New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#201 2019-10-13 17:27:21

kbd512
Administrator

Re: Advice to parents on school options

SpaceNut,

But these are the only people you want to have guns, right?

#202 2019-11-18 18:09:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems like the occurances of shootings are increasing...
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo … s-shooting

Sometimes there are quite a few that die and other times its all of the near fatal that stand out for statistics.

#203 2019-11-24 20:18:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

#204 2019-11-25 04:08:58

Terraformer
Website

What. The. Hell. Is. That.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#205 2019-12-19 12:09:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its the season of giving of lead...
San Antonio Mall Shooting this time of 4 people

#206 2021-01-19 21:23:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Republicans built up QAnon backer Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, but now are they afraid of what they created?

cultlike QAnon conspiracy theory, accused House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton of encouraging school shootings to push for gun control, calling the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., in which 17 people were killed and 17 others injured, a staged “false flag” operation.

#207 2021-04-18 14:55:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Has anyone else noticed that after the steady anouncements of the pandemic being over that sudden rise of gun violence....

Gun Violence in America: A State-by-State Analysis

Gun Violence by State 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_viole … s_by_state

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m … ted_States

#208 2021-04-18 18:49:01

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

The media wasn't reporting on it because there weren't enough dead bodies, as compared to the pandemic.  However, the violence was increasing all throughout the pandemic lockdowns.  You weren't paying any attention to it because the media sources that you choose to fixate on weren't directing your attention to it.  I guess their ratings have sunk so low without President Trump to pick on that they have to find a new way to continue to get views.  Firearms confiscation is always a loosing proposition for the Democrats, especially now that we have so many brand new Democrat gun owners, so I hope they pursue it and get booted out of office.

#209 2021-06-12 16:40:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Evening news for latest 14 hurt in downtown Austin, Texas mass shooting; police searching for 2 suspects of which the Police arrest 1 of 2 in Austin mass shooting that wounded 14.

4-mass-shootings-in-6-hours-leave-39-wounded-5-dead

#211 2021-06-16 23:18:55

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Allowing Texans to carry firearms means the criminals will have an awfully hard time mass murdering, raping, looting, and pillaging at will.  Irrespective of what some Democrats think about that, many of us think that's a good thing.  Pretty much everyone in America has a gun at this point.  Defunding the Police was pure idiocy, and this is the inevitable result- the exact thing that Democrats say they don't want.  I guess they don't think through the consequences of their actions very much.  More Democrats probably lie about having guns than Republicans, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a home around here, no matter the political persuasion of those living in it, who didn't have at least one, if not several.  This new law simply means they don't need permission from mommy and daddy government to carry the means to defend themselves from violent criminals.  I realize that anarchists and communists are very upset over that fact because they can't simply force everyone else to do their bidding through threats of violence, but that's why the Second Amendment exists.

I almost forgot, but a couple weeks back we had another home invasion while I was in a morning meeting with my boss.  10:12 AM to 10:16AM is when this clown broke into our garage and then busted in the door to our living room, before he quickly thought better of it after I came out into the living room.  The idiot ran off with my wife's bicycle, somehow bent her bicycle wheel in his haste to leave, and then left it at the fence line after he jumped back over the fence to the apartment complex that he no doubt lives in.  We gave the video footage of him to the Police, not that I expect they'll do anything about it.  Said twerp ran off as soon as I came out of my office.  He's not some random teenager, either, and looked to be in his 30s.  This is why we have guns.  My wife and kids shouldn't have to fear random men breaking into our home, a place where they have every right to be whilst crooks have none.

I got a brand new table saw out of the deal to repair our door, which I will also use for other home improvement projects and it's helping to build my plane, so I'm not that upset over it.  I thought it was rather humorous that the guy stole a bike, but none of the expensive tools sitting around that were more valuable than the bicycle that he was obviously too much of a moron to ride without destroying.  Maybe thieves are allergic to real work.  Then again, I don't know what goes through the mind of a garden variety moron, if anything at all.

