New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-08-25 18:15:47

Phobos

Re: Behavioural Problems in space

Apparently the thought of carefully selected people going crazy in spaceflight isn't such a crazy idea after all.  NASA just contracted a bunch of people to come up with ways to deal with mental illnesses that might arise on long space trips.  The article even mentioned that one instance Cindy mentioned of that guy forcing a kiss onto a female crewmate.  Here's a quote from the article:

Carter said there already have been a few documented cases of mental and behavioral problem on board Russian and Soviet space stations. For example, one crew member reported being suspicious of the activities of another. On another mission, concerned crew members reported to Earth one astronaut appeared depressed and would not work. In a third incident, a male crew member grabbed a woman on the craft and, pulling her out of camera view, forcibly kissed her.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-08-27 04:26:55

periscopeboy
Banned

I think for this reason, part of the training for such a mission should be spending a few months on board a submarine (I'm not biased at all, as my name would suggest big_smile ). 
The ideal astronaut used to be a hotshot pilot, but now that missions are much longer, you need somebody with the ability to withstand the psychological pressures of confined space, while doing his/her job, and still maintaining cordial relations with those around him/her.

#3 2002-08-27 21:57:30

Phobos

You know, training aboard a submarine might not be such a bad idea.  I can't think of a situation that would be anywhere as close to the actual thing on Earth as being on a sub.  Both spacecraft and submarines are immersed in environments that are utterly hostile to human life and require similiar attention to life support systems, etc.  In any case, being on a sub would probably give you some idea of who could take the stress of long confinement well.

#4 2002-08-28 11:12:03

Palomar

Apparently the thought of carefully selected people going crazy in spaceflight isn't such a crazy idea after all.  NASA just contracted a bunch of people to come up with ways to deal with mental illnesses that might arise on long space trips.  The article even mentioned that one instance Cindy mentioned of that guy forcing a kiss onto a female crewmate.  Here's a quote from the article:

Carter said there already have been a few documented cases of mental and behavioral problem on board Russian and Soviet space stations. For example, one crew member reported being suspicious of the activities of another. On another mission, concerned crew members reported to Earth one astronaut appeared depressed and would not work. In a third incident, a male crew member grabbed a woman on the craft and, pulling her out of camera view, forcibly kissed her.

*Ay carrumba.  I might be stepping onto a hornet's nest, but here goes:  I worry about the male-female dynamics of a mixed-gender crew.  I can only see this from a female perspective, of course [since I've never been a man, obviously] -- and I'm only speaking for myself and NOT for any other women; also, I'm only speaking from a U.S.A. woman's standpoint, as I've never lived in another culture/society:

It seems to me that women are at a disadvantage in such a situation, not just in terms of brute physical strength, but also because of stereotypes and negative socially-enforced sentiments about women.  Women who express their sexuality in America are "sluts," "whores," "tramps," etc.  Women who are reserved with their sexuality are "Ice Queens," "playing hard to get," "frigid," etc. 

No matter how a woman behaves, it seems to me that many [but not all, of course] men try to berate/degrade them for it.

And I have no idea how we can correct this age-old double-standard of unfairness or work against this negative socialization process in adult men, while at the same time affirming their sexual urges AND trying to get them to see that a woman's sexuality is hers to express in whatever way she pleases WITHOUT his approval or appreciation of it [whatever it may be].

As for me:  I've got a headache.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2002-08-28 11:31:04

C M Edwards

Maybe only one in two or three men is capable of going through a three year mission in a steel can with a mixed sex crew and not "oppressing the fairer sex," but I don't care if it's only one in a hundred.  If you find him, he's the one.  And frankly, the womenfolk are not likely to be selected for their frailty in such situations. 

Not all men will do it, and not all women will put up with it.  If we just pick from those, that still leaves us a huge pool.

CME

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#6 2002-08-28 13:50:50

C.COMMARMOND (FR)

Hello,

I think that in space, we should create a 'society', that mean a 'lot of' people (i personnaly think about 20), men and women (married).

An other important thing (aften ignored) is the need for people to break 'routine' (is it an english word too ?), i mean to change their mind: celebrate birthdays, christmas, drink champagne (i'm french!!! i need champagne), eat caviar... Stop the job for one day or two, make concerts (i think each people should have an 'artistic' hobby)...

With all that, 3 month travel to Mars will be soon passed and time on Mars will be animated with something else than job.

In fact, let people feel like at home, have privacy and a 'social life' and i think every one will be able to go on Mars.

(Don't forget two or three psys to look over all this and cool down the conflicts)

Have a good trip to Mars...

