New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2003-06-30 15:32:24

lucke
Banned
Website

Re: Good books you've just read

:laugh:

Has anyone of you read the fantastic poem Genesis, written by Frederick Turner? I?m about to finish it and I think it?s a great book!

#52 2003-08-07 09:10:38

Palomar

Lookit!

*I picked up this book yesterday at the new Barnes & Noble in my city's mall.

I'd seen the ad for this book yesterday at the site in my signature line.  I was previously involved in mysticism and esoterica for years...and enough said on that (won't get real personal here).  Stumbling across Ayn Rand's material helped to clear my head of quite a few clouds (even if I don't agree with her on a few major points and, as you all know, I prefer 18th Century Enlightenment philosophy to her) and got me out of the mysticism morass.

It's definitely recommended reading, regardless of your spiritual persuasion (or lack thereof).

1960s icon Marianne Faithfull's comment appears on the back of the book:  "A really well-researched, well-written book about the moment of destiny from which I, for one, was glad to escape alive."  She also once dated Mick Jagger.

Jerry Stahl wrote:  "In _Turn Off Your Mind_, Gary Lachman Valentine rips flower-power out by the roots to reveal the demented, psychadelic nightmare seething below the surface."

BTW, the author of the book was a founding member of the rock band "Blondie," and wrote some of their earliest hit songs.  Talk about coincidences...I purchased a "Blondie's Greatest Hits" CD just the day before!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#53 2003-08-08 13:29:05

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

While you've been busy reading Shakespeare and the Potter books, I've just finished Project Orion, The True Story of The Atomic Spaceship, by George Dyson and it was a truly great read. Can recommend it to everyone who's interested in the future of space propulsion.

I've read it myself recently too, but I still doubt it is the future of space propulsion, as there are still major shortcomings in the design, most notably in the event a bomb fails to detonate or how to "turn it off" to speak.  The shock absorbers are a little too good. . . .but it is more than worth it to research and go for it espically as its high ISP will facillate asteroid shipping in earth orbit.  Better to explode them there than here (NIMBY) but I am all for it.

Has anyone read Robert Caro's Master of Senate or The Means of Ascent?

Robert Caro is very good at this sort of thing.  I like meaniful verbosity.

How about Truman by david cullulogh?  I thought it was ok.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#54 2003-08-19 07:03:13

dickbill

"La nuit des temps" de Rene Barjavel. It's not a book I just read, actually I read it more than 20 years ago, but I thought about it recently because of the lake Vostok "affair" in antarctica. As you know, this lake has been isolated from millions of years. It probably existed before the continent was covered by ice ! and a recent update mention that it is under gas pressure, O2 precisely. Who knows what Unexpected marvels will be discovered there ?

Rene Barjavel, a french writer, wrote a kind of premonitive book about that : a scientific team after drilling miles of ice, discover, not a lake, but a pure sphere  of gold on the rocky socle of Antarctica....
The translation exists, it is:

"The Ice People"
1971 American translation of the French title: "La Nuit Des Temps", paperback, good+

#55 2003-09-05 05:56:55

Palomar

*I've brought this over from Byron's "KSR's Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars" thread...

Shaun writes:  "When you've read a book, it's easy to sit back and recommend that others do the same. But, Cindy, if you ever get the chance, in your busy schedule, force yourself about 150 pages into "Red Mars" and see what happens. If you still feel the same way about it, well .. what have you lost? But I think you might enjoy the story if you give it a try.

One of these days, I'm going to re-read the entire 1700 pages (or whatever it is) myself. It really is a modern-day classic."

*1700 pages of fiction:  It's not going to happen.  smile  I don't read much fiction, for starters.  Also, I've become so absorbed in my 18th century Enlightenment studies that I haven't managed to finish 2 non-related books, though I've had each for a few months now.