#212 2021-06-17 02:00:11

Calliban

I don't disagree with what Kbd512 has said.  But the right to bare arms has more to do with citizens having the power to remove a corrupt government, than it does with protecting people from crime.  The sort of thing that happened on Capital Hill, is exactly what the founding fathers of the Republic wanted to see happen, if government ever loses sight of its duty to the people.  This is why Democrats want gun law restrictions.  Incidentally, this is exactly why the British government does not allow it's people to bare arms.  In Britain, although it does say 'British Citizen' on our passports, we are in reality, subjects to Her Majesty's government.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#213 2021-06-17 18:24:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Kbd512 sorry about the home intruder but glad all is safe for the family...something simular happened to my own parents where we grew up as that teen was drunk when he decided to break in luckily and was arrested for doing so....

The gun right I can see but when there is no checks or balances on whom should get them we will continue to have problems in the general public area.

In the home to stop intruders is an agreeable location but you must guard them when children are involved...

The nuts that fire multiple shoots willy nilly can be quite the problem when other start opening fire and miss and for those that join in late they might not be shooting the original offender.
Then again if it starts out with multiple offenders then we really have to watch out for the would be perceived to be part of the additional
crew going wild when you start adding lead to a crowd....

In other words each case will be different for when it will be right to use the crowd control method and others it will just add to the problem...

America should be well past that point of needing to remove a corrupt government for the need for guns...

#214 2021-10-30 21:06:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

#215 2021-10-31 01:08:18

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Yeah, this wasn't some dumb drunk kiddo who got lost on his way home.  This was a full grown adult man, 25 to 30 years old and at least as big as I am, who went around to the back of my house and kicked down my door in broad daylight while I and all of my children were at home.  If it was my wife at home instead of me, he probably would've done whatever the hell he wanted to.  Since it was me he was facing down, he wisely decided that he had urgent business elsewhere.  I actually care about my family members, even if Democrats don't, and choose to protect them using real physical security, rather than empty platitudes or excuses or absurdly bad ideas about self-defense that their proponents have never personally attempted.

We have problems with gun violence because Democrats refuse to prosecute violent felons to the fullest extent of the law.  The people firing indiscriminately are all violent felons that Democrats refuse to prosecute.  There's also a literal handful of whack-jobs who "just go nuts one day", and there's little to nothing we can do about them, specifically because they are so nutty.  Those guys should be involuntarily committed, but that would be "violating their civil rights" or "right to medical privacy", after they go and tell a psychiatrist or a beat cop about all the people they intend to murder, first chance they get.  Instead, they release the gang bangers and the nutters and the drug addicts right back into the general public, where they simply continue their murder and mayhem crime sprees.

That's how an increasing number of both civilians and Houston Police Officers have recently been murdered here in Houston, a city run by Democrats.  All Democrat-run cities have become that way, because Democrat politicians are only loyal to their ideology, whatever that happens to be at the moment, whatever is required to get them elected, not to "We, The People".  They don't think America belongs to Americans and they don't think they're accountable to the American people.  They will do any deed and tell any lie, no different from the communists, and their political party gleefully encourages that sort of behavior whenever it supports party ideology.  That's just blatantly obvious now.

My advice to Democrats is that they quit voting for evil clowns who perpetuate or encourage or simply ignore violence whenever it suits their politics, provided that Democrats actually want less violence.  In much the same way that owning a gun doesn't grant someone the power to be careless or stupid with that tool, neither does owning a vote.  Both can be equally dangerous in careless or untrained hands.

America will never be past the point of needing guns to remove a corrupt government, because malevolence isn't something that can be removed from human nature.  What all peoples of all nations should be past at this point, is the need to explain such a simple concept to any citizen who wishes to remain free and secure.  You can never abdicate your absolute responsibility to defend the weak and vulnerable from the violent thugs, no matter how scary those criminals appear to be.  Government will never do it for you, no matter how much power you allow them to assert, no matter how many freedoms you give up in the name of "safety" (which doesn't exist anywhere outside of your three pound universe, never has, and never will), no matter how much loyalty you show to people who aren't loyal to you.

