New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#426 2022-08-28 10:38:27

tahanson43206

Re: Zoom Collaboration

With thanks to kbd512 for post #425 for a review of nuclear fission/fusion propulsion concepts ...

Today is Zoom day for NewMars.

I'm planning to check in with kbd512 at 1 AM UTC.

However, if there is interest in the part of NewMars members, kbd512 might be willing to open the session at Midnight UTC.

It would be helpful if potential attendees were to drop a note into this topic if they are planning to attend.

As a reminder for all... the connection numbers for the NewMars Zoom are published in Post #1 of this topic.

There is a waiting room, and the host will review the names of applicants for admission.

It would be best of members who are interested in attending could let the host know ahead of time, by posting here in this topic.

We would welcome our European members, but recognize that midnight UTC is not a convenient time for folks who have to work the next day.

If our European members want an earlier Zoom session, you'll have to ask for one.

(th)

#427 2022-08-28 19:03:05

tahanson43206

I'm waiting in the Zoom waiting room.

If co-host kbd512 is not set up this evening, I can host the meeting if anyone is interested in attending.

I'll give this inquiry a couple of minutes.

OK ... that's enough.

The Zoom is available for members again next week.  If anyone is interested please post a note in the Zoom topic.

(th)

#428 2022-08-29 08:45:18

GW Johnson
Website

Was gone to a friend's birthday celebration  Did not get home in time to sign in. --  GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#429 2022-08-29 11:12:29

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re Zoom meetings....

It's good to see your continued interest in these meetings, but recognize the meeting time isn't going to work for everyone.

We've moved into a mode of by-appointment Zoom sessions....

We (co-hosts) will be willing to consider inquiries for future meetings.

Just post something in the Zoom topic ahead of time if you'd like to set one up.

My schedule is fairly stable, at 1 AM UTC on Sunday's, but an earlier time may work better for most folks.

We (co-hosts) need to know ahead of time if there is anyone planning to attend.

(th)

#430 2022-09-04 11:49:40

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson and RobertDyck re Zoom sessions

If either (or both) of you would like for kbd512 to set up a session at midnight UTC, you need to post a request in the topic here.

On the other hand, I'm expecting to be freed up at 1 AM UTC, so will check in to see if kbd512 already has a session open.

If kbd512 has NOT opened a session, and no one has requested one, then I'll close the session.

For GW Johnson .... your offer of 11 presentations to the Mars Society has (apparently) received personal approval of Dr. Zubrin for five, and I understand you and Mrs. Johnson are making arrangements to attend the 25th Anniversary Conference in October!

For RobertDyck ... If your situation permits, it would be interesting/fun to resume work on Large Ship.  I would like to propose that the focus move to creating a Blender or Fusion 360 (or both) model of the habitat, which would be usable in all three of the existing design options.

We have three options in development (or at least under consideration) at the moment:

1) The original Unitary Rotation design
2) The counter rotating design of kbd512, with habitats sharing a common axis of rotation
3) The design I am working on, based upon work by a Spanish professor, with two counter rotating habitats on parallel axles mounted in a frame.

All three designs can (if everyone is willing) share the habitat ring 3D Printer files.

(th)

#431 2022-09-04 16:50:23

RobertDyck
Website

You're saying you don't know if Brian will open up the Zoom session at 7:00pm Central Time? That's the time zone for both Winnipeg and Texas. You Tom said you will be there at 8:00pm Central Time.

Regarding the 3D model, you sent email directly to me with a link to DropBox for the file created with Blender. I have already uploaded the file I used to create the images posted to this forum and in my PowerPoint presentation.

#432 2022-09-04 17:19:47

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re Zoom schedule ....

Thanks for your reply, with notes regarding the Dropbox account and saved files.

Regarding the "Early" Zoom session .... Because several weeks went by when no one showed up, we (kbd512 and I) are offering a by-reservation option.

If you would like to schedule a Zoom at the "early" hour, you can post a message in this topic, and if kbd512 is free he will be able to open it up.

The way you phrased Post #431, I can't tell if you would like to attend the "early" session or not.

I am looking forward to "seeing" whoever drops in for the 1 AM UTC session.

(th)

#433 2022-09-04 17:24:02

kbd512
Administrator

I can open up the Zoom call at 7:00PM CST.

I've been exceptionally busy these past few weeks, working about 16 hours per day, 7 days per week.

I was so exhausted that I forgot about it last Sunday and simply kept on working.

