New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2020-12-02 05:11:51

jfenciso

Re: Soil Manufacture on Mars

SpaceNut wrote:

Seems we are way off topic on building soils to grow food in...

Building fertile soils

Building Soil, Building the Future

Build better garden soils

8 Steps for Making Better Garden Soil

Making Biochar to Improve Soil

other words carbon in the soil is good for plant growth

I have a doubt to use biochar in space because you will use a lot of oxygen and electrical energy to ignite the crop waste. I need to study more about biochar. This time, I am skeptical about biochar. We need to balance and account for the use of resources like air in a closed-loop habitat system. No resources should be wasted.

I'm Jayson from the Philippines. I am a Master's degree student at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, Laguna. My major degree is in Botany (specializing in Plant Physiology), and minor in Agronomy. My research interests are Phytoremediation, Plant-Microbe Interaction, Plant Nutrition, and Plant Stress Physiology.

#27 2020-12-02 18:28:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Human Waste recovery plus all other recycling from the 6 to 8 month journey to mars would be the means to jump start Mars in situ but that mass volume is the problem for the landing along with the storage.

#28 2020-12-02 22:54:20

jfenciso

SpaceNut wrote:

Human Waste recovery plus all other recycling from the 6 to 8 month journey to mars would be the means to jump start Mars in situ but that mass volume is the problem for the landing along with the storage.

I will try later to look for a research paper about the possibility of human waste produced from Mars. big_smile

I'm Jayson from the Philippines. I am a Master's degree student at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, Laguna. My major degree is in Botany (specializing in Plant Physiology), and minor in Agronomy. My research interests are Phytoremediation, Plant-Microbe Interaction, Plant Nutrition, and Plant Stress Physiology.

#29 2020-12-06 21:39:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

What A Simulated Mars Mission Taught Me About Food Waste
This is also a waste in that we grow food and are not eating it all...but then again put it into a compost or bio reactor and make extra fuels and use it for enriching the soils comes to mind as to methods of reuse.

#30 2021-06-11 14:58:55

Mars_B4_Moon

Will a Mouse be one of the first creatures to set foot in the Mars colony before man?
I think I might finally understand that ridiculous Saturday morning kids cartoon 'Biker Mice from Mars'

You might be eating mouse burgers

More fertile Soils made from mouse poop and dead decaying plants from hydro farms in space?

Space Agriculture: Crops Can Be Grown on Moon and Mars Soil
https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/2 … d-mars.htm

Soils are monitored in far away places on Earth, Waste is Recycled in remote Places like Iceland.

Iceland Waste Disposal and Recycling
https://reykjavik.is/en/waste-disposal-and-recycling
Microbial Nitrogen Cycling in Antarctic Soils
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2607/8/9/1442/htm

Scientists Produce Healthy Mice From Sperm Kept in Space for Nearly 6 Years
https://www.space.com/space-pups-born-f … ouse-sperm

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-06-11 15:00:43)

Board footer