If the threat of retaliation for malicious behavior on the government's part is entirely removed, then government will do unto you, whatever it damn well pleases, because they're reasonably sure that there's nothing you're going to do about it until they take everything you have.  It doesn't matter how many nuclear weapons or fighter jets our government has, either, unless they're going to start indiscriminately mass murdering civilians.  If they do start doing that, then you for damn sure need your guns!  The mere fact that I have to explain that to another American tells me that I'm no longer living in a free society.

Continuing to live in the land of the free requires a little bravery from time to time.  I can't be a good little slave.  That's what it ultimately boils down to for me.  It's just not in my nature.  There are fates worse than death, and slavery is one of them.  Lots of countries have voted in totalitarianism over the past century or so.  None have ever voted totalitarianism out.

#216 2021-10-31 09:24:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

I grew up in a home that had guns and we were taught that they were not toys to play with and back then they were not in a gun safe with tons of trigger locks. We went through the hunter safety courses in order to hold a license let along be able to buy a gun back then and when you died they were not tossed out as trash but were handed down.

We are not "violating their civil rights" if they commit a crime and hiding behind a diagnostics as given by a doctor for "right to medical privacy", when they commit a crime is splitting hairs something that is over stressed to get them an out as they know what they are doing as they are not vegetables.

Violent acts of the black life and the insurrection are all the same for violence that should not be condoned...

#217 2021-10-31 16:56:11

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

I don't personally hunt wild animals, but support those who do, since they typically contribute money to wildlife funds and cull excess animal populations that would otherwise damage the natural habitat of the game animals they hunt.  I have been known to stalk a sirloin or pork chop or chicken breast at the local supermarket, though.  I will fish with friends and family, given the opportunity.  I haven't had my own fishing pole and tackle since I was a child.  We do routinely visit national parks to observe animals in their natural environment.

My sister's husband is an avid hunter, he and his boys use firearms / crossbows / spears to take wild boars, deer, and pheasants.  When they didn't have a lot of money, that's how they put meat in their freezer.  He's taken what would otherwise be thousands of dollars worth of pork chops and deer steaks to help feed them and their dog.  Food security is real issue for less wealthy people and Texas has a serious wild boar problem, so hunters are encouraged to take and eat the excess boars and deer.  As they started making more money, they started "hunting" more often at the supermarket.  People who have enough money can afford to do that.  Go figure.

Anyway, I don't let my children or anybody's children "play with guns", either.  When I first allowed my children to shoot my guns, I was so close to them that I could literally grab their hand or arm to prevent them from pointing the firearm back at themselves or others, until such time that I could completely trust that they're consciously competent / fully aware of what they were doing, that they were aware of the fact that they were holding a lethal weapon in their hands, and that it's their sole responsibility to point their firearm away from all other people and themselves at all times, even when both other people and they, themselves, are moving around with a firearm in hand.

When they get to the point that I never have to remind them to take their finger off the trigger after firing, never have to remind them to keep it pointed downrange when loading / unloading, and never have to remind them that the very first thing they do after picking up a firearm is to check to determine if it's loaded, all while keeping their fingers or clothing or any other objects away from the trigger, then I no longer need to worry about their ability to manipulate a firearm without posing a danger to themselves or others.

After they prove to me that they understand that a firearm is not a toy and that a firearm can easily injure or kill if mishandled, even from a momentary lapse in judgement, then I can begin teaching them how to use a firearm as a weapon to protect themselves and others.  That process of earning my trust takes years.  Learning to use a firearm as a weapon takes many more years.  There is never any point when "they know it all", nor any point when "I know it all".  It's a constant learn / practice / train process, all directed at becoming increasingly proficient at manipulating a weapon.