As I've mentioned before, the best sci-fi I've ever read (and I have previously done quite a bit of reading in this regard) is Arthur C. Clarke, particularly:  Childhood's End, Rendezvous with Rama, and 2001:  A Space Odyssey (the book, not the film).

Rendezvous with Rama is my favorite.  Clarke keeps these 3 novels (I dislike his sequels) short, sweet, and to the point.

Have you read a book which you feel completely represents your heart, your deepest inner self?  The social and scientific aura of Rendezvous with Rama is mine; it's the world I would like to live in, i.e. my greatest Ideal.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#56 2003-09-05 10:08:42

George H

One of these days, I'm going to re-read the entire 1700 pages (or whatever it is) myself. It really is a modern-day classic."

*1700 pages of fiction:  It's not going to happen.  smile  I don't read much fiction, for starters.  Also, I've become so absorbed in my 18th century Enlightenment studies that I haven't managed to finish 2 non-related books, though I've had each for a few months now.

As I've mentioned before, the best sci-fi I've ever read (and I have previously done quite a bit of reading in this regard) is Arthur C. Clarke, particularly:  Childhood's End, Rendezvous with Rama, and 2001:  A Space Odyssey (the book, not the film).

Rendezvous with Rama is my favorite.  Clarke keeps these 3 novels (I dislike his sequels) short, sweet, and to the point.

Have you read a book which you feel completely represents your heart, your deepest inner self?  The social and scientific aura of Rendezvous with Rama is mine; it's the world I would like to live in, i.e. my greatest Ideal.

--Cindy

I got Red Mars last week. So far, so good. Cindy c'mon TRY IT. AC Clarke, he's ok. But the story's of his are old. I mean, we don't look TO 2001 anymore, since that was 2 year's ago

#57 2003-09-06 14:42:58

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

I, Claudius

Lots of backstabbing and political intrigue surrounding the life of the emperor Claudius. Excellent read...

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#58 2003-10-02 07:26:20

Palomar

*I saw a book last evening in my newest "Astronomy" magazine issue entitled _Leaving Earth_, by Robert Zimmerman (interesting...that was my 7th grade science teacher's name).  Its subtitle is "Space Stations, Superpowers, and the Quest for Interplanetary Travel." 

Arthur C. Clarke:  "_Leaving Earth_ is one of the best and certainly the most comprehensive summary of our drive into space that I have ever read."

You can preview a full-text, searchable version or buy a downloadable, PDF online at www.nap.edu

It can be ordered by telephoning 1-888-624-7651.

Has anyone read it?  Maybe I'll take a sneak-peek at the web site.  Anyway, just looking for comments.

--Cindy

#59 2003-10-03 10:37:40

Palomar

*I picked up _Something Wicked This Way Comes_ by Ray Bradbury last evening.  Getting in the Halloween mood.  smile  And speaking of that, I've already got my home decorated with autumn and Halloween items.  smile

I love Ray Bradbury, what a terrific author.  Has anyone here read _Fahrenheit 451_?  I did, around 1999.  I know some folks here have read _The Martian Chronicles_.

What an imagination...!

--Cindy

#60 2003-10-03 11:14:27

Josh Cryer

I just finished reading Consider Phelbas, by Iain Banks about a week ago. Really good book. smile

He has the most magnificant vision of the future, and I think the Culture is something that is an ideal sort of society for a highly technological humanity.

I'm working on Inversions (by the same author) currently. I've never been this excited about a scifi author in awhile (ie, KSR).

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#61 2003-10-03 11:33:02

Palomar

*Has anyone read _Snow Crash_ by Neal Stephenson?  It's available at Amazon.com.

A former acquaintance of mine read it and loved it.  I've read the reviews at Amazon.com; it received at least 4-star ratings from reviewers.

Apparently it's a "cyberpunk" near-futuristic novel.  Looks interesting.

--Cindy

#62 2003-10-03 12:19:25

Pat Galea
Banned
Website

*Has anyone read _Snow Crash_ by Neal Stephenson?  It's available at Amazon.com.

