to join.  Here's the Invite Link.

Discord is not meant to replace NewMars but as an additional way for people to participate in the Mars Society and in discussions about Mars-related topics.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

James L. Burk
Executive Director, The Mars Society
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#2 2021-11-05 14:59:29

tahanson43206

Re: New Mars Society Discord Server

Mr. Burk,

Thank you for all you've done and are still doing to help to keep the Mars Society facilities lively and growing.

We are in the process of setting up Zoom sessions to coordinate activities.

By any chance, does Mars Society have a paid subscription to Zoom?   I am a member of other organizations that ** do ** have paid subscriptions, and the features available with the paid version would be helpful.

Also! You are welcome to join our first Zoom meeting to meet our newest member, Clinician_Antilles.

C_A is in the process of sorting out opportunities to enter med school. 

See the Zoom Collaboration topic if you are interested.

(th)

#3 2021-11-05 15:33:28

kbd512
Administrator

Thank you for the invite, Mr. Burk.

#4 2021-11-05 15:44:42

jburk
Executive Director
Website

tahanson43206 wrote:

Mr. Burk,

Thank you for all you've done and are still doing to help to keep the Mars Society facilities lively and growing.

We are in the process of setting up Zoom sessions to coordinate activities.

By any chance, does Mars Society have a paid subscription to Zoom?   I am a member of other organizations that ** do ** have paid subscriptions, and the features available with the paid version would be helpful.

Also! You are welcome to join our first Zoom meeting to meet our newest member, Clinician_Antilles.

C_A is in the process of sorting out opportunities to enter med school. 

See the Zoom Collaboration topic if you are interested.

(th)

Yes, we do.  I am happy to help coordinate this.  We have Zoom Pro accounts with Large Meeting addon and also a Webinar account.

James L. Burk
Executive Director, The Mars Society
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#5 2021-11-05 16:01:23

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... would you be willing to take this on?

We'll proceed with plans for the free Zoom, since the meeting is only two days away.

However, if you can make arrangements with Mr. Burk, it would be ** really ** helpful to have the professional/paid version available.

(th)

#6 2021-11-05 18:51:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just one more facebook like area to visit but will check in when I can.

Nice topic start to get awareness out there Kbd512

#7 2021-11-05 19:19:21

tahanson43206

As a follow up to SpaceNut .... James Burk offered to help us with the Mars Society Zoom capability.

Can you (would you?) follow up ... it needs to be handled by our Senior Administrator.

You don't need to worry about running a Zoom session.   You would be trained on how to authorize use of the service.

What I would anticipate is that you would learn ** how ** to authorize a Mars Society Zoom meeting, and then you would delegate that to someone on your team.

(th)

#8 2021-12-12 12:59:07

Mars_B4_Moon

I have not been on Discord much but from what I hear I think Discord is a good idea and Mars fans if they want more audio and visual content and media and discussion then maybe they should be on as many sites or social media as possible. I have done normal social stuff where I look at mainstream social media accounts on the facebooks and youtubes, maybe I read too many dystopia books and watched to many dark scifi but I'm very careful when chatting with the normal type in person and I don't think I ever once made a political comment on a normal mainstream social media channel. I still like my privacy I like to watch a site or read something without having to log in with phones, I enjoyed to browse anonymous on the old bulletin board forums, I liked the old blogs and classic websites that just discussed journals or papers or reports. There are some good old sites like the physics type boards or sceptical science forums or gamer culture online communities like stardock or straightdope message board or slashdot science community but mainstream sites see more and more censorship these days.

It is possible a Mars channel on a more mainstream site could be banned for saying something some other person finds offensive on youtube, for example it could be flagged by software bots or in another community we could say something on a past President or discuss controversial science like 'genetic engineering' and people try to have you flagged or banned or maybe you wrote something that others want to censor or perhaps say something NASA budget that some other person finds offensive. I have already seen many channel sites shutdown across social media and banned for copyright strikes, for example  it might not even be political, it could be an artistic corporate dispute, they used a bit of a melody or they might use part of an image or picture from a film or video game that some studio wants to copyright, a Classic musician for example might even have their content hit by strikes because some record company is trying to copyright the minor scale, or some media company wants to copyright a simple chord progression used in almost every pop song and every song since old times and now sending out teams of bots and lawyers and software to chase down and hit other channels with 'copyright' strikes. Things even got more heated and divided during the US Trump Biden election cycle, with the 45th President Trump getting banned from multiple social media platforms.  Whatever your opinion about the left or right it is a very strange time when BigTech can team up against the USA's right to free speech and censor a President from the internet. The good news in all the censorship and channel strikes, online demonetisation and copyright bannings is there is still a movement for a free and open and common people internet where free discussion is allowed.

A parallel internet maybe is coming, across websites like bitchute and the website medium and odysee and minds you will see other space videos and science videos mirrored, a guy called Anton Petrov has a space media account, I think he's on patreon or space dot gadget tv website or something. A enws channel KGTV, spaceXcentric and NewYorkPost operate webistes channels on rumble dot com https://rumble.com . On bitchute there is a science guy Isaac Arthur, unfortunately bitchute right now maybe not be the best option, it is a little like youtube in its older early chaotic days and seems a bit weird and there are lot of UFO, Politics, DavidIcke, LochNess Monster, Flat Earth, Lizard people, Flat-Earther people type channels all over Bitchute, the media content producer Isaac Arthur does cover some science stuff there on bitchute but he also covers a lot of science fiction content. On the channels of the Odysee website there is 'Total Space ' and 'Scott Manley' he does seem to know what he's talking about and probably has an astrophysics background. I don't know if JPL or ESA or these official groups have any channels on the new fringe sites, or the old type pad blogs or news content and channels at medium.com or odysee or minds.com but there is a lot of content out there that's not on youtube or other big mainstream social media sites. There are also science video channels on vimeo.com/ and dailymotion.com I think Discord is a good idea maybe even a great option to have other places, it might be wise to back up content on Discord or to always discuss planetary exploration.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-12-12 13:17:45)

#9 2023-01-11 20:37:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

found the other just now and still the old accounts have gone dormant, or I have forgotten ow I created my accounts.

#10 2023-01-12 12:43:36

Mars_B4_Moon

Without social media would such great conversations have happened, the web as a broadcast medium it has both positive and negative. Some hyped 'alt-Tech' for example Parler was launched, billing itself as an unbiased and free speech alternative to larger social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook but then it closed maybe after a rightwing mob was involved in a rot. Musk still believes in bias and a theory of re-balance, Elon Musk has tried to keep a world wide mob happy, how to do this which with each local flavor of right vs left silly politic would be next to impossible, not everyone was happy and a rival platform 'Mastodon' has been growing.

Another name was Hive Social?

Elon Musk drove more than a million people to Mastodon – but many aren’t sticking around
https://www.theguardian.com/news/databl … ing-around

In an advert for good health and against his own new toy an interweb social brand Elon Musk wonders if 'maybe we should spend less time on social media'

Board footer