Very similar rules apply to archery, which my children also participate in.  A bow and arrow is another type of weapon, there are specific rules for using them, and violating those rules also has severe consequences.  That point is reinforced to both the children and adults at the archery range.  Firearms, bows, drills, table saws, welding equipment, and engines are all power tools that must be respected.

Before we ever go to a range, we have our firearms safety brief, a recital of the rules surrounding the handling of firearms, a demonstration of the rules regarding handling of firearms, and in addition to that, we have a first aid brief.  I'm not of the opinion that accidents can never happen, so you should know what to do if accidents do happen.  This is why we have and carry first aid kits and training to use those first aid kits.  This also helps to reinforce the point that firearms are purposefully designed to injure or kill.

The more people who we teach these things to, the fewer "tragic accidents" (easily avoidable injuries and deaths, in most cases) we will suffer through.  Personal responsibility will not happen unless it is taught at home and constantly reinforced.

As far as the issue with criminally insane people is concerned, I'm telling you what's going on, not what I would hope would go on.  After these people profess to wanting to kill themselves and others, a psychiatrist writes them a proscription for a medication, and then they're turned right back out onto the streets.  So long as they take their meds, they'll probably be fine.  The problem starts the moment these people think they no longer need to take their meds.

#218 2021-11-30 09:36:22

Mars_B4_Moon

9 Years Into Obama's Common Core?
https://newspunch.com/obama-common-core-math-scores/

Federally funded critical race theory program removes 'critical race theory' from description
https://justthenews.com/government/fede … tical-race

Detroit School Superintendent: "Our Curriculum Is Deeply Using Critical Race Theory"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 … ce-theory/

Moms for Liberty CriticalRaceTheory Complaint Against WilliamsonCounty Schools Rejected by Tennessee Department of Education
https://tennesseestar.com/2021/11/30/ac … education/

Six Obama Era Education Policy Mistakes Joe Biden Should Avoid
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petergreen … uld-avoid/

LA schools
https://thefederalist.com/2021/11/30/lo … ce-theory/

kbd512 wrote:

Many more than that were shot in Chicago last weekend, yet you made no mention of those people.  Chicago has the "gun control" laws that Democrats say they want.

Doesn't upset the system so it doesnt make the news, I believe areas like Detroit, Portland, or Chicago can some times have dozens shot and some killed in mass shootings every weekend, even during the Cold Winter the numbers are still high.

#219 2022-05-14 19:52:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

#220 2022-05-24 16:21:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Another 18 year old that has attacked killing 14  plus injuring just as many more in an elementary school filled with 2 nd to 4th graders along with a teacher. BCP did show up and did kill the assailant.

#221 2022-05-24 17:44:39

Mars_B4_Moon

Sounds like that one was a Hispanic illegal who liked to dress as a transexual, he or she had already been wanted for murdering Grandma. The Buffalo shooter was highly active on Twitch tv gamer site and Reddit as user 'Jimbo-boiii' he was talking about guns and bullets just before the shooting, had been known to Police and FBI for already making terrorist threats, reddit has tried to cover the whole thing up but the interwebs archives are forever.

As bizarre and horrific as these shootings are, it typically will not pass a normal shooting weekend in Baltimore, Portland, Chicago etc

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-05-24 17:48:17)

#222 2022-06-24 16:54:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

we will see if this changes anything for the rise in gun muders.
Congress passes gun bill, sends it to Joe Biden to sign

#223 2022-06-24 20:47:32

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

It likely won't do anything at all, apart from possibly increasing the murder rate, because criminals don't obey laws.  The only "magic wand" that the government can possibly waive at the violence problem, is to prosecute and incarcerate violent felons, or to commit the criminally insane.  Your favorite political party has greater difficulty with understanding the definitions of simple words like "criminal", than any other group of people on this planet.  Everything else they do is performative art, a show put on for their benefit, in order to distract your attention away from the fact that the people you vote for really don't have your best interests at heart and are merely obsessed with furthering their own power over you, much like that other group of criminals.  Maybe you prefer to be lorded over by bureaucrats, but some of us don't find them very useful.  Democrats typically make decisions based upon raw emotion, so most of what they come up with is utterly lacking for substance.

