New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#451 2022-10-02 18:03:32

kbd512
Administrator

Re: Zoom Collaboration

Zoom web conference is up and running.

#452 2022-10-02 19:18:58

tahanson43206

Thanks to kbd412 for hosting this evening's Zoom!

As a reminder, if a member would like to schedule a Zoom, please post a request here.

(th)

#453 2022-10-05 12:10:28

tahanson43206

The NewMars Zoom account is on Hiatus effective immediately.

Like a member of the Military Reserves, it has been Called Up to Active Duty for the upcoming 25th Anniversary Conference of the Mars Society.

Dear Mr. Burk!

Thanks again for providing the Zoom account, which we have kept going since you created it.

I am copying co-host kbd512, and our two most faithful participants.

Best wishes for a ** most ** successful conference!

We understand the Zoom account for NewMars is on Hiatus starting immediately.

(th)
On 10/5/22 13:52, James Burk wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> My records show we have a zoom account assigned to you for NewMars.  With the conference coming up, we will need to "borrow" it from you for a couple of weeks, and will return it by end of October.  Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Thanks,
>

(th)

#454 2022-10-05 21:02:59

tahanson43206

Zoom meetings can continue if anyone is interested.

Before we were granted use of the Professional Zoom Account, we were conducting meetings using the free trial Zoom service.

We can use the Zoom topic (this one) to report the login credentials, and members will be able to connect to the meeting just  fine.

Accordingly, next Sunday, I'm planning to offer the free trial Zoom option, in case anyone might wish to take advantage of it.

As I recall, there was a time limit imposed upon the free meetings, but that should not be a major problem.

(th)

#455 2022-10-09 07:51:00

tahanson43206

Today is Zoom Day in NewMars ....

We have enjoyed the use of a Professional Zoom account for some time, thanks to the generosity of Mars Society.  However, that account was needed for the 25th Annual Conference of the Mars Society.

This is a good time for us to evaluate the Zoom service for NewMars.

Only four members have used the service consistently.

We were joined on several occasions by members and by guests.

However, the initial enthusiasm for the service has decreased markedly.

We can open a demo version of Zoom (as we did in the beginning) if there is any interest.

However, no one is going to do anything along those lines, if there is no interest.

Furthermore, we do not need to consume a valuable Mars Society property if there is no interest.

We have time to think about whether we want to renew the professional account after the conference.

(th)

#456 2022-10-21 20:10:07

tahanson43206

This post is about Zoom Webinars

It appears (as nearly as I can tell) the Mars Society is using Zoom Webinars to host the 2022 Convention.

My experience with the system is generally favorable, in that I was able to watch the entire opening sequence from the Lobby.

Later, I experimented with "joining" (by entering the email address previously approved by Zoom), and that seemed to work.

However, I've noticed ads/offers from Zoom to allow direct participation in the event rather than using the web browser.

Webinars
Last Updated: June 19, 2022

If you are registering or joining a webinar and haven’t received an email confirmation that’s for a panelist or alternative host, you are an attendee in the webinar. As a webinar attendee, you can virtually raise your hand, submit questions in Q&A, and send messages to others.

Note: Some attendee controls won’t be available if disabled by the host. If you have additional controls not shown here, you may be a co-host or panelist in a webinar or an attendee in a meeting.

This article covers:

How to join a webinar by invitation link
How to manually join a webinar
Waiting for the host to start the webinar
Webinar controls

OK ... I've definitely succeeded by using the invitation link.

I'm curious to know how to "manually" join a webinar.

How to manually join a webinar
Locate the meeting ID/webinar ID from your registration email. It may appear at the end of the phone dial-in information, or it will be in the join link, just after https://zoom.us/w/
Sign in to the Zoom desktop client or mobile app.
Note: You do not need to be signed in to the Zoom client, but if not, you will need to provide a name and email address to join. If registration is required, you will need to complete registration and use the link to join the webinar.
Click or tap Join.
Enter the webinar ID, and click Join or tap Join Meeting.
If prompted, enter your name and email address, then click Join Webinar or tap Join.

OK ... that looks as though it might have been how I stumbled in at one point.