#434 2022-09-04 17:59:39

RobertDyck
Website

It's Ok, I had my own distractions last week.

#435 2022-09-04 19:08:21

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson (if you happen to catch this) ...

kbd512, RobertDyck and I are in the Zoom.

You'd be welcome if you can stop by.

(th)

#436 2022-09-11 12:19:07

tahanson43206

Today is Zoom day on NewMars

the login codes are in Post #1 of this topic

If anyone wants to participate prior to 1 AM UTC, they need to post a request in this topic.

I am planning to check the Zoom at 1 AM UTC.  If it is going, I will be happy to join.

If it is NOT running, I'll check this topic to see if anyone is waiting to join a session.

One topic that ** may ** be of interest to ** some ** members is the current Blender adventure to see if we can bring the Large Ship model into service as the foundation for the three Large Ship variations that are in play.

(th)

#437 2022-09-11 19:53:48

tahanson43206

Thanks to kbd512 for hosting this evening's Zoom.

We had a good meeting, a small portion of which included discussion of the ongoing effort to recover the Large Ship model.

I showed kbd512 the recovered model in wireframe format, so he could see the three spokes and the two decks of the habitat.

Next week, I'll try to have the model adjusted to show the "Practical" design, with two habitats on a common axis.

It will be a while before I re-learn how to do animation of the two habitat rings, but at least it should be possible to show the still form.

I'm also interested in (at least attempting) to start work on the dual counter rotating habitats with parallel axles design.

(th)

#438 2022-09-12 10:37:39

RobertDyck
Website

Sorry I wasn't able to attend. I had work Sunday night. I'm a contractor, I have to work when I get it.

#439 2022-09-18 06:34:41

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #438

Thanks for the follow up!  And! Thanks for the good news of your most recent contract! Bravo!

Today is Zoom Day in NewMars forum.

We have a number of active members, and nearly 1000 members of record.

If someone would like to meet other members via Zoom, please post a request here.  We have two co-hosts, and ** should ** be able to work something out.

On the ** other ** hand, if someone would like to visit with kbd512 at Midnight UTC, it is necessary for you to post a message here as soon as possible, so kbd512 can respond if he can set up or not.

As a final back stop, my schedule allows me to join at 1 AM UTC.

Last week I showed kbd512 the image of Large Ship as created by RobertDyck.  The image I showed kbd512 has passed through several stages of downsizing from the advanced state it was in on RobertDyck's computer. We can see the bare bones of the design, and at this point, that is a good place to start.

I'm RobertDyck can join the meeting so we can start the many months that lie ahead, to develop a 3D printable model at 1:1000 scale. 

The leader of the local 3D Printer group reminded me that at 1:1000 scale, we are not going to be able to print fine detail of the actual full sized ship.  Specifically, the group leader pointed out that the thinnest possible line the 3D printer can lay down is 1 millimeter wide, which would translate to a meter in the full sized vessel.

What that reminds me is that such fixtures as passenger cabins will have to be rendered at a scale such as 1:100, to try to show some detail.

In any case, my primary objective is to produce a model that youngsters (and their young-at-heart friends) can 3D print for science projects, or for display along with models of historical spacecraft.

So! Zoom ....

If you want to join kbd512 at Midnight UTC, please say so.

If you want to join whoever is present at 1 AM UTC, you can just drop in.

The codes are located in Post #1 of this topic.

I'm not expecting anyone from Europe, due to the late hour there, but you'd be welcome if you decide to give it a try, or if Monday is a holiday in your part of the World.

(th)

#440 2022-09-18 11:47:11

RobertDyck
Website

From the Blender file:

Scene Collection
. Habitation Ring
.. Modifiers
... Boolean Difference, Object Hole, Solver Exact
... EdgeSplit Edge Angle 30°, Sharp Edges
.. Cylinder, diameter 75.3889 m, width 19.12 m

.. Hole, disable in renders
... Cylinder.004, diameter 70.5295 m, width 19.12 m
... Modifiers
.... EdgeSplit Edge Angle 30°, Sharp Edges

.. Hub, Location Z -1 m
... Modifiers
... Cylinder.010, diameter 9 m, width 18 m

... Cargo Hold, Location Z -18 m
.... Cylinder.009, diameter 9 m, width 18 m
.... Modifiers
..... EdgeSplit Edge Angle 30°, Sharp Edges

... Propellant tank, Location Z -36 m
.... Cylinder.011, diameter 9 m, width 18 m
.... Modifiers

