New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#201 2004-06-11 10:39:48

Palomar

Re: Spirit & Opportunity *6* - continue on from thread "5"

still have not figured how to post links.

Greg

*Hi.  Do you mean post images, i.e. photos viewable without clicking on a link?  ???

If so, when you go to post, press "Image" (in the row of options beneath the Post Icons, and next to "Code").  Insert the link there, and follow the directions (I think just clicking on "OK" will do it; it's been a while since I posted an image).

Hope this helps, and is what you were questioning.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#202 2004-06-11 11:10:00

cassioli

Maybe this link to http://i.1asphost.com/jumpjack/hills-an … f]Columbia hills animation works... it's on another site...  ???
hills-anim-bn-gobba-part-th.gif

Luca

#203 2004-06-11 11:11:54

synthomus

What do you think this would mean if they are blueberries. Where is all the hematite? This site had water, but it was a different environment from Opportunities site. If the historic chemical composition of the two area’s are different, but they produced similar blueberries, what does that say? Life made them?

As we were told at the last press conference the histories of both sites are beginning to look not that different after all. But let's wait until a closer inspection of this rock indeed shows blueberries and how they are chemically composed.

Who knows, perhaps Mars once was a thriving blueberry world...

#204 2004-06-11 11:29:03

REB
Banned
Website

Maybe the blueberries are Tribble eggs? smile

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#205 2004-06-11 11:42:39

Palomar

Maybe the blueberries are Tribble eggs? smile

:laugh:

*I get the feeling the song "Blueberry Hill" will be a huge "retro" hit on Mars.

Exploration thrills and etc...(and -spills-, if yesterday's humor was any indication).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#206 2004-06-11 11:46:06

synthomus

:band:

Maybe the blueberries are Tribble eggs?

As you just discovered what the universe is for and why it is here, it instantly disappeared and was replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

#207 2004-06-11 11:58:39

REB
Banned
Website

You may be right, synthomus. I seem to be dissapearing. There g es my ha d. H y! Th s no  funn ! I s  m  o b

Poof!

Hey, Who are you guys? What were we talking about? Why is my shirt green?

smile

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#208 2004-06-11 12:34:06

REB
Banned
Website

Could that be Earth and Venus in the skies of Mars.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ … ...7M1.JPG

Here is where they are positioned when viewed from Mars;

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspac … ...bfov=30

#209 2004-06-11 12:36:01

REB
Banned
Website

...and is that the Moon to the left of the 'Earth', in the Mars picture. It matches what NASA simulator shows.

#210 2004-06-11 13:29:15

Julius Caeser

It would be a big disappointment if the Columbia hils turn  out to be a big chunk of lava deposit instead of the much awaited water deposited sediments we were all hoping to see!! sad

#211 2004-06-12 09:28:31

Stu
Website

Stumbled across a rather cool pic which shows just how big the MERs actually are...

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Newsroom/X-Pre … 016606.jpg

I know there have been other pics like that, but I thought this one helps put the size of Spirit and Opportunity into perspective  smile

And this...

http://www.gdargaud.net/Climbing/Mars.h … /Mars.html

...is a good read too...

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#212 2004-06-12 11:21:18

GJG

Thanks Cindi.  I think I answered my own question about links.  I had been unsuccessfuly trying to use the iB Code Buttons to post a simple hyperlink -- didn't work and no way to preview.  In the msg you responded to, I simply cut/pasted the link in my text and it worked fine.

Greg

#213 2004-06-12 16:21:18

marsnik
Banned

Thanks for the photo link showing the MER, Stu.  It's hard for me to remember sometimes how very LARGE the rovers are, until there's some point of comparison. (Other than rocks!)  Although, when I recall how much science equipment is packed into them, they seem quite... dainty...

"You dream that you're Bugs Bunny, then you wake up and find out you're Daffy Duck..." Chuck Jones 1999

#214 2004-06-12 19:31:43

GJG

Spirit slide down a bank here?

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit … ...0M1.JPG

Greg

#215 2004-06-13 00:56:11

Rxke

I think it's just 'scurrying' around, probably doing some tests, microscopic imaging etc...

Aaahhh... I've just been sitting here quietly, looking at the latest from Spirit... Can't stop to be thrilled, we're in the hills!
Frankly, i was a bit sceptic the rover would get that far... Exctatic it did!

Another milestone in exploration: until now all landers/rovers have only visited flat land, due to the landing-risks...
Hope Spirit will run for a while longer (things looking good, on that part...)
We're entering into a whole new chapter of Mars exploration here! :up:

How were these hills formed?
Erosion patterns?
Submerged by water once or not?
How much difference in composition?

I hope the project gets enough funding for the extended mission, the scientific payback could be tremendous, anyone an idea how they plan to work into the future (with the current prognosis of 'winter-sleep' etc, the mission might be going waaaay over it's allocated timeslot/funding, how does this interfere current and future missions, like Cassini etc... Deep Space Network is already burning midnight oil, switching from mission 'A' downlink to mission 'B' uplink etc., they will have to take some hard decisions sometime, but wich mission will get priority??

(BTW: isn't it about time to lock this thread for its 'security' and start *7*? It's already over 200 posts?)

#216 2004-06-13 01:03:57

Rxke

blueberries at Columbia Hills?  ???

look at the rock at center bottom of this latest image:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit … ...7M1.JPG

Certainly looks *very* analougeous to Opp pics...

Could they be buried at Spirit's site? By outflow 'dirt'?

Anyone seen closeups of that rock?

Boy, those berries ARE a good reason to send some geologists or even biologists up, aren't they?
How will we ever find out what they are if we can't lay our grubby hands on them?  :bars2:

Oh yea... Sample-return mission, sigh...

#217 2016-01-30 17:54:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Bump marking this topic so as to find it later to fix the shifting issues....

Board footer