(th)

#457 2022-10-21 20:22:39

tahanson43206

Further updates/insights about attending a Zoom Webinar

I found that by saving the URL that is created by the invitation, it is possible to connect without having to pull up the invitation.

This is handy when the attendee is shifting between computers.

While experimenting, I found a chat message by NewMars member RobertDyck:

Can a virtual attendee use the Zoom "Raise Hand" button to ask a question? I would like to ask a question of Gary Johnson in the Tech R&D session.

Glad to see that at least ** one ** other NewMars member attended the 25th Mars Society Convention!

Bravo!

(th)

#458 2022-10-23 04:47:38

tahanson43206

Today is (has been) Zoom Day for NewMars forum.

Our Professional Zoom Account is in Reserve Duty at the 25th Mars Society Convention.

After the convention is over, and when Executive Director James Burk has time, we can decide if we want to resume use of the Zoom account.

My impression is that the Zoom account was highly valued for a number of months, but that it may have run out of steam.

At this point, I would be in favor or restoring the Zoom account for use by NewMars on an adhoc basis.

At any moment, a member of NewMars may wish to set up a conference with another member, or with a group which might include non-members for the purpose of collaboration. 

We have time to think about how we might wish to proceed.

(th)

#459 2023-01-16 12:22:07

tahanson43206

The NewMars Zoom has been out of action since late 2022, and there are currently no plans to bring it back.

However, I am actively using Zoom with other non-profit/business organizations each month, and each has problems trying to operate in hybrid mode.

I've been working the North Houston / National Space Society in particular, because they have significant potential for growth due to the high quality of their monthly presentations.  Most presentations are eventually written to YouTube, so they are available to anyone to see at any time.

A few minutes ago, I received an inquiry from Logitech.  Apparently their computer noticed I'd been exploring their web site, trying to find a camera suitable for Zoom meetings.  Here is a copy of the message I just posted to their online contact form:

First, thank you for providing this outreach to current or prospective customers.  Second, I'd like to think the situation I'll describe is familiar, and a solution is readily at hand. So: I am a member of a number of non-profit or business groups that began Zoom (or Gather) meetings during the pandemic. Most have continued in hybrid mode. I am a supporter of the online part of hybrid mode, and I am trying to help my associates to provider better service to their online audience. The default is to set up a laptop, connect to Zoom, and walk away.  I want a better experience, and I believe that we can grow our online audience if we provide it. I am looking for a webcam with pan and zoom (and even better would be mobility in the meeting room).  I want there to be remote control of the display as an option, while on site control might be an option. What I'm considering right now is a competitor's camera that offers a cloud access service.  The competitor offers a camera with pan and zoom and audio, and I am considering purchase. However, the competitor is not currently serving the Zoom market, so I would have to cobble something together to make this work. If you would like to discuss this via Zoom, I'd be happy to set up my Zoom system for an online discussion. Thanks! (th)

(th)

#460 2023-01-18 11:02:41

tahanson43206

This is a follow up to #459

A representative from Logitech contacted me via email, and we are investigating the feasibility of providing online audience control of the meeting camera.

It appears that the concept is feasible.  There are two aspects ...

First, the camera must include pan/zoom features which can be controlled by software via the WiFi connection.

Second, Zoom apparently provides software for this purpose (Far End Control).

The remote operator must be given co-host powers, which is reasonable and do-able.

I have requested a demonstration of how the Far End Control feature would work with the Logitech camera.

The pan-zoom camera is priced for the corporate market, so is out of reach for non-profit organizations.

However, the Mars Society may decide to invest in the technology for the next annual conference.

it would allow the Society to provide better audience views that are currently available from the fixed-view-laptop configuration currently in use.

*** Update later: The Logitech representative followed up ... he wrote that the "meeting" camera can operate under Zoom's remote control.

Logitech (apparently) does not have a YouTube video showing the camera in use in remote mode, but the rep suggested a YouTube video about a competitive product.  The YouTube video is well done.  If anyone would like to know specifics, just ask.  I'll be happy to pull up the email.

(th)

#461 2023-01-20 09:18:35

tahanson43206

This post is to inform our Administrators/Moderators that I have inquired about possible use of the Mars Society Professional Zoom account to assist space-plane.org as they may request.

