New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2013-03-05 19:07:00

louis

Re: Inspiration Mars Foundation

Number04 wrote:

Terraformer - It's his money (in part) so he can spend it how he wants. While it might not be the most financially efficient mission, but if it captures the imagination of the world like Apollo, it will be worth every cent, and then some.

GW Johnson - I agree with you about the micro gravity. Yes, it adds complexity, time and fuel. But they will be in space for 500 days, minor issues will quickly become major annoyances. A stressed crew could lead to mission disaster. Yes, people have spent lots of time in freefall, but not while there is a 30 minute communication delay. That's going to add a whole new layer of stress.

I'm also wondering what experiments the crew will take along. Small lander, telescope, sensors etc.

I definitely vote for a small lander - it will complete the narrative if they get within 100 miles and then launch a small lander.  Next step - a human landing.

Not sure myself about the micro-gravity. It adds risk as much as it adds health protection - uncontrolled spin is one of the most deadly things in space. 

I prefer a brisk incremental approach - so let's have some months long tours around the Moon first.  Let's have people in orbit for 2 years.  Tito needs to get started  on all that very quickly - within 2 years.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#27 2013-03-14 07:11:58

cIclops

louis wrote:

I definitely vote for a small lander - it will complete the narrative if they get within 100 miles and then launch a small lander.

Absolutely not! This mission will be at or maybe beyond the state of the art, they need to keep it as simple as possible and not add any extra complexity or mass. Micro landers can be shot to Mars on other launchers.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#28 2013-03-14 19:43:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

While a mission that loops around mars and just comes back is a simple mission its the duration and consumables that cause it to not be so simple....

#29 2013-11-24 09:05:32

cIclops

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#30 2013-11-24 09:12:45

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Its basically a temporary space station in a 501 day orbit with a crew of two people. The question is what is to be done on the fly by of Mars, will it deploy some rovers to be controlled in real time, and how long will the ship be close enough to Mars to do so real time control of those rovers?

I think a similar mission to Venus might make more sense, when is the next free return orbit to Venus, I bet this mission could be conducted in less than 500 days since Venus is closer, and both Earth and Venus are in nearly circular orbits, and Venus might be more appropriate for a honeymoon trip. wink

Last edited by Tom Kalbfus (2013-11-24 09:15:01)

#31 2013-11-24 11:24:27

GW Johnson
Website

The real point of the Tito mission is to shame NASA,  ESA,  and the rest,  into actually doing something.  I heard him and Zubrin say so at the convention in Boulder. 

This is a fast loop-around of Mars,  not an orbital stay.  They will be close enough to Mars to do some photography and maybe some small science,  for about a day or two.  Nothing more.  It would be hard to successfully fling a small lander from a fast flyby like that,  but I think it might make sense to try one or two.  Very tiny ones. 

What's really to be demonstrated is a capability of voyaging for 500 days.  My biggest reservations:  (1) microgravity diseases will proceed to the fatality point without artificial gravity by spin,  and (2) I've seen little or no radiation protection,  leading to a lost crew if there is a solar flare/mass ejection event during the mission that hits them.  The odds are significant because the window is 500 days long.  The minimalist plan does not address these critical issues. 

Enough living space for two is questionable,  and I'd bet they have to rely on real canned and frozen foods,  which will complicate their weight problems (the plastic bagged "canned" stuff only lasts about 12 to 18 months).  But I think they will address these issues OK. 

Propulsion:  they don't need to wait around for SLS.  Falcon-Heavy should fly out of Vandenburg pretty soon.  If it takes two heavies and docking in LEO to pull this off,  then so be it.  Even if it takes three,  so be it.  That's something we know how to do.

I just pray they address spin gravity and a radiation shelter in the design.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

Board footer