Not read that one, but I have read one of his other books Cryptonomicon, which was very entertaining indeed.

From what I've heard, Snow Crash is better.

It's on my list of stuff-to-read-maybe-one-day, so when you've read it, let us know what you think.

#63 2003-10-04 05:00:52

alokmohan

Tell me about the author.

#64 2003-10-08 09:39:55

dickbill

HAve you read the recent "Guide to the traveller to Mars" of William Hartmann ? it's excellent !

#65 2003-10-08 10:10:01

Byron

HAve you read the recent "Guide to the traveller to Mars" of William Hartmann ? it's excellent !

Yes!  Great book with lots of solid info about Mars.

Order your copy today!  smile

B

#66 2003-10-29 21:29:05

Bill White

Has anyone read this book?

It appears to be a new sci-fi novel by Robert Zubrin.

#67 2003-10-30 10:32:38

Palomar

Has anyone read this book?

It appears to be a new sci-fi novel by Robert Zubrin.

*Thanks for referring it to us, Bill. 

Oh.

My.

God. 

One of the reviewers dropped the "V" word (thump, thump),  :laugh:  and a comparison to one of V's works!!:

"Zubrin spares no one from the searchlight of his satirical situations and analyses, although his own position on the (actual) conflict will also be fairly clear by about page 20. It is telling, nonetheless, that the 'solution' his characters reach is not sweeping and global, but begins more along the lines of Voltaire's (Candide) conclusion with regard to the miseries of the world.* Madness is out there; healing and joy are in here, but Zubrin carries the cultivation of the garden a bit farther, mindful of its potential to influence the greater world: even a few small seeds, planted and tended in hope, can yield a lush Eden in the fullness of time."

*I wonder if Z carries the cultivation idea further than V; of course there is the passage of centuries, different times, technology, and two different cultures (Z's and V's) to take into consideration when comparing the two.  Not to mention the already-established very long success (250+ years) of the one.  Anywho --

Does anyone else find it sadly ironic that this book isn't mentioned at the Mars Society web page?  Perhaps because it is of different topic matter, but still...  Or that we're (or some of us, at any rate) just now learning about this book, when possibly non-MS members have already read and reviewed it?  Hmmmmmm.

Although this book looks interesting (given the Middle-Eastern focus ala satire, and not because Zubrin wrote it), I probably will not read it any time soon (I've enough books piled up already, and migraines are becoming more of a problem).

--Cindy

(thump, thump, thump!)  :laugh:

#68 2003-10-31 16:21:21

Cobra Commander

"Project Orion: The True Story of the Atomic Spaceship." by George Dyson (son of Freeman Dyson)

I recommend it to anyone interested in the Orion program.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#69 2003-11-04 11:56:22

Palomar

*The film "Rosemary's Baby" was shown on American Movie Classics a few days before Halloween.  I watched it; I'd previously rented the film a few years before (Roman Polanski directed it; 1968).

I decided to read Ira Levin's novel (published in 1967).  It is a very good read; Levin is a fantastic writer.  Polanski's film kept very solidly true to the book; however, the novel fleshes out the plot and the characters quite a bit more (of course; no time constraints like a film).

If you like a psychological thriller with an occult flair, read the novel.  It is superb; I couldn't put it down all weekend.  Rosemary Woodhouse is a likeable "femme fatale" who certainly evokes my sympathy.

--Cindy

P.S.:  Speaking of Ira Levin, I began reading his novel _The Boys from Brazil_ years ago; I can't recall if I finished it, but I did see the film version of it starring Gregory Peck.  Scary.

#70 2003-11-18 07:03:23

Palomar

*I happened to pick up a paperback book, collection of short stories, yesterday (holiday/yuletide in orientation).

What do I find at the very back of the book?  "The Gift," by Ray Bradbury.  It begins, "There was no room for a tree on the rocket ship to Mars..."