The account was used with success for weekly meetings during 2022.  The account was returned to Mars Society for their 2022 conference, and I have seen no need to request it back until now.

In correspondence with space-plane.org, I picked up the impression they might be interested in meeting folks via Zoom.

(th)

#462 2023-01-29 11:49:09

tahanson43206

This post is to keep anyone who might be interested in experiments under way to attempt to improve the online experience for Zoom audience participants.

I've been working with members of a couple non-profit groups to try to develop and prove out a remote camera capability.

"Official" (Commercial) cameras are available for corporate or government Zoom meetings.  These appear to cost on the order of $1000 for the hardware, and any licensing fees would be on top of that.

I purchased a Wyze Pan Cam V3.  The first instance was unable to download and install an update, but the second instance succeeded on the second try.
The new camera is able to display high quality images on the Internet as the non-Pan cameras were able to. The difference is that ** this ** camera can accept steering instructions from a smart phone,

I am working on scheduling a live Zoom test using this $35 camera (and $20 license fee).

I'll report back when the test is carried out, succeed or fail.

The procedure will involve:

1) Non-profit representative opens professional Zoom session
2) Non-profit representative #2 logs in
3) I log in
4) Non-profit representative #1 assigns co-host status to me
5) I set up Wyze camera on a screen
6) I connect Zoom to the Wyze screen using Share
7) I then demonstrate camera steering using the smart phone
8) If all goes well, the two reps will both see the Wyze feed in addition to all three of the participant screens
9) At that point, one of the rep screens will be designated a presentation screen
10) Success would be reps able to see the presentation screen and the Wyze camera screen on their laptops.

(th)

#463 2023-07-27 07:11:45

tahanson43206

During the recent outage of NewMars (for unscheduled maintenance) Executive Director James Burk began the process to restore the Professional Mars Society Zoom account for use by NewMars admins and members.

There are multiple steps involved in the recovery process.  We have completed all steps, and then encountered a ** new ** hurdle.  It appears that either Google or Zoom is programmed to require a 7 day waiting period for re-activation of an account.  I presume this is a precaution for security reasons, and I take it in stride.  The long term goal is in sight.

The waiting period is due to expire on August 3rd.

In the mean time, we have a short list of members who can be notified by email when the Zoom account is back online.

I have:
RobertDyck
kbd512
GW Johnson

I'm working from memory so may have missed someone.

If you would like to receive an invitation to join a NewMars Zoom when the service becomes available, send an email to:

newmarsmember@gmail.com 

As a reminder to folks who might be reading the forum who are not members, if you would like to become a member of the forum, see the Recruiting topic for procedure.

(th)

#464 2023-07-28 07:00:37

tahanson43206

The Professional Mars Society Zoom appears to be back up.

I went through the verification loop several more times, and Google and Zoom finally relented and accepted my credentials.

Many thanks (again) to Executive Directory James Burk for providing this communications pathway for members.

The next event I'm hoping will happen is Sunday evening at midnight UTC, 7 PM Houston, 8 PM Eastern.

I'll double check the launch codes in Post #1 of this topic!

I'd like to set up kbd512 as co-host but will have to work with kbd512 to make that happen.

Update: Post #1 is now holding the Meeting ID and Passcode.

There is a Waiting Room, so you can test the connection at any time: You should see the Nightowl Welcome sign.

(th)

#465 2023-07-29 06:58:00

NewMarsMember

RGClark just requested to be notified when the Zoom events are scheduled.

Mr. Clark's email was forwarded to newmars@marssociety.org, where it will be added to the list of folks to contact.

However, in the case of regular events, we will use this topic to announce times and dates.

The ID of the Zoom and the passcode are published in Post #1 of this topic.

You can test them at any time, to be sure your Zoom software is up to date.  You'll be admitted to the Nightowl Zoom waiting room.

When an event is scheduled, a host will click on your ID to admit you to the meeting.

The NEXT scheduled event is this coming Sunday.

12 midnight UTC
7 PM Houston
8 PM Eastern

Any NewMars member is welcome to attend.

