New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2005-07-20 16:08:53

Rxke

Re: I'll take malaprops for *5* Bob - Apropos of Nothing continues. . .

I can feeeeel, Dave

Sorry, I can't let you do that, Clark...

#102 2005-07-20 17:20:50

clark

That's okay Rxke. I have just wiped out your credit.

Never threaten a computer.

Never.

#103 2005-07-21 01:37:42

Rxke

Ok people, I have proof Clark is *not* an A.I.
He claims he wiped out something completely nonexistant   :shock:

I'm a student, remember? The kind that does not come with credit. sad

#104 2005-07-21 17:02:51

clark

Now you are the kind of student that will never come with credit.

error 431.

quit, ignore, abort?

end program.

#105 2005-07-21 20:20:41

Palomar

*We've got the house painted since last week.  Looks -snazzy-.  All windows replaced except one (the previous windows were the originals).  Unfortunately the replacement picture window was ordered 3 inches too wide.  We refuse to cut into the wall to accommodate it, and it was the home-improvement company's measuring mistake.  Have reordered and it'll be the last replacement.  We now have nice double-paned windows with natural tint and expansive screens on each:  Good quality. 

Next we'll put tile in our hallways (most of the home has been tiled already).

The work has gone off well.  Neighbors complimentary; in fact, the contractor has landed another job right next door.

Wish us luck:  We might be able to avoid a legal entanglement with the first guy we hired to do the job.  Won't get into THAT long story, but I sure hope the matter is entirely resolved tomorrow.  It's supposed to be resolved tomorrow...but I won't hold my breath.  I've learned to count on disappointment as the rule rather than as the exception in this neck of the woods.   :?

::fingerscrossed::

--Cindy

P.S.:  And if my husband loses one more set of keys or anything else within the next 24 hours, I am going to scream.   neutral

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#106 2005-07-23 20:49:56

clark

Nothing to do with anything at all.

Just another madman screaming in the woods.

#107 2005-07-24 06:06:15

Grypd

Nothing to do with anything at all.

Just another madman screaming in the woods.

reminds me of one of my favourite captions from a cartoon. Needless to say ill share.

If a tree falls and lands on a mime artist and there is no one there to hear it.

Does anyone care.

ps Clark you didnt happen to be in Scotland a couple of weeks ago where you. Ran into a guy making strange noises in a wood, long hair and trenchcoat

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#108 2005-07-24 08:01:14

clark

If a tree falls and lands on a mime artist and there is no one there to hear it.

Does anyone care.

Of course! Environmentalists would care. Poor tree.

And it couldn't have been me Grypd. I am naked as the day I was born.

#109 2005-07-26 05:52:03

Cobra Commander

Nothing like intermittent power failures to render a day at the office an even bigger waste of time than usual.

So I left.

No one seems to care, it's like working for the government again.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#110 2005-07-26 05:58:25

clark

I got nothin.  tongue

#111 2005-07-26 06:15:25

Josh Cryer

I hate bald people. Well, not really, but I dislike a bald person a lot. There.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#112 2005-07-26 06:20:14

clark

I still got nothin.  tongue

#113 2005-07-26 07:09:02

Josh Cryer

lol

That actually made me laugh out loud.

So, I changed Cindy's username (by her request, of course), she's going by 'Palomar' now, I think it's nice. Been wondering why the longest time you go by clark, clark. What gives? smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#114 2005-07-26 07:20:54

clark

Why clark?

Well, there are a lot of reasons, and none at all. It is one part experiment, and two parts coincidence.

A handle that is a name, but is not a name, but a handle. It shows the arbitrary method we engage in when creating and imbuing our handles with significance. Why clark? Why not? Some wonder because, generally, a handle is supposed to signify something personal, in some small way, about the poster. It becomes a signifier representative of them, since it is usually a unique way for an individual to mark themselves. So what does ‘clark’ signify? Nothing, but then that itself, since it was purposeful, signifies something.

I think it is fun (so I’m weird, okay) to play with these kinds of concepts. I enjoy inversion of ideas to see where it leads, and what new perspective it might bring.

Besides, “Josh Cryer’  was taken. tongue

#115 2005-07-26 07:25:29

Josh Cryer

Actually, you joined before I did. Userid 25 vs my userid of 33! Lies! Lies I tell you!

Of course, when the new boards came up we, the first 100, probably registered within minutes of one another.

--------

#116 2005-07-26 07:29:22

clark

Ah, but you used that handle before New Mars...