It's a story about a boy's first Christmas/Yule on Mars.  I tried to find it reproduced on the 'net, and would have provided the link for reading, but I couldn't find it via Google.

I wondered if it weren't one of the sections of _The Martian Chronicles_, so checked my copy of that book (which I read about 3 years ago).  "The Gift" is not listed in the Table of Contents, but perhaps it's a smaller portion of a section of that book (but I don't recall this short story having been in _The Martian Chronicles_).

--Cindy  smile

#71 2003-11-18 12:58:29

Wim
Website

I read some books from Ben Bova.
Mars
Return to Mars

I thought they were great. It's not about technical stuff but rather the political side etc ...

Dit anibodie sea my englich somwere ?

#72 2003-11-19 17:40:43

Alt2War

A former acquaintance of mine read it and loved it.  I've read the reviews at Amazon.com; it received at least 4-star ratings from reviewers.

--Cindy

One of my Favorite writers.

It's a fast and easy read.  Light stuff.  Cyberpunk is an interesting style.

#73 2003-11-20 09:50:12

Palomar

--Cindy

*Thanks for the "heads-up," Alt2War.  I've looked for _Snow Crash_ at a few used book stores (don't want to buy it new, considering I haven't read cyberpunk stuff before), but no luck so far.  The title sticks in my mind, though, so I'll have to look it up in a new bookstore sooner or later.  wink

A few days ago I picked up:

_Meditations_ by Marcus Aurelius.  Profound!  I'd been recommended this book quite some time ago; I wish I'd picked it up earlier.  A real treasure-trove of wisdom in this slim volume.

_Queen of France_ (Marie Antoinette), by Andre Castelot.

_Marie Antoinette, The Last Queen of France_ by Evelyne Lever.

--Cindy

#74 2003-11-20 17:51:50

Josh Cryer

I'm on my second reading of Godel, Escher, Bach. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#75 2003-11-21 02:11:48

Alt2War

--Cindy

*Thanks for the "heads-up," Alt2War.  I've looked for _Snow Crash_ at a few used book stores (don't want to buy it new, considering I haven't read cyberpunk stuff before), but no luck so far.  The title sticks in my mind, though, so I'll have to look it up in a new bookstore sooner or later.  wink

A few days ago I picked up:

_Meditations_ by Marcus Aurelius.  Profound!  I'd been recommended this book quite some time ago; I wish I'd picked it up earlier.  A real treasure-trove of wisdom in this slim volume.

_Queen of France_ (Marie Antoinette), by Andre Castelot.

_Marie Antoinette, The Last Queen of France_ by Evelyne Lever.

--Cindy

Snow Crash is mostly about a hacker and a VR world.  Great for Geeks and lovers of Cyberpunk.  Probably not quite ready for middle america smile

I would reccomend, over Snow Crash, The Diamond Age.

It's about Nanotechnology, AI, and fun stuff like that.

Tokyo is Destroyed by an Earthquake, I believe, and is being rebuilt by the new Nanite technology.  The towers of the city are made of diamonds.

But as in all Cyberpunk, the neato near-term tecnological advances are really just background.

Cyberpunk is Near-term Sci-Fi.  Cyberpunk takes current social trends; like the corporatization of government, over-population, the distruction of family and community; and takes them into a dark near-future extreme. 

By exaggerating some of the directions of our current cultural trends we might see more clearly i suppose.

The genre was created by William Gibson.  He coined many of the phrases used in the 90s in his book, Cyberspace for instance.  Aslo fanst and fun reads.  Lots of action, lots of interesting concepts.  Close enough into the future that you can relate, and many of the things we most likely will see before we go tits up.

It was either Gibson or Stephenson that co-authored a book, cyberpunk in the 18th century.

Basicly its a "What if computers were invented and as widespreadly used as today in the Victorian Era"

You may find it interesting, but I could not stomach to finish the book myself.

Board footer