CC

#7 2002-08-28 14:34:48

periscopeboy
Banned

I worry about the male-female dynamics of a mixed-gender crew.  I can only see this from a female perspective, of course [since I've never been a man, obviously] -- and I'm only speaking for myself and NOT for any other women; also, I'm only speaking from a U.S.A. woman's standpoint, as I've never lived in another culture/society:

I've heard that a few navies have mixed gender submarine crews, which shows that teams of both sexes can work in close proximity in an enclosed environment without letting the tension get in the way.
Though for a 3 year mission, I think it would be best to send couples.
Of course, then what happens if they decide on the way to Mars that they can't stand each other and want a divorce?  They're stuck together.

#8 2002-08-28 20:47:50

Phobos

An other important thing (aften ignored) is the need for people to break 'routine' (is it an english word too ?), i mean to change their mind: celebrate birthdays, christmas, drink champagne (i'm french!!! i need champagne), eat caviar... Stop the job for one day or two, make concerts (i think each people should have an 'artistic' hobby)...

I definately think people should be able to take things like musical instruments or art supplies along on a Mars trip.  You gotta be able to just let go at times and forget about everything as much as you can.  So when I go to Mars I think I'll buy an accordian a few days before the trip and learn how to play it enroute.  smile 

And I have no idea how we can correct this age-old double-standard of unfairness or work against this negative socialization process in adult men, while at the same time affirming their sexual urges AND trying to get them to see that a woman's sexuality is hers to express in whatever way she pleases WITHOUT his approval or appreciation of it [whatever it may be].

The people on the crew will just have to learn to respect each other as individuals regardless of gender.  I don't think there's a quick fix as far as the entire society goes but I think these kinds of bugs can be worked out on a small scale.  Even though there have been cases of sexual abuse on space missions I doubt if it's the norm, but who knows what could happen over three years. 

Of course, then what happens if they decide on the way to Mars that they can't stand each other and want a divorce?  They're stuck together.

The only advice I can give in that situation is to hope your future ex doesn't gain control of the airlock when your standing in it.

#9 2002-08-28 21:41:31

Palomar

*I've been married for 9-1/2 years.  I suppose this sort of qualifies me as "the voice of experience" to some degree:

I doubt this will happen, basically because a couple commiting to such a mission are, in effect, recommiting themselves to one another.  If they are having a very rocky, unstable relationship on Earth, I seriously doubt you're going to get them to volunteer to get into that tuna can for 3 years together. 

Since all astronautical candidates will undergo a battery of psychiatric testing prior to the mission, there's no reason to think married couples won't undergo special testing tailored to them.

If anything, I'd lay my money on the journey STRENGTHING marriage sentiments and affections for the couples approved to go.

Of course, I could be wrong; the dynamics between two intimate people can be unpredictable.  However, if they've been married at least 5 years and do well on the testing, there's probably a good chance it'll be fairly smooth sailing.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#10 2002-08-28 23:39:23

Shaun Barrett

Hey Phobos!
   I want you to know that over the months I've taken quite a liking to you. You seem like a very reasonable and good-natured person.
   But if you're learning the accordion in the same thin-walled tuna can I'm riding to Mars in, I think I may have to kill you!!
                                     wink

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#11 2002-08-29 02:53:38

C.COMMARMOND (FR)

hey Phobos, it's a good idea, take an accordion (but electric so it will be small and silent and shaun will not kill you)... I think i would take a piano (electronic one).
Think at he other advantage of music instruments, it makes you do some sport since 'all the body' plays you have to contract all your muscles (particulary when there is no gravity), so it's a very good thing for a 'good mind in a good body'.

I didn't think about divorce... May be we should have two tuna cans on Mars (one km one from the other) so when you can't stand someone, change address!!!

I think in fact, there will be two tuna cans, because a first one will be sent for testing before the crew come on the second one.

And maybe better again, take two or three 50/60 year old people, because their are more stable, and because they (maybe) have less sex constraints, they could be some kind of confident for all the crew, and probably, they could keep the home when a lot of members of the crew have to go on a trip...

So it's OK.

#12 2002-08-30 16:36:15

Phobos

Hey Phobos!
  I want you to know that over the months I've taken quite a liking to you. You seem like a very reasonable and good-natured person.
  But if you're learning the accordion in the same thin-walled tuna can I'm riding to Mars in, I think I may have to kill you!!

But I only want to entertain my fellow shipmates Shaun. Once I learn how to play Mary had a Little Lamb on my accordion five months into the mission just think of the joy it'll bring to everybody. big_smile   

I think in fact, there will be two tuna cans, because a first one will be sent for testing before the crew come on the second one.

If Shaun comes along with us I think we'll have to take two tuna cans because he apparently doesn't appreciate our fine musical abilities.  smile

Board footer