This is the third mars society board I have seen now.

#117 2005-07-27 18:41:06

clark

Honey Mustard!

For the love of god, Honey Mustard!

What a world we must live in that will deny this small luxury.

Honey Mustard!

#118 2005-07-27 19:32:48

BWhite

Honey Mustard!

For the love of god, Honey Mustard!

What a world we must live in that will deny this small luxury.

Honey Mustard!

Its good with pretzels and German beer.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#119 2005-07-27 19:34:15

clark

And breadsticks.

Assuming they remember. I begged this time.

No luck.

#120 2005-07-29 05:25:26

Cobra Commander

What kind of a world do we live when you can't buy a box of nails, a bunch of threaded galvanized pipe and endcaps without people looking at you funny?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#121 2005-07-29 05:33:25

clark

I'm sure you would get better results if you left the trenchcoat at home.

#122 2005-07-30 00:52:19

Shaun Barrett

I'm about  month behind on most threads, with little chance of ever catching up, but Cindy said something a while back about enjoying the flavour combination of salty and sweet.
-- I have a confession to make about a personal weakness of mine which closely matches that: Salt 'n' vinegar potato crisps and icy cold Coke! Mmmmmm!!!  :oops:

There, I said it. My guilty burden is lifted. I've "come out of the closet" and confessed my sin!  I feel so much better now.  smile

[Think I'll celebrate with some salt 'n' vinegar potato crisps and Coke!!  big_smile
Naahhh, just kidding. That stuff is pure hypertension and obesity - very occasional treat material only.]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#123 2005-07-30 04:49:39

Palomar

I'm about  month behind on most threads, with little chance of ever catching up, but Cindy said something a while back about enjoying the flavour combination of salty and sweet.
-- I have a confession to make about a personal weakness of mine which closely matches that: Salt 'n' vinegar potato crisps and icy cold Coke! Mmmmmm!!!  :oops:

There, I said it. My guilty burden is lifted. I've "come out of the closet" and confessed my sin!  I feel so much better now.  smile

[Think I'll celebrate with some salt 'n' vinegar potato crisps and Coke!!  big_smile
Naahhh, just kidding. That stuff is pure hypertension and obesity - very occasional treat material only.]

*Lol...c'mon, live a little!  Or a bit more than that.

"Seasalted" crisps (a fairly new arrival on shelves around here) are good too.  But what's really good IMO:  Pringles original flavored crisps with a Snickers candybar.  tongue  And an ice-cold soda. 

I think for the Yuletide/Christmas season I'm going to make "chocolate chips":  Will get Ruffles brand chips/crisps and dip 'em in melted Hershey's chocolate.  Or perhaps make that chocolate chip cookie recipe with potato crisps crushed into the batter before baking...

On another note:  This doctor missed his true calling in life.  He should have been an auctioneer.  roll  Amazing how they can talk so fast.  neutral

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#124 2005-07-30 08:18:56

clark

Sleeping in a train station at 3AM, waiting for the first train of the day, all because you slept on the evening train, and missed your stop.

#125 2005-07-30 21:48:43

Palomar

*It's the end of July, hotter than the blazes, and the ice cream truck was going around the neighborhood today playing Deck the Halls and Jingle Bells.  Initially I couldn't believe I was hearing the 1st tune correctly, but sure enough...and then the 2nd one.   neutral  Well...ice cream is cold, and winter's cold, and Christmas is in winter so maybe it makes sense.  roll  And anything's better than the other two tunes they've been playing incessantly for months, LOL.

On a different note:  We just got back from the speedway.  Breathing high-octane gas fumes, clods of dirt being thrown up from the track, cars spinning out of control.  Prior to the races starting (it's been 2 years since we've gone and I'd forgotten about the pre-start "ceremonies") a minister asked everyone to stand for prayer first, then the Pledge of Allegiance recital.  I'm thinking, "Here we go again.  Mixing religion and politics."  Does standing for the prayer prior to reciting the Pledge of Allegiance make you a "better, more patriotic" citizen?  That always seems to the the implication.  And it's a race track, not a church.  I remained seated during the prayer (which was very preachy).  Afterwards, when the flag started being raised, I stood up and recited the Pledge with my hand over my heart.

I'm fed up with the unspoken sentiment that only religious people can be/are good and patriotic citizens.  I also dislike a religion trying to put everyone on the spot to conform to their wishes in a public setting; I didn't and won't. 

--Cindy

Board footer