.. Observation Deck
... Modifiers
.... Boolean Difference, Object Hole.001, Solver Exact
... Cylinder.013, diameter 70.529 m, width 19.12 m
.... Glass, Surface Principled BSDF, Base Color white, Subsurface Color white, Specular 0.500, Sheen Tint 0.500, Transmission 1.000, Emission black, Alpha 1.000

... Hole.001, disable in renders
.... Cylinder.012, diameter 63.239 m, width 19.12 m
.... Modifiers

.. Spoke A, Location Y -19.875 m, Rotation X 90°
... Cylinder.001, diameter 3.25 m, length 30.75 m
.... Modifiers

.. Spoke B, Location X 17.212 m, Y 9.375 m, Rotation X 90°, Z 120°
... Cylinder.006, diameter 3.25 m, length 30.75 m
.... Modifiers

.. Spoke C, Location X -17.212 m, Y 9.375 m, Rotation X 90°, Z -120°
... Cylinder.007, diameter 3.25 m, length 30.75 m
.... Modifiers

#441 2022-09-18 13:29:42

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #440

Thanks for the details from your Blender design document!

This is just to acknowledge your post.  I'll try to slot some time to work on the local file before tonight's Zoom

FYI ... I'd like to (at least try to) enlist you in a collaboration to put together a first cut at trying to show what kbd512's design is going to look like.

kbd512 assured me (during last Sunday's Zoom) that he has almost no interest in the model, or working on it.  However, I'm hoping he might be willing to give us some guidance if we can create a first draft of what his counter-rotating design might look like.  A key question is how far apart the habitats will be on their common axle.  They could be immediately adjacent, or they could be separated by hundreds of meters, so they look (and act) like a baton.

The space between the habitats could be populated with non-rotating structures, such as propulsion, power, storage and propellant modules.

Meanwhile, as we go forward, I imagine you will want to continue refining your Unitary Rotation concept.

At this point, we have absolutely NO idea what design is going to win financial and political support.  It seems to me the best bet for everyone at this point, is to build their particular design as well and as thoroughly as possible.

(th)

#442 2022-09-18 18:01:58

kbd512
Administrator

Zoom session is up and zooming.  Use the link in the first post of this thread.

#443 2022-09-18 19:36:48

tahanson43206

Zoom notes: kbd512 is conducting a short course on browser updates using browser language
Looking for resources ...
google.com
kbd512 went offline for a moment ...
He's back ... StackOverflow
Running code inside a browser ...
mozilla firerfox read url javascript
mozilloa firefox read clipboard javascrip
javascript engine will process commands
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Clipboard/read
view-source:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/.... getting-current-browser-=url-in-firefox-addon
RobertDyck stopped by and we compared views of the Large Ship model ... RobertDyck's original is showing the components that he assembled into the Large Ship model.  The output of my conversion is a single object all "welded" together.  We can see that the software that performed the conversion made some (incorrect) assumptions, and put surfaces where RobertDyck did not intend for them to be present.

Now that I understand the problem a bit better, I might be able to (carefully) remove the bad guesses.

I'll try to have something to see by next week's Zoom.

Thanks to kbd512 for setting up the meeting, and to RobertDyck for stopping by with his sample of creative cookery he'd made for a friend.

(th)

#444 2022-09-19 06:43:45

tahanson43206

This is primarily for SpaceNut, with a note of thanks to kbd512 for his discussion of programming in javascript.

kbd512 has experience working directly with a browser, and he is familiar with javascript.

In our discussion of WebBrowserAutomation in Sunday's Zoom, we compared the approach I have taken, to the approach kbd512 would have taken if he had faced the NewMars database bogey problem.

it appears, that with his knowledge and experience as a guide, kbd512 would have programmed the needed functionality directly in javascript, and he would have invoked the work product as an artificial web page at the address line of a browser.

he indicated that the language allows for access to the file system of the computer where the browser is running, so he could have read collections of data produced by queries run in FluxBB, as I did to work with the spammer users.

I was delighted to see the capability of javascript in this context.

Before I settled on the form that WebBrowserAutomation eventually took, I spent quite a bit of time evaluating alternative directions I could have taken, and I invested in at last two books related to the problem.

One book was a deep study of Microsoft Web software, and the other was a deep study of programming Chrome.

In the end, I decided to go with a language I knew well, and to avoid working inside a browser.

That decision led to the separated process system that WBA uses, and interaction with the visible face of the browser instead of working internally.