None of what your Derpistanis just did would've prevented El Locoweed, or whatever that nutter's name was, from murdering a bunch of school children.  There seems to be a disconnect that prevents your favorite political party from understanding that criminals are not all complete morons, unlike them, and that humans are sadly... highly inventive in the ways they choose to hurt each other.  If that turd couldn't get his hands on a firearm, then he'd get a school bus instead, and then drive it over a cliff while it's loaded with children, or into a crowd of children waiting for the bus.  That's how sick some of these cretins are.

Criminals are this class of people who are so stupid that they never bother reading any of the brain droppings that politicians scribble on paper, seemingly to "prove to the world" who the class of "greater idiots" truly are.  It's never going to have the desired effect.  Sorry.  The only thing that would've saved those kids would've been an armed parent or teacher who was having none of that man-child's murderous temper tantrum.

#224 2022-06-25 01:40:45

clark

Meanwhile in Australia, where they suppressed gun rights after school shootings and murders, saw a drastic reduction in toddlers being shot.

I guess it must be cultural because there is no way we would see similar outcomes in the USA.

But hey, we have crossing guards for busy intersections, so why not a fully armed parent on a high stool and a trigger twitch to ensure kid safety. Go America!

#225 2022-06-25 05:01:58

kbd512
Administrator

clark,

People have rights.  Guns are inanimate objects.  When last I checked, we don't grant or take away rights from non-living objects.  One of the rights of Americans, as citizens rather than subjects, is the right to self defense using weapons.  Australia was a penal colony of the United Kingdom, and in the United Kingdom you're a subject, not a citizen, so you have no rights.  Australia effectively took away the right of their people to defend themselves, which I'm sure would be fine with you, but not with most Americans.  Australia also recently put their own citizens in concentration camps over COVID hysteria, which I'm quite sure you take no issue with, but again this is America, not Australia or Germany or Russia or China or Viet Nam or Cambodia, at least for now.

The rate of assault in Australia is more than 135% that of the US.
The rate of assault in Scotland is 617% that of the US.
The rate of assault in England / Wales is 303% that of the US.

In Mexico, where the people have been functionally disarmed by their government, the homicide rate is 451% of the US homicide rate.  There's no shortage of guns in Mexico, but they're almost universally in the hands of the criminals there.  Violence problem?  Yeah, I'd say so, but it's not the fault of the inanimate objects designed to kill, it's the fault of the people who have them- the criminals, rather than law abiding citizens.

So, you get beaten, raped, and robbed more often in those other countries, as compared to the US, ignoring our nearest neighbor completely, but not killed.  Here in America, we use firearms to cut down on all those other crimes which most leftists think don't matter until they're the victim, and then they blame our government, especially the Police, for "not taking care of them".  I think most of them are too stupid to figure out what the actual purpose of government is.  Government is a bunch of self-serving crooks who never gave a crap about you and never will.  You know, people like those Police Officers in Uvalde who stood around outside listening to the screams for help from the victims while they were being murdered.

The only time you're "safe" is when you're dead.  Nothing that other humans will do can hurt you after you're dead.  Being dead is equivalent to "being safe".  At all other times, you're subject to the violent and unpredictable behavior of those other humans you're living with.  Many of us think that the most well-proven way to curb the worst excesses of violent humans in positions of power over other humans is to arm all of them who can feasibly be armed.  Some will inevitably die as a result, yet many many more will lead long, happy, and productive lives.

Criminals inevitably seek to do harm against the weakest and most vulnerable amongst us, specifically because they have a callous disregard for others, and as a result the "special few" bring untold misery to the many.  I would love to live in a world where firearms were completely unnecessary, but that fantasy land doesn't exist and it never will so long as humans are animals.

Board footer