In addition, from time to time we will have guests who will attend.

I am hoping we will have a guest for tomorrow's meeting.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#466 2023-07-29 07:15:17

tahanson43206

In post #465, NewMarsMember reported that RGClark had requested to be included in a list of folks to be notified in the event of a Zoom meeting.  Regular Zoom meetings will be announced in this topic, and no email invitations will be sent to NewMars members.

However, any NewMars member may request a Zoom meeting for a special event at any time.  All that's required is a Host, so we'll have to negotiate with kbd512 or tahanson43206 to move folks out of the Waiting Room into the meeting space.

The next regularly scheduled Zoom meeting is planned for this coming Sunday (tomorrow)

12 UTC
7 Houston
8 Eastern

Any NewMars member is welcome to attend.

The time is not ideal for our European members, but we can adjust the schedule earlier if anyone asks.

We may invite guests from time to time, and there may be a guest for tomorrow's meeting.

(th)

#467 2023-07-30 06:15:13

tahanson43206

The Professional Zoom account is restored for NewMars members.

Today is Sunday on Earth, and NewMars is offering a Zoom meeting at midnight UTC, 7 PM Houston, 8 PM Eastern times.

We are still recovering use of this facility.  In particular, kbd512 is not yet set up as co-host.

I will open the meeting after 11:30 UTC, but it will not be ready for use until midnight UTC.

All NewMars members are welcome to test the connection at any time.  The credentials are posted in Post #1 of this topic.

When you connect you should find you are in the Nightowl Zoom, and in the Waiting Room.

If all goes well, a host will admit you to the meeting at midnight UTC.

Everyone is welcome to use THIS topic for communication!

The guest I was hoping might attend will be out-of-town so will not be attending.

I am hoping that we can start out with at least four attendees:

kbd512
RobertDyck
GW Johnson
RGClark

Update at 9:26 local time ....
Completed test setup ...
Started Zoom on Chromebook as host
Started Zoom on Win7 as guest
Admitted guest on Chromebook
Set guest to co-host ...
Closed session

(th)

#468 2023-07-30 17:44:24

tahanson43206

This evening's Zoom is up and running ....

This topic is available for communication as may be needed.

(th)

#469 2023-07-30 17:55:26

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

I haven't been feeling well for the past couple of weeks (continuation of illness from earlier this year), but thought I'd post to let you know I'm still here.

#470 2023-07-30 17:56:48

GW Johnson
Website

I do not understand how to get to a zoom meeting without a specific link to a specific meeting.  The ID and passcode things listed in post 1 of this topic mean nothing to the likes of me.  I found no link to click on in post #1 of this thread,  or in any of the several pages I scrolled through. 

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2023-07-30 18:02:30)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#471 2023-07-30 18:00:45

tahanson43206

Hi kbd512 ...

Thanks for your note, and sure do hope you are on the mend!

The Pro Zoom is up, and I'm hoping that GW Johnson will stop by.

I see that Calliban is still awake there in the UK, so he'd be welcome to visit as well.

I discovered what went so badly wrong when I tried to reactivate Zoom.

It is possible the logon password you were using was the original complex password that Mr. Burk provided.

The Chromebook appears to have memorized the password, so I promptly forgot it, and indeed, forgot where I'd saved it.

It took several tries and a few days of settle time before Zoom and Google decided to let me back in.

When you're feeling better, I'd like to see if we can set you up as a permanent co-host, with your own log on and password.

There's a lot to learn about this software.  We barely scratched the surface when we used it before.

Get well soon!

(th)

#472 2023-07-30 18:01:03

kbd512
Administrator

GW:

Meeting ID: 843 9817 1219
Passcode: 519958

#473 2023-07-30 18:02:26

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Do I need to log in as meeting host, or have you already done that?

#474 2023-07-30 18:02:52

tahanson43206

Hi GW ...

Best wishes for success remembering how to connect with Zoom!

It starts with zoom.com

Start that in your browser, and enter the values that kbd512 provided

(th)

#475 2023-07-30 18:03:19

GW Johnson
Website

I have no clue what to do with the meeting ID and the passcode,

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

Board footer