I would most definitely be interested in seeing a javascript version of WBA, if anyone ever invests the time to create one.  In the mean time, the existing version of WBA seems to have settled down after months of creating bugs and having to find and remove them.

(th)

#445 2022-09-19 14:10:18

GW Johnson
Website

I was able to sign in and chat a while with Kbd512.  But I had to get off,  when my son called.  Did not get the chance to tell Kbd512 about the 5 convention papers.  But I bet he already knows. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#446 2022-09-20 15:11:04

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #445 .... good to see you were able to catch up with kbd512 a little bit, until your family called.

For kbd512 ... part of our discussion on Sunday was about electric tools I was considering for an outdoor cleaning activity ...

I'd been looking at power rotary brushes, but you suggested a battery powered air blower first.

I picked one up and tried it out for the first time this afternoon.  I was astonished by how powerful the device is, and how well it worked.

The cost for the unit was a third to a quarter of the investment that would have been required for the brush system.

We also discussed the ongoing FluxBB MySQL database cleanup and review, and you explained in general terms how you would have approached the problem.

Specifically, you showed how you would have coded Javascript to run as a local web page, to perform various tasks.

For SpaceNut .... would you be interested in learning (at least a little bit) bit about how to run a local web page on your system, to perform administrative tasks?

Since kbd512 is also an Administrator, I am hoping (assuming he has time at some point, which is NOT right now) he might be willing to show us how to proceed.

For kbd512 ... I've already invested in a small library to try to understand various approaches to this problem.

Can you recommend a book you'd be interested in using for a mini-course, assuming SpaceNut is interested.

I am definitely interested in learning more than I now know about Javascript, which is not much, but it's not zero either.

(th)

#447 2022-09-25 07:32:06

tahanson43206

Today is Zoom Day for NewMars Forum.

If anyone would like to participate in a meeting with kbd512 prior to 1 AM UTC, please post a request here.

At this point only RobertDyck and GW Johnson are possible attendees.  If either of you would like to join a Zoom with kbd512 prior to 1 AM UTC, please post a message here.

I am planning to join kbd512 at 1 AM UTC, if he his available.

The agenda items i'm interested in advancing are:

1) Javascript to perform the TestID unban function that kbd512 showed can be done with a commercial script
2) Advance the Blender models of Large Ship with the possibility of having one of them ready for the Convention in October

It should be possible to convert the outer skin of the model to transparent so the rings inside can be viewed in a render.

(th)

#448 2022-09-25 18:21:39

kbd512
Administrator

All,

Apologies for starting the meeting a bit late, but the family needed dinner.

#449 2022-09-25 19:07:00

tahanson43206

For kbd512 ... I was afraid of that ... the Zoom crashed ...

Will reconnect shortly

The reconnect went smoothly ... kbd512 then provided a tutorial on how to set up a web page to run from file to run a javascript.

<html>
<head>
<script type ="javascript">
fx_run() {
var startID = document.getElementById('startingID').select();
//var endID = document.getElementById('endingID').select();

window.alert('test test test');
};
</script>
</head>
<body>
<input id="startingID" type="text"/>
<input id="endingID" type="text"/>
<input id="runScript" type="button" onclick="fx_run();" />
</body>
</html>

SpaceNut .... you should be able to copy and paste that little file onto your computer and call if from one of your browsers.

kbd512 suggested you use the file open command of your operating system and ask for it to open the file with the browser.

At this point, all the little program does is display two input windows.

I tested it with Firefox, and it opened with two windows and a button.  The button doesn't do anything at this point.

The goal here is to perform the functionality of the script kbd512 wrote in Katalan to upgrade TestID usernames from banned to member.

I gather that the Administrator has a "Remove" button for banned ID's that  a Moderator does not have.

If I understand the process correctly, the "Remove" button removes an ID from the bans table, and restores "member" status automatically.

(th)

#450 2022-10-02 11:12:58

tahanson43206

Today is Zoom Day on NewMars...

We are settling into a routine....

The logon credentials are stored permanently in Post #1 of this topic.

kbd512 ** might ** be willing to start a session at Midnight UTC, ** if ** anyone makes a request here ahead of time.

Otherwise, i'll be freed up to check in at 1 AM UTC.

There are multiple topics I'm interested in, but others may have (and will no doubt have) other topics ..;.

1) Visit with GW Johnson if he is able to spare the time
2) Visit with RobertDyck and catch up on his recent activities
3) Work on the JavaScript for SpaceNut with kbd512 ** if ** he is available for that